Talk

Advanced search

to think "get back from where you came from" is so inappropriate?

(22 Posts)
onenameonly1 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:08:59

activity where everyone has to move seats.

leader then says "okay everyone get back to where you came from!" then claps her hand over her mouth and giggles and says "oops sorry, didn't mean to sound like a BNP supporter."

completely inappropriate in a room full of black, Asian and Chinese people? or aibu?

Coldlightofday Mon 31-Mar-14 21:10:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 31-Mar-14 21:11:10

Which bit do you think was inappropriate? The foot in mouth start? The attempt to apologise? The attempt to make a joke of an awkward faux pas? The giggle?

Aeroflotgirl Mon 31-Mar-14 21:11:57

Yabvvu get a grip. She was not being racist, but telling people to go back to their seats hmm

CorusKate Mon 31-Mar-14 21:12:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MamaPain Mon 31-Mar-14 21:15:57

I think thats quite funny, and I'm married to an immigrant!

Poor woman probably just said it then heard herself and though FUCK that sounds a bit dodgy.

GreenLandsOfHome Mon 31-Mar-14 21:18:47

I think it's quite funny actually.

CrohnicallyChanging Mon 31-Mar-14 21:19:17

Sounds funny to me, and I've had it said to me in a decidedly threatening manner before. Have you never said anything innocently, then realised it could be interpreted in a completely different way?

BillyBanter Mon 31-Mar-14 21:19:53

Surely you've done something similar yourself, surely we all have. Say something entirely innocent, realise how it sounds then compound the faux pas in our clumsy effort to rectify it. Then hide under our duvet every time it comes to mind for days or years.

Burren Mon 31-Mar-14 21:20:30

Which bit precisely are you objecting to, as someone else said? The original remark, the giggle, the supplement?

She originally just gave a concrete instruction and realised it sounded, entirely unintentionally, like something from Enoch Powell's 'Rivers of Blood' speech and made a self-deprecating joke to acknowledge that in the context of a room full of ethnic minority people, it was capable of other interpretations.

Would you have preferred if she had just left the original instruction hanging in the air, while she tormented herself worrying that she had said something that could be construed as racist and other people in the room looked askance at her?

phonebox Mon 31-Mar-14 21:21:12

Were you the leader, OP? grin

Wizardsleeveoh Mon 31-Mar-14 21:21:26

I'm offended!! I pay my taxes .....

LineRunner Mon 31-Mar-14 21:22:37

I think any mention of the BNP is gauche at best.

Viviennemary Mon 31-Mar-14 21:22:49

It sounds like something out of the Father Ted comedy show. I don't think many people would be offended by this.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 31-Mar-14 21:24:06

I am an immigrant and work as a facilitator. What people don't realise is that when you are running training you are thinking about:

The time and what you can fit in
The schedule and what comes next
Who is looking bored/tired/lonely
Have you covered enough
Is it going in
Who last spoke/answered and who hasn't yet
Have you covered all the teaching styles
Is the room comfortable (generally you are hotter than the participants because you are moving more)
Do you have to do certificates/food/seating or anything else

Sometimes your brain is too busy and something stupid comes out.

AfricanExport Mon 31-Mar-14 21:24:47

Yes. and you cannot mention the bridge is sloped on case there is a Chinese person on it.

ffs .. people need to get a grip. Soon we will just stop communicating for fear of upsetting someone.

SaucyJack Mon 31-Mar-14 21:27:15

Did she goose step a la Basil Fawlty?

onenameonly1 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:27:24

phonebox - rumbled.

Oh thank God, I have honestly been so stressed and worried about this. I swear I meant nothing at all by it but there were so many people of different nationalities, I am absolutely dying.

They all laughed and were SO nice - but I just can't help but think they went home and said they went on a course run by Nick Griffin's wife blush

RiverTam Mon 31-Mar-14 21:28:32

it would never have occurred to me that anything was dodgy about what she said, in the context she said it, but I tend to take most things at face value.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 31-Mar-14 21:30:14

Sorry OP. Don't worry, whatever we say you will die a little inside every time you think about it. Enjoy. grin

DebbieOfMaddox Mon 31-Mar-14 21:30:25

YABU to be doing reverse AIBUs. The accidental comment, not so much.

phonebox Mon 31-Mar-14 21:31:17

I think it makes you sound as if you're anti-BNP, if anything. Which is surely a good thing to most people!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now