Talk

Advanced search

To not understand why working class people might support UKIP?

(65 Posts)
Scarletohello Mon 31-Mar-14 20:27:50

They are so far to the right of the Tories but it seems like UKIP are gaining more support from working class people than the middle class. Just because Nigel Farrage smokes fags and likes a pint does not mean that he has anything to offer the working class. Is it just because they are brainwashed by The Sun and The Daily Mail? I find it really worrying as I think they are a very divisive and dangerous influence in British society. Blaming immigrants for our problems is not the solution and is not only scapegoating sections of society but not offering any real solutions to the problems we face.

Lagos Mon 31-Mar-14 20:30:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

formerbabe Mon 31-Mar-14 20:30:46

Whilst the upper/middle classes benefit from the cheap labour that immigrants provide, the working class are the ones being undercut.

meditrina Mon 31-Mar-14 20:32:09

I don't think you can generalise across a whole class.

But do yo really fail to grasp a pretty basic pont that cannot people have different political views? And the right wing is not beyond the pale, though sometimes unfashionable..

usualsuspectt Mon 31-Mar-14 20:33:47

It's got nothing to do with class.

NurseyWursey Mon 31-Mar-14 20:34:32

From your post OP it would seem you've made your mind up and think the working class support UKIP because of the immigrant point.

You do know a lot of working class people are intelligent enough to make their own minds up about who they vote for and aren't brainwashed.

And how very patronising, I'm working class, and I certainly don't like the man because he 'smokes fags and drinks pints'. I don't like him at all. hmm

HowContraryMary Mon 31-Mar-14 20:35:46

But we are a classless society.
www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/10288312/A-Classless-Society-Britaininthe-1990s-by-Alwyn-Turner-review.html

usualsuspectt Mon 31-Mar-14 20:35:59

And they don't all read The Sun and The DM either.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Mon 31-Mar-14 20:37:56

It's divide-and-conquer politics. Owen Jones wrote eloquently about it in Chavs. Someone will be along in a minute who paid more attention while reading it.

I agree, they're divisive and dangerous.

Whiskwarrior Mon 31-Mar-14 20:38:52

I'm working class and I'm clearly doing it wrong. I don't drink (almost teetotal) and don't smoke. Don't read the tabloids and my SIL is an immigrant.

I'm going to go and practice snarling 'go back to your own country' in the bathroom mirror.

joanofarchitrave Mon 31-Mar-14 20:39:07

I dislike UKIP intensely and I can see why people support them. The restricted political class IMO is a real thing and i think many people despair of anyone expressing a non-spun view of their own. Of course, UKIP has the problem of finding that when people express non-spun views, they are often in fact extremely unpopular, which is why we have spin in the first place.

Scarletohello Mon 31-Mar-14 20:40:13

People are spectacularly missing the point. Guess no one has just watched the C4 documentary about Nigel Faerage. UKIP are now gaining most of their votes from working class people. I understand they don't feel the current parties are representing them but neo fascism is not the way to go.

Lagos Mon 31-Mar-14 20:42:48

NurseyWursey Mon 31-Mar-14 20:43:41

No-one missed the point, you just didn't make it very well with your ridiculous stereotypical comments.

Lagos Mon 31-Mar-14 20:44:16

MamaPain Mon 31-Mar-14 20:44:20

Where is the evidence they are gaining votes from the working class, I watched that programme (admittedly cooking at the same time) and I didn't see anything conclusive.

Also you are doing what you have accused others of; scapegoating sections of society. The only UKIP supporters I've encountered were visibly middle class, all village fayres and horses.

usualsuspectt Mon 31-Mar-14 20:53:05

Most of the UKIP supporters on MN are very much not WC.

Coldlightofday Mon 31-Mar-14 20:54:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArtFine Mon 31-Mar-14 20:57:13

It's easier for people to have someone to blame for their own weaknesses and problems. Working class tend to have (not always) have less satisfaction with their life.

MaryWestmacott Mon 31-Mar-14 21:04:35

Because there are downsides to immigration, as well as the upsides. I do feel that overall, the upsides outweigh the downsides, but am aware that the downsides are disproportionately felt by the working classes, not the middle classes.

Because none of the main political parties are all that fussed about the working class vote, labour takes it for granted they have no alternative, libdems and Tories aren't all that bothered about chasing them, and suddenly there's a 3rd option to "vote labour or don't vote at all". A lot of those people voting UKIP don't really want a UKIP government, they want to be heard and this is a good way to stop labour taking them for granted.

Not a fan of UKIP actually, just also not a fan of the assumption working class people are voting for them because they are thick.

And I do believe there was an article in the Guardian saying that surprisingly, most the UKIP voters (not the donors or the high profile supporters, but the actual voters) are WC - the comments underneath were full of people saying "no, your research is wrong, Labour don't have to worry about them, it's only Tories who are voting for them" completely ignoring the research that didn't suit their world view!

phonebox Mon 31-Mar-14 21:04:54

Is there more fascism or neo-nazism within WC communities?

I'm genuinely asking - just based on my facebook feed it seems so. Some of my old classmates are fierce EDL supporters and will vote for UKIP as they are the closest 'popular' party with a chance of significant House of Commons representation.

LalaLeona Mon 31-Mar-14 21:11:57

The wealthy tend to live in 'naice' areas more populated by white English people..therefore are pretty ignorant about the negative issues resulting from mass immigration. Poorer people might live among immigrants in the area they live in, and can perhaps see a clearer picture if that makes sense..sorry if that sounds bad..

fayrae Mon 31-Mar-14 21:12:20

It's nothing to do with "fascism". Working class people just see their wages stagnating and pressures on housing and other services increasing due to immigration. Meanwhile middle-class people just see an increased choice of restaurants and cheaper nannies/plumbers/etc.

How many working-class people do you think would vote Labour if it wasn't for the benefits?

LalaLeona Mon 31-Mar-14 21:13:09

Not saying that I agree with it but it seems that way to me..

meddie Mon 31-Mar-14 21:14:52

because mass immigration affected the working class and those on minimum wage the most. You cant compete on wages against groups of migrant workers who are willing to house share to keep outgoings to a minimum and undercut local tradesman to get themselves established.
I have no argument against immigration personally, but I do see people who have been negatively impacted by the mass immigration during Labours term of office.
If youre in a good job, live in a 'naice' area then having cheap hardworking tradesman/cleaners and that cute little deli in the high street is bloody lovely. If youre a builder trying to pay the rent on your own home and youre losing jobs to migrant workers then not so lovely.
Most dont care what UKIP's manifesto actually is. they just want to protect their own livelyhood and UKIP appears to be the only one willing to stand up for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now