Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not add accidental damage to my house insurance?

(22 Posts)
Flossyfloof Mon 31-Mar-14 16:52:20

I don't really know what accidental damage is. I usually opt for a fairly hefty excess because it is generally cheaper. I don't add legal protection or accidental damage because I hope I won't need legal protection and wrt accidental damage I don't really know what kind of accidental damage would be covered. IME insurance companies don't want to pay out for anything - aibu?

Normalisavariantofcrazy Mon 31-Mar-14 16:57:24

YABU accidental damage is everything from a DC putting a you through the telly to a bed breaking from being jumped on to a spillage ruining the carpet

Bellwether Mon 31-Mar-14 17:00:11

I never add it. If I'm dumb enough to break something in my house, it's my job to pay for it, not wreck my premiums for the next five years.

HappyAgainOneDay Mon 31-Mar-14 17:00:40

A cracked bath or a car crashing into your house or an ice block falling from an aircraft.

TalkieToaster Mon 31-Mar-14 17:04:25

YANBU, as long as you understand what it means to not have it.

We don't, we have a high excess and very low premiums because we're skint. I chose not to get accidental damage knowing if something happens to our laptop or tv, or anything else like that, it's on us to sort it.

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 31-Mar-14 17:05:44

I don't even have house insurance

Preciousbane Mon 31-Mar-14 17:07:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HowContraryMary Mon 31-Mar-14 17:07:22

Ah well, so long as you protect your premiums.

Normalisavariantofcrazy Mon 31-Mar-14 17:09:21

If you're skint it's even more reason to get cover!

Can you afford the several hundred pounds needed to replace flooring if your washing machine floods? Or replace your dinner table if someone sits on it and breaks it? Or the tv if you DC puts a toy through it? Or the contents of your freezer if that breaks?

I can't and I'm not skint skint

Katz Mon 31-Mar-14 17:10:07

Accidental home birth was covered on our accidental cover - this spud for a new bed and new bedding. Something we couldn't have afforded. It had no effect on our premiums.

Katz Mon 31-Mar-14 17:10:37

Spud - paid!

JossieGiant Mon 31-Mar-14 17:13:06

I always add it. Mainly because I used to work for an insurance co and I know they try to get out of paying out for anything they possibly can. It will give you a wee bit more peace of mind but just check and double check what level if cover they are actually offering...the sneaky sods that they are! :-)

ilovepowerhoop Mon 31-Mar-14 17:14:46

it would have cost us a couple of thousand to fix our shower ourselves after the shower tray got cracked as the enclosure was attached behind the tiles so all the tiles had to be removed to remove the tray and replace it. The toilet and sink had to be taken out and the walls re-tiled before putting it all back together again.

We wouldnt have had the money to do that ourselves although the insurance company originally offered us £350 hmm to do it ourselves as they though they could just remove one row of tiles and slide the tray out and put a new one in. I told them that I wanted their contractors to do the work and funnily enough it wasnt an easy job (as I had already tried to explain to the insurance company)

God knows how much our premiums will rise now though.

HighwayRat Mon 31-Mar-14 17:20:47

As soon as dd was able to move we added accidental cover

TSSDNCOP Mon 31-Mar-14 17:24:38

It has paid for DH breaking his super-expensive watch by knocking it onto the super-expensive kitchen floor tiles. Watch literally broken to bits.

Also paid for DH's super-expensive laptop getting crushed in the bed seat on a BA flight.

We have protected claims thankfully.

JessieMcJessie Mon 31-Mar-14 17:24:59

YABU to say "I don't really know what type of accidental damage would be covered"- insurers are obliged by the regulator to make their coverage summaries clear and plain English. It's not that you don't know it's that you are too lazy to read the info properly.

TalkieToaster Mon 31-Mar-14 17:30:52

Normalisavarientofcrazy - no, we couldn't afford to replace any of those things, but equally, when the insurance was up for renewal we HAD to go with the cheapest policy or have no insurance at all. That was our financial situation at the time.

Having no insurance wasn't an option, especially as I've witnesssed several friends have devastating things happen to their homes this year. We rent, so it's not as bad for us to only have minimal insurance as it would be for a home owner.

It doesn't sit right with me that we probably don't have great insurance and now our finances have picked up a bit, I will go with another company when the policy is up and see if we can add accidental damage. Beggars can't be choosers though.

BackforGood Mon 31-Mar-14 17:32:47

YANBU, but then you wouldn't BU to add it either - it's totally up to you and how you view risk.
If you have a high excess, then it probably fits that you don't want accidental damage - you are unlikely to make it worthwhile to claim for anything if it's a high excess.

youmakemydreams Mon 31-Mar-14 17:32:52

I have 3 dc and extra accidental damage cover. I set my excess at a rate that I would just go out and buy a new item for if it got damaged if that makes sense. If anything above my excess got damaged it means I wouldn't be able to afford to replace it.
Yanbu to not have it but yabu to not have it with no idea what it covers. Tbh I think well hope I'm more likely to ever use the accidental damage cover than anything else it covers. I'm by no stretch loaded and was skint skint when I took it out and it was a struggle to pay the premiums at first but I rather that than have to find lump sums if the dc damage my couch or the washing machine wrecks my kitchen flooring.

georgeousgeorge Mon 31-Mar-14 17:39:45

...legal cover - I took it off everything, as clearly it was just insurance companies making extra money.... right up to the point in time I had a legal dispute at work (needed to go to an employment tribunal). The Solicitor said to me "don't worry you'll be fine, everyone has legal cover on at least one of their insurance policies..." shock I had none, I had to bluff it in the end with the employer and fortunately they settled, I've made sure I have legal cover since!

georgeousgeorge Mon 31-Mar-14 17:40:08

PS you only need it on one policy...

AnotherFurry Mon 31-Mar-14 17:47:34

Yanbu to not have it but yabu to not understand what it covers. When we get cover I always go for as much as I can but I do shop around each year. If you have accidental damage cover and all the other extras I think it gives the company less wiggle room if you do have to claim.

Policies always come with a summary of what is or isn't covered and a glossary of terms so it is easy to see what benefits you get from having it.

Insurance is one of those things that you pay hoping you never really need to claim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now