Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed at how much it will cost for us to go swimming?

(35 Posts)
spinnergeologist Mon 31-Mar-14 13:35:15

I was looking into swim sessions for my 10 week old and was amazed to find it was going to cost £11 for me and him to have access to the baby pool for a hour. Being on a rather tight budget this would take up all my spare money for the week so no breast feeding support group (bus to this is £3 or 1 hr walk each way), no trips to see friends (similar other side of town, 1.75hr walk) and so on. I was really looking forward to taking him swimming and think its important to get them wet early but not at this price. Maybe I am being silly to expect it to be cheaper?

ps. its more expensive than a 1 hr lane swim, which is adults only so can't even choose a cheaper option.

Funnyfoot Mon 31-Mar-14 13:42:07

Is it a council run pool?
In Leeds we have Breeze cards so they reduce the costs but a swim for 1 adult with a breeze card is £2.80 and children under 2 swim fee.

Figster Mon 31-Mar-14 13:44:26

Definitely look for council run options that's what I use for ds lessons and lessons are £4.80 each (10 sessions £48.50) rather than £11-14 the private lessons charge

CountessOfRule Mon 31-Mar-14 13:44:37

A 10wo can't spend more than maybe 20mins in the pool at a time, so unless it's cheap and easy it's a waste of time. In fact I'd be tempted to say not to bother until baby is two or so.

Also, if you're on the same vaccination schedule as us he'll shortly be having the rotavirus syrup after which you can't swim for a month, then the booster and another month off.

Other groups and visits - more than once a week if available - will be of far, far greater benefit to you both.

My DC1 (nearly six) is progressing very well in swimming lessons now, despite my not taking him anywhere near a pool with any frequency until he was 9mo, then not even monthly from 11-26m because of work schedules, and not at all once his little brother was born (supervision ratio issues). Starting early can be great but is by no means necessary.

Our council pool is £3.80 per adult, babies and toddlers free. What kind of pool is yours to charge so much?

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 31-Mar-14 13:46:08

He's 10 weeks old tbh he would have pretty much the same experience sat in a deep bath with you. I wouldn't spend £11 on taking him swimming especially as you are unlikely to spend a full hour in the pool with a 10 week old.

HappyAsASandboy Mon 31-Mar-14 13:47:11

Is that a council pool? We have a baby and toddler session, where adults pay £4.10 and under 5s are free, so it costs me £4.10 even though I take both of my twins.

Where are you? Maybe someone could recommend somewhere?

CSIJanner Mon 31-Mar-14 13:49:43

Bloody hell! I pay £13.50 for WB and that's a structured 30minute lesson. At 10 weeks, unless you've bought a snug or a baby wetsuit, you won't be in the pool that long unless you've managed to find a hydropool. Is this the only pool near you?

givemeaclue Mon 31-Mar-14 13:52:46

It isn't important to go swimming at 10 weeks, just splash in bath instead. Save your £11 it isn't worth it

slightlyconfused85 Mon 31-Mar-14 13:54:30

I go to a baby and toddler drop-in for under 5s and their carers at a council run pool in my city. It is £4.70 (This is in the South East) and you don't have to book a block of sessions, just as you want to go. It's quite informal; songs, water confidence, swimming technique for the older ones.

It is for an hour, but even at 16mo my DD still only lasts 20-30minutes before she's had enough so it is ideal. I'm sure most council pools do something similar, £11 is ridiculous especially for a tiny baby.

Mrswellyboot Mon 31-Mar-14 13:55:31

I wouldn't pay 11 pound

I take my baby swimming and we are only in the pool 15 mins or so, and it's enough

I think you should go to your bf group and see your friends with the money but YANBU at all! Such a pity they charge crazy money

MrsCakesPremonition Mon 31-Mar-14 13:58:04

I'd expect to pay around £4 for myself and an under 1yo to go free. Sounds like the venue is a bit of a rip off.

manchestermummy Mon 31-Mar-14 13:58:56

It's a nice thing to think about taking him swimming, but as others have said, it's really not worth it. At that age, you'll be lucky if you get him in for 15 minutes - little ones get very cold very quickly!

We have similar arrangements in place at our local pool, and they also do a instructor-led session for under-fives where parents get in. I think it's only a little more expensive than an adult plus (free) baby.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but don't be lured into the trap that if it's private, it's better than a council pool. I know so many who have sent their older children to swimming lessons at a local private pool and who have paid over the odds for shoddy teaching and poor results. Slightly off-topic there, but needs to be said.

My SIL is currently taking my niece to some sort of baby session (can't remember the name) and while it's similar to the price you're talking about, is done with a teacher.

manchestermummy Mon 31-Mar-14 13:59:37

Oh and sorry - YANBU! You're right - it's extortionate!

spinnergeologist Mon 31-Mar-14 14:07:02

It is a council run pool apparently baby sessions have to have a special instructor (although its not a lesson). I isn't know about the rotovirus, hr had it last week and they didn't mention it. I think I will be waiting like suggested.

spinnergeologist Mon 31-Mar-14 14:08:15

plus the card the council offers brings it down to £9.50 but costs £57 which I don't have atm

NellysKnickers Mon 31-Mar-14 14:10:19

Blimey thats expensive. We use a timeshare pool every other Saturday. Its £12 for us all, 4 of us, for an hour. We have the whole place to ourselves. Could you not get together with some friends to find something similar?

flipchart Mon 31-Mar-14 14:12:09

To be honest £11 isn't bad for an activity where there is an instructor on hand for two of you.
If you would rather spend your money on something else then clearly that is the best thing for you to do.

NellysKnickers Mon 31-Mar-14 14:13:00

Oh and dont get sucked into all this swimming lesson crap, kids learn to swim best by having fun in the water first, your baby is still quite young and its such a faff at that age.

ikeaismylocal Mon 31-Mar-14 14:14:43

Just take the baby in the bath smile

redskyatnight Mon 31-Mar-14 14:16:09

Oh well if there is an instructor then that's what you're paying for.

DH and I used to go swimming with baby DS - we paid normal adult price for the 2 of us, baby was free. Then we took it in turns to look after him while the other swam.

If you want to go swimming with your baby, just pay normal price for yourself (under 5s normally free).

lessthanBeau Mon 31-Mar-14 14:18:38

cant you just take him to a general swim, rather than a mother/baby one?
although that price is extortionate! we paid £3 for the baby/toddler session, babies free and there were no instructors in the pool just the floats and watering cans(apparently thats the only difference that makes it a baby swim)

givemeaclue Mon 31-Mar-14 14:22:25

You don't need a swimming instructor for a ten week old baby!!!!

Christelle2207 Mon 31-Mar-14 14:24:45

At our pool there are expensive "babysplash" sessions with an instructor but you can also go to any public session and use the baby pool which is much cheaper. Not true about jabs meaning you have to stay out of the pool, we have been going for private lessons since 2 months ish, over all of the obvious jab periods and this was not mentioned by the nurse when asked or the instructor.

spinnergeologist Mon 31-Mar-14 15:14:58

All the other sessions are lane swim so no children. Its only a little local pool. Unfortunately if I catch the bus to the bigger pool I will spend the savings on bus fare. I am going to look into private pools as one of my friends has said its cheaper. At our pools you have to pay for the adult and child unless its a swimming lesson no matter what age.

TheScience Mon 31-Mar-14 15:18:43

Honestly, there's no point taking a 10 week old swimming. You'll be in there for 20 minutes at most - the baby will enjoy a warm bath with you more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now