Talk

Advanced search

Receiving bottles of wine when you don't drink. Was I rude?

(65 Posts)
RabbitPies Mon 31-Mar-14 15:08:59

Is it rude to use a bottle of wine that you've been gifted,for cooking?

I don't drink alcohol at all,but I do occasionally cook with it.And was recently.very kindly.given a bottle of wine by guests. I thanked them as it was very kind of them,but when I mentioned to another friend that I was going to use it in a meal. She said she'd be offended if someone did that with a bottle she'd given them.

Is it really so rude?

Moreisnnogedag Mon 31-Mar-14 15:11:04

Nope. If you don't drink what else would you do with it??

I wouldn't mind at all if a friend did this (might be tad embarrassed I didn't remember they don't drink!)

SolidGoldBrass Mon 31-Mar-14 15:12:12

Not in the least. After all, cooking with it means that you are making use of the gift and getting pleasure from it. What else would you have done with it other than pass it along to someone else? (Which wouldn't be rude either)

NotNewButNameChanged Mon 31-Mar-14 15:12:19

A gift, once given, belongs to the person who has received it and they can do what the hell they like with it.

So says Judge Judy. Good enough for me!

InAGrump Mon 31-Mar-14 15:13:10

Not rude at all!

RobotLover68 Mon 31-Mar-14 15:13:26

I do it all the time - I don't drink red wine but use it to cook with YANBU

ToysRLuv Mon 31-Mar-14 15:13:39

I wouldn't think so! It's fine, unless it was really expensive -then I would re-gift it.. Either way, I would not mention it to the gift givers -they are unlikely to ask anyway.

hairypaws Mon 31-Mar-14 15:18:16

Your friend is easily offended clearly. It's the perfect way to use it.

MaidOfStars Mon 31-Mar-14 15:20:55

I think you are perfectly reasonable. However, I guess I might feel a little bit put out if I spunked a load of money on a really decent bottle of vino, only to find it had been plonked in the spag bol (suspect this is where your friend is stuck at). However, if the recipient of my gift doesn't drink, and I had forgotten that, my feelings of being put out wouldn't last long (how could I justify being annoyed?).

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 31-Mar-14 15:21:16

Not rude at all. Better for you to make use of it than not. I suppose if it was really expensive, I'd regift it or serve it to guests who do drink.

ToAvoidConversation Mon 31-Mar-14 15:21:36

It's a non-issue. I don't drink wine but regularly cook with wine that guests leave over. Got some in the freezer at the moment.

struggling100 Mon 31-Mar-14 15:21:54

No! If it's a gift to you, you can use it however you like - add it to the bath if you want!

Catsmamma Mon 31-Mar-14 15:22:37

your friend is off her trolley...and presumably under the misapprehension that cooking wine is sub standard and you are implying that.

Use it as you see fit ...and don't tell her.

Thumbwitch Mon 31-Mar-14 15:24:05

God, it's better than leaving it to moulder in the bottle!

My Dad is a staunch (and dry) Methodist, but that hasn't stopped numerous people giving him bottles of alcohol over the years. Many of them were regifted (several in my direction when I had my own house! grin) but several more went to complete waste, as I discovered when we lived at his house for 3 weeks and he made me go through them all. So many were corked/gone off sad

I wouldn't be telling the friend that gave me the wine what I had done with it though, just in case she's as easily offended as the one you were talking to!

WeeClype Mon 31-Mar-14 15:24:53

My DH was given a bottle of Jack Daniels so he wrapped it as a secret Santa at work as he doesn't drink it, he then got another bottle from work as a birthday present. I'm sure it's the same bottle and it's doing the rounds the staff smile

ClownsLeftJokersRight Mon 31-Mar-14 15:25:52

No not rude at all. Or you can always send unwanted wine away to a good cause ie mewink

Callani Mon 31-Mar-14 15:28:31

Check online to see how much the bottle is - I'd say under a tenner and you can cook with it, otherwise you probably ought to regift it as someone will think you're quite generous (or that's the limit amongst my circle!)

But it's your gift and up to you at the end of the day.

halfwildlingwoman Mon 31-Mar-14 15:30:13

Not rude, but I would be more likely to re-gift alcohol that I don't drink than cook with it.

Lweji Mon 31-Mar-14 15:30:55

You could serve it to other dinner guests at another time, but it's ok to use it for cooking too.

In fact, I have heard that you are supposed to use the same wine for cooking as for drinking.

HappyAgainOneDay Mon 31-Mar-14 15:31:03

1. Give it to someone whose party you are going to
2. Give it away as a birthday present
3. Offer it as a raffle or tombola prize (fetes coming up)
4. If you know it's a cheap bottle of wine, use it for cooking. If there's any left over after one recipe, freeze the rest in ice cube trays.
5. Send it to me.

plumnc Mon 31-Mar-14 15:36:21

6. If its a nice bottle, serve it when you have friends over ( if you ever serve wine)

zumm Mon 31-Mar-14 15:36:37

Don't worry OP - they won't mind. However, they MAY have minded on the night. Since you don't drink, you may not realise but (in my view) the best thing to do when guests bring wine is to OPEN it and serve it with the meal (even if you don't drink).
I think that's the most sociable and hospitable way of behaving. Must admit, always a bit surprised if I take wine to someone's house and they DON"T open it (only happens with one set of friends who match wine with food so they've opened sev bottles in advance - so that's OK ;).
Mind you OP, we're polar opposites since I love wine and we get really great bottles as gifts - so it's about sharing the pleasure.

OnlyLovers Mon 31-Mar-14 15:38:05

No, it's not rude (and how did your friend think the giver would find out what you'd done with it anyway?), but like someone else says, it might be a pity if it was a really nice bottle of wine.

I don't drink and if someone gives me a nice bottle of wine I just stash it until I have alcohol-drinking friends round or need something to take to a party.

BillyBanter Mon 31-Mar-14 15:41:06

If it's naice wine it would maybe be a better use to regift and just get some cheap plonk for cooking.

It's fine though. It's your wine to do what you want with.

RabbitPies Mon 31-Mar-14 15:41:16

They gave me the wine as they left,or I'd have poured it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now