Talk

Advanced search

aibu to think it's cheeky when..

(47 Posts)
Laura0608 Mon 31-Mar-14 16:50:26

People living on benefits say that ' money is no object' when it comes to buying unnecessary things for their child or paying for holidays?

formerbabe Mon 31-Mar-14 16:53:12

Do they say that?

Laura0608 Mon 31-Mar-14 16:54:42

Three people I know have!

Floggingmolly Mon 31-Mar-14 16:55:03

How could money be no object when your disposable income is curtailed by the amount of benefits you get? confused
Surely even people who qualify for a lot are hardly living a money no object lifestyle?

EverythingsDozy Mon 31-Mar-14 16:55:10

Yeah it's funny that. I'm (unfortunately) living on benefits and I certainly don't say that. In fact, it's untrue - money is an object. We sure don't have any to spare to buy luxuries like holidays.

formerbabe Mon 31-Mar-14 16:58:45

I'm a little skeptical that people living on benefits book holidays with the idea that money is no object.

Are they all off for 3 weeks to Barbados flying first class then?

If the holiday comes to more than they can afford, do they just rock up to the job centre to ask for an increase?

santaandthearmadillo Mon 31-Mar-14 16:59:02

never heard anyone on benefits say that. YABU

Nomama Mon 31-Mar-14 16:59:53

Oddly I too know one family who claim every benefit known to humankind, and they too have a money is no object attitude when it comes to 'stuff' that keeps them up with the Joneses.

I hate to think what their levels of debt are. But there is nothing I can do as they are living every day like it is a gift. For that is why it is called the present.

I hope that was a song or something, cos of she says it again I will definitely puke!

WilsonFrickett Mon 31-Mar-14 17:00:20

I've never actually heard anyone say that to be honest. Money is an object, or else everyone would be flying first class and buying ipads for 2 month olds, wouldn't they?

Laura0608 Mon 31-Mar-14 17:11:49

I'd count a trip to London a holiday. IPad for kid I'd call a luxury. Even if it's saved for, surely saying ' money is no object's is downright cheeky? I don't mean all are like that, I was talking about people I know though.

expatinscotland Mon 31-Mar-14 17:12:48

People I know.

Of course.

hmm

slartybartfast Mon 31-Mar-14 17:13:41

perhaps money is no object because they live hand to mouth and any spare cash gets spent like water.

slartybartfast Mon 31-Mar-14 17:14:42

are you questioning whether they can afford thigns op and they are just annoyed with you?

Viviennemary Mon 31-Mar-14 17:16:17

I've not heard anybody say that whether or not they are on benefits. I must move in the wrong circles.

fideline Mon 31-Mar-14 17:18:23

Maybe it's bravado? Guilt about current circs? Determination that their children won't miss out (albeit possibly misdirected) because of the misfortune or mistales of the parents?

Maybe there is something about you and the attitude you project that is making these 'people' feel inferior/judged/defensive/defiant?

fideline Mon 31-Mar-14 17:19:09

'Cheeky' is a strange word to use unless you (feel that you) are personally bankrolling them hmm.

fideline Mon 31-Mar-14 17:22:11

(you're not BTW)

DebbieOfMaddox Mon 31-Mar-14 17:23:16

So they aren't allowed to say it, even though they don't actually mean it (after all, they aren't enrolling the child for Eton or flying off to spend a month on Necker Island, so money clearly is an object)?

Maybe they meant that they didn't begrudge spending any spare/saved money on treating their child to something nice? I see nothing wrong with that.

feathermucker Mon 31-Mar-14 17:26:16

Literally never heard anyone on benefits say that.

Maybe they're talking in terms of their child/ren being the most important.

What unnecessary items are we talking about?

HowContraryMary Mon 31-Mar-14 17:26:59

I know people for whom living on welfare is harrowing with corners cut so tight and they still find it difficult to heat the house and eat properly.

But I do know people who also seem to be awash with cash.

I know that they are legally entitled to it - no fraudulent claims - but there is a moral issue in the same way that someone who is claiming what they are entitles to goes cold and hungry. It just highlights a flaw in the system

Laura0608 Mon 31-Mar-14 17:27:32

I think it's insulting to anyone who pays taxes and to people on benefits who would never dream of having that kind of attitude. Saying 'money is not object' is incredibly crass in my opinion.

fluffyraggies Mon 31-Mar-14 17:28:45

OP said ''buying unnecessary things for their child or paying for holidays''.

Then: ''I'd count a trip to London a holiday. IPad for kid I'd call a luxury.''

So really this is more about what OP feels is 'necessary, or a luxury, isn't it?

No one i know says ''money is no object''. Even when it isn't!

fideline Mon 31-Mar-14 17:28:55

But what was the context? What were you saying or asking?

fideline Mon 31-Mar-14 17:29:52

Questioning their spending perhaps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now