Talk

Advanced search

To not have faith in the copper coil ?

(41 Posts)
Milkmachinemadness Mon 31-Mar-14 16:05:54

AIBU To wonder how the hell do people trust this thing against pregnancy? They say check the strings , that's if u can find the damn things in the first place !? I've heard so many failings online but I can't take hormonal contraception and DP isn't ready for the snip just yet. Shud I just chill and trust its doing its job ? I can't go to the nurse every month to check it :-/

PopOfTheTops Mon 31-Mar-14 16:09:11

I hada copper coil for years and it worked great. I am not keen on hormonal contraception but fall pregnant very easily. Within two weeks of taking mine out I was pregnant!

Milkmachinemadness Mon 31-Mar-14 16:13:45

This is what scares me too , I fall very quickly too , the nurse also said they can fall out , hope that hasn't happened and I've not noticed shock

Orangeisthenewbanana Mon 31-Mar-14 16:17:02

I had one for 4 years before I had it removed to try for DD. Been back in for a year after I had her. No problems whatsoever. No contraception is foolproof but as far as I'm aware, the coil is one of the most reliable.

FelixFelix Mon 31-Mar-14 16:17:16

I am in two minds about getting the coil. I'm split between the implant and coil and I'm keen on having non-hormonal contraception, but the horror stories are really putting me off. I know I could google anything and find loads of horror stories, but I keep hearing about real life people getting pregnant with the coil in and my dd is only 14 weeks so I'm terrified shock

Hopefully people will come along and talk us round grin

Milkmachinemadness Mon 31-Mar-14 16:20:02

This is what scares me felixfelix , I have had mine since last November and its worked so far for us but I can never find the strings ! DP says he can feel like a burning (when he cums) soz for TMI which he believes is the strings that cause this but I dunno ? Argh why do us females have to go thru all the worry ?

JessieMcJessie Mon 31-Mar-14 16:31:15

I had 1 for 8 years and never had so much as a period a few days late. It's great, you just forget about contraception. Am pretty sure you'd know all about it if it fell out, though as a disclaimer I had not had children before mine went in. The copper coil is the preferred method of contraception of family planning charities in the developing world.

WhoNickedMyName Mon 31-Mar-14 16:35:57

I've had mine for 2 years now and I wish I'd tried it years ago. No issues or problems here.

All those years of hormonal contraception played havoc with my skin, mood and sex drive. I love my copper coil.

bishboschone Mon 31-Mar-14 16:36:04

I get pregnant very very easily and I have had one for years . Took it out to have ds ( got pregnant first day ) put it back in straight after and I have never had a problem. That's about ten years in total and only two planned babies .

Fusedog Mon 31-Mar-14 16:40:50

I had the coil I am due in for a full body scan in two weeks as it appears to be lost confused

Milkmachinemadness Mon 31-Mar-14 16:42:35

Wow thanks ladies , ur making me more confident now smile

BelleOfTheBorstal Mon 31-Mar-14 16:44:02

Another highly fertile person here. Had mine in for a year and a half and touch wood, tis working so far. Never ben able to find the strings either!

BelleOfTheBorstal Mon 31-Mar-14 16:44:45

*been

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 31-Mar-14 16:47:00

Mine came out, had a transvaginal scan that confirmed it, had another one and that came out.

FP thinks my body expelled it as it was a foreign object. DH has had the snip now so never again will I have to deal with contraception.

Milkmachinemadness Mon 31-Mar-14 16:48:08

Yea that's what I don't like , not finding the strings , have also heard them being pushed out of position also causing pregnancy shock but u lovely people are
Giving me more faith smile

SicknSpan Mon 31-Mar-14 16:54:36

Am 31 weeks pg with dc3 who was a surprise baby. Can't wait to meet him or her but it was a bit of a shock seeing as I'd had the copper coil for 4 years.

I couldn't always feel the strings anyway so if I did think to check it didn't worry me if they weren't in range. Had a number of scans when I found I was pg but it was totally absent- apparently it is uncommon but not unheard of for them to come out. Sorry to be the bearer of scary news!

Dh went for the snip last week!

MummytoMog Mon 31-Mar-14 16:56:21

Mine came out (after loads of internal scans that were quite rough and an egg collection, was in for two years before that with no problems). I get pregnant if my husband looks at me funny, so we religiously used condoms and avoided fertile times. Three months later fecking idiot used a condom the toddler had been chewing on. Oh look. I'm pregnant. Thanks.

But was great before that, and will deffs have anther post baby.

Samu2 Mon 31-Mar-14 16:58:41

I had one, fell pregnant on it with it in perfect place.

She is five now.

I loved it while it worked.

JanePurdy Mon 31-Mar-14 16:58:58

Honestly statistically the coil is really reliable. I have had one in twice between pregnancies & it was great for me.

Samu2 Mon 31-Mar-14 17:00:19

Sorry grin

It is very very rare though and as far as contraception goes to most reliable and closest to sterilisation.

I also fell pregnant on the pill so....

fluffyraggies Mon 31-Mar-14 17:03:04

Had mine in and out for 3 DCs in my 20s. No probs at all. never checked for the strings

After DD3 i had the same one in for 7 years shockblush Well, time flies doesn't it? grin

When the GP practically marched me in and i finally submitted to a a smear and to have it replaced i imagined agony as it would be somehow embedded in my very soul by then!

But no, it just popped out as easily as the ones i'd only had in for 18 months or so in the past.

AcrylicPlexiglass Mon 31-Mar-14 17:05:23

yabu. They are very effective and reliable- 99% effective against pregnancy. They do make your periods heavier though.

izzydazzling Mon 31-Mar-14 17:33:38

mine worked its way loose within 4 months but I had enough faith in it to have a new one put in.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 31-Mar-14 17:38:03

Mine worked fine for 5 years. Might be playing a dangerous game titting around not getting it replaced now the 5 years is up though blush.

Never had a scare whilst it was in full working order though. I'd never use anything else now.

TabithaMcKitten Mon 31-Mar-14 17:54:09

I've had mine in for three or four years now and it's been great. My periods are regular and light and I have no hormonal craziness like I do on the pill. I've never checked for the strings as the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies - I figure if I was to get pregnant with it it would be down to fate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now