Talk

Advanced search

to ask those who think it's ok to park on pavements to watch this video?

(20 Posts)
Morgause Mon 31-Mar-14 10:08:20

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26807402

A blind mother struggles to get past an inconsiderate pavement parker.

If you think this is wrong, please sign the petition to get all pavement parking banned.

www.disabledmotoring.org/news-and-features/news/post/64-pavement-parking-petition?gclid=CN6Wz422vL0CFUvjwgodbIkAYQ

Catnuzzle Mon 31-Mar-14 10:09:58

Pavement parking is banned, it's obstruction of the highway.

formerbabe Mon 31-Mar-14 10:10:24

Where I live, there are signs telling you to park on the pavement!

But, I get your point.

Morgause Mon 31-Mar-14 10:12:40

Apparently it isn't, Catnuzzle, hence the petition.

Thisvehicleisreversing Mon 31-Mar-14 10:19:30

Signed.

This pisses me off no end. When Ds1 was a baby the only pavement into town ran outside a large car dealership. One day a load of new cars had been parked over the pavement meaning the only option was to walk with my pram on the busy road.

I noticed there was just about enough room to squeeze the pram on the pavement next to the these nice shiny new cars. So I stayed on the pavement knocking wing mirrors and undoubtedly scratching some paintwork on my way. grin

When I got into town I phoned the dealership and gave them a big lecture about how inconsiderate they were to disabled and blind pedestrians. I felt a lot better after that.

Tiredmumno1 Mon 31-Mar-14 10:47:28

I cannot stand it when cars park on the pavements, it is just so inconsiderate, the culprits don't seem to care though.

Not quite the same but I saw something jaw dropping this morning, lets set the scene........ outside one of the schools on a normal road, cars all parked up one side which just leaves one side of the road to drive down, but because the inconsiderate buggers that park over peoples drives means there is no where for cars to pull in to let other traffic down. Anyway I spotted a police car there today he was stopped halfway up with his lights on, and he was making people drive up on the pavement (the whole car) and down past him, the jaw dropping thing was he was allowing them to do this whilst lots of parents and kids were walking up. I did say to him I cannot believe you are letting them do that, he had a look on his face as if to say OMG what mayhem, he just got in his car and drove off leaving cars all over the pavement shock unbelievable.

Morgause Mon 31-Mar-14 11:03:19

I think I may complain about that in your place, Tiredmumno1

spinnergeologist Mon 31-Mar-14 11:56:54

Actually it is illegal in most authorities as they damage the pavement structure as well as cause a hazard. Its just that its a parking violation not a police issue so you have to get a traffic warden in. Sometimes they will overlook in favour of areas where bad parking restricts traffic flow. I hate it having family in wheelchairs who then have to make huge detours to find some other dropped kerbs onto pavements that are clear.

withextradinosaurs Mon 31-Mar-14 12:14:48

I think it's different in each local authority. Which isn't very helpful!

Tiredmumno1 Mon 31-Mar-14 12:15:21

Morgause, I have reported to the school, they couldn't believe it, they have said they will inform the head so he can deal with it. I still may give a quick call to the local station and just explain how dangerous it was.

PansBigChainring Mon 31-Mar-14 12:35:44

signed. Just another example of car owners thinking they 'rule the road' but now the pavements as well. IF you own a car you are responsible for legally problem-solving your parking difficulties, NOT making life worse for other people. The weight of cars causes pavements to sink and so provide lots of stumbling circumstances for pedestrians.

TheBakeryQueen Wed 02-Apr-14 12:24:15

I think it's ok to park on a pavement as long as you leave enough room for a wheelchair or double buggy to get past.

Outside our school the road is so narrow that you have to park a little onto the pavement else there would be a huge traffic jam. Some people park too far onto the pavement though blocking double buggies/wheelchairs from getting past so I can see you point.

Morgause Thu 03-Apr-14 06:42:46

What about those with no sight? They use their canes along the kerb to stay on the pavement. If you are parked on it how can they do that?

You don't have to park on the pavement outside the school. You can park on the road where it's safe then walk to the school. I'm pleased to say that people get fines for doing that in this area. Not often enough though.

RoadKillBunny Thu 03-Apr-14 08:11:54

Signed.
I have spent quite a bit of time as a wheelchair user on and off over the years and cars on pavements have made life very difficult at times, it's not always as simple as making sure you leave enough space for people to get past, as the OP says visually impaired people use the curb to navigate, over grown (or even trimmed depending on circumstance) hedges can make a gap impassable that on first glance look wide enough. Then there is blocking drop curbs that allow a wheelchair user to cross roads, not just dropped curbs in front of drives, unless part of your routine is looking for drop curbs you don't often realise where they are or how few there are and how impossible crossing the road is without them (on my school run there is no dropped curb after crossing a side road, the curb is very high and even with help I could not get my wheelchair up, I had to wheel myself on the road, on a quite steep hill, not even an option to use other foot path as there isn't one!). I remember our head teacher grieving the start of term parking talk to parents, I had to remind her to also ask people not to park on pavements or over drop kerbs as I think people just don't realise unless it is something that causes them problems.

AnnieOats Thu 03-Apr-14 18:45:03

Which bit do you fill in to sign it Morgause? Is it under the 'Leave a Reply' as that seems to be to leave a comment.

CatThiefKeith Thu 03-Apr-14 19:08:07

Thank you op. I have just been out and moved my car.

I live in a narrow street with a primary school, so usually park with two wheels on the pavement (still a good 5ft of pavement though) and thought I was doing the right thing as it's a nightmare out there at drop off/pick up time.

I hadn't given the kerb navigation a thought. blush

Morgause Thu 03-Apr-14 19:13:57

Annie, there's a clickable link under the article leading here

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/58617

Thank you, Cat.

AnnieOats Fri 04-Apr-14 14:33:03

Thanks Cat - just signed it.

TheBakeryQueen Fri 04-Apr-14 16:18:32

I see your point for those with visual impairments. Hadn't thought of that. It really wouldn't be safe anyway because there is only a path on one side, no proper crossing. It turns into a country lane type road at the bottom with no pavement at all.

There are double yellows on nearly all the nearby roads. I sometimes walk from home, it is a 25 min walk & I have 3 boys. The roads by the school are all fairly dangerous for someone without disability so I don't think someone with severe visual impairment would use them (i know this is no excuse).

RedFocus Fri 04-Apr-14 17:55:08

We don't park on pavements but we do park on grass verges because every fucker and his dog is taking up all the bloody spaces on our road and if I didn't then I couldn't park anywhere as that's the only bloody space left. Can't even park on any roads near us because they are totally full. We desperately need a second car but where the hell we are going to park it is beyond me. On top of our other car I suppose.
Obviously we don't obstruct the pavements though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now