Talk

Advanced search

Ex Partner and Mothers Day Ranty Rant Rant

(38 Posts)
Mum2Milo Mon 31-Mar-14 17:01:37

ARGHHH I'm so utterly annoyed! I split up with my ex of 10 years last year, it was completely amicable. However, as I was the one brave enough to say �this just isn�t working anymore� I was riddled with guilt and as I result I walked away from our mortgaged house leaving it to him (it costs �200 less than my rent a month) and I moved out with our 4 year old son. (While I was in the processing of moving out he had already started going on dates with a friends sister, I couldn�t care less at that point and just wanted out).

As another act of kindness I continued to allow my sons child benefit to to be paid into his account rather than mine as there was a shortfall between what he earned and what he owed.

As it stands I currently work 37 hours a week, while caring for my son 6 out of 7 days of the week (his father has him every Saturday night) all without ever being offered nor asking for a single penny from his father. I pay for everything.

So, he now has a 21 year old girlfriend (his friends sister) who is still in University (we�re in our thirties), he wants to move around 30 miles to be closer to her and already feels that by seeing his son once a week he more than justifies his role as father and in-fact he�s a wonderful father (he didn�t contact his son on his 3rd birthday). For the 6 days he doesn�t see him he literally never contacts to find out if he�s ok.

He also informed me that he�s going on holidays for 2 weeks with his girlfriend next month. As a result he can�t offer me one single day of support throughout the summer half term, the thought didn�t even enter his head. So he has left me to juggle 48 days of school holidays with my 21 days of annual leave.

So, I thought to myself yesterday morning I wonder if I will receive at the very most a text to say thanks for everything I do for our son�.NOTHING!

So, this morning I decided to change the bank details for my sons child benefit so he doesn�t get it anymore, but I haven�t told him.
(I must add I�m really not a pushover, most people would describe me as strong willed and independent. I was just overcome by guilt and a genuine remorse for not being able to stay together for our son)
AIBU?

Lagos Mon 31-Mar-14 17:04:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MrsMcEnroe Mon 31-Mar-14 17:07:31

Given that you pay for the things your child needs 6/7ths of the time, I'd say YANBU. Unless you've been ordered by a court to pay maintenance to him? - no, thought not. YANBU.

TalkieToaster Mon 31-Mar-14 17:07:32

That's exactly right, Lagos. I hope you mean that in the sense that the OP's ex isn't the resident parent and isn't contributing financially, so of course it should be the OP who receives it.

YellowDinosaur Mon 31-Mar-14 17:08:15

Exactly lagos. So it should go to the resident parent that the child spends 6 out of 7 days with. He should also be paying maintenance.

KellyHopter Mon 31-Mar-14 17:09:33

Urgh, what on earth did you ever see in him?

Mum2Milo Mon 31-Mar-14 17:10:40

Oh I forgot that part "apparently" the child benefit (I think its called that, its the �80 something a month) was now being used to do fun things on the day he had him (which involved paying for him and his girlfriend) when I queried it last month as he'd recently started a new job. To which my reply was, but I need that money to feed him and put clothes on him, no response!

MrsMcEnroe Mon 31-Mar-14 17:12:04

Honestly, YANBU, you're really not!

TalkieToaster Mon 31-Mar-14 17:15:22

I used to work in tax credits, many many moons ago. Sometimes we'd get parents disputing residency and insisting they should be the ones in receipt of the money. When that happened, we'd look at things like which parent was responsible for arranging medical appointments and the main one was 'Who does the child live with for most of the time?'. I think child benefit use similar criteria and you meet it by MILES. No question that it should be you receiving it. None at all.

HowContraryMary Mon 31-Mar-14 17:16:19

What has mothers day got to do with it?

Mum2Milo Mon 31-Mar-14 17:16:31

I literally have no idea what I saw in him. He genuinely thinks he is the most incredible father in the world. When quite frankly, hes possibly one of the worst I know. He can't see it though. He really thinks he does everything a father should do. I don't receive any financial support of him for my son and never have. I had to go away for 5 days with work recently, he had the opportunity to spend a few extra days with him over the weekend. Instead he said he was happy to just have him the 1 night as normal?!!! As I write this I can't actually believe how stupid I am to put up with him!!

Mum2Milo Mon 31-Mar-14 17:18:12

The mothers day thing, I thought as I'm technically raising his child he'd have the decency to say thanks on the one day when most people kind of do that thing.

eosmum Mon 31-Mar-14 17:20:04

You can now use it to help pay for the childcare for the summer? No brainer really and a very reasonable argument to use when he has a problem with it.

Mum2Milo Mon 31-Mar-14 17:21:53

eosmum...thats a good argument! I know he'll kick up a fuss once he realises I've started doing the right thing and made sure it goes to our son and not him!! thanks smile

feathermucker Mon 31-Mar-14 17:23:25

He should be paying maintenance!

You can claim childcare tax credits, or are you doing this already?

YANBU

Mum2Milo Mon 31-Mar-14 17:24:55

I said this was ranty, I'm so sorry guys....urgh now I've walked away from him I can see him for what he really is and sometimes I just need someone to say "yeh that really isn't normal" but it was for so long!

Lagos Mon 31-Mar-14 17:28:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Mum2Milo Mon 31-Mar-14 17:30:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mum2Milo Mon 31-Mar-14 17:32:54

I feel a lot more justified in what I've done thanks all. I can see how mad this all sounds but he's one of those "victims in life" where everything always goes wrong and everyone is against him....I would often do anything for an easy life including helping him like I have.

Nomama Mon 31-Mar-14 17:35:40

Sod what you think he can afford, get the paperwork sorted and make him aware that he has financial responsibilities. If he chooses not to pay that is up to him. YOU need help to manage your son's childcare.

Go to it or I will hunt you down and paint 'daft mum' on your forehead - I'll use indelible ink too!!!

Clutterbugsmum Mon 31-Mar-14 17:36:40

YANBU.

I would also suggest you claim child maintenance as well any other tax benifets you are entileted too.

How he manages/funds his own lifestyle is not your problem.

Mum2Milo Mon 31-Mar-14 17:40:30

LOL nomama, that me laugh, you're so right I'm so silly!! I think I've had this strong independent woman thing going on for too long and I'm letting him get away with murder!

Thanks for all the comments I really needed a kick up the bum!

JazzyCardi Mon 31-Mar-14 17:40:47

Why are you riddled with guilt M2M?

I can't imagine there is anyone in the world that would say he deserves to have it so easy just because you were the one with the courage to end the relationship.

I find it quite disgusting that he hasn't tried to come to an arrangement with you about accommodation and maintenance. Not to mention child care and sharing the responsibilities of raising your son together.

He's a useless article.

WilsonFrickett Mon 31-Mar-14 17:42:28

It is not up to you to make a judgement about what he can and can't afford. Get your son's child benefit transferred to you, and then speak to the CSA about him properly supporting his son.

The mother's day text is just weird though. You've split up, you don't get praise for your parenting from an ex, or very rarely anyway. That would be like one of my exs texting me out of the blue to say I'm a really good shag or a really good cook (both true grin but it would still be a weird thing for them to tell me).

Do you think you've really moved on? You seem to be quite happy to enable him to do nothing for his son....

JazzyCardi Mon 31-Mar-14 17:45:59

I don't think an acknowledgement on Mother's Day is that weird Wilson. Lots of fathers do that for their small children. I know OP is separated but there is no animosity between them.

Having said that, from what M2M has posted about her ex, I would have been amazed if he had the capacity to do anything thoughtful on behalf of anyone, ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now