Talk

Advanced search

hotel stay, kids in separate room situation

(90 Posts)
tripecity Sun 30-Mar-14 20:47:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WooWooOwl Sun 30-Mar-14 20:49:43

I'd contact the hotel and ask if they can provide a proper babysitter. If they have a listening service they probably will be able to, even if it's through an agency, then arrange it yourself.

ikeaismylocal Sun 30-Mar-14 20:50:03

I wouldn't be happy leaving children that age in a room alone, could you look into local babysitting services?

Janethegirl Sun 30-Mar-14 20:50:28

As long as the hotel has your contact details etc I'm hoping they can deal with this. How competent is the 6 year old? Could she phone you if it got messy??

CeliaFate Sun 30-Mar-14 20:50:35

At their age a baby listening service isn't sufficient imho. Ask if the hotel uses babysitters they recommend and you can ask her to come 30 minutes before you need to go downstairs to settle the children.
If that's not possible, one of you attend the dinner and the other look after the children.

foreverondiet Sun 30-Mar-14 20:50:42

I wouldn't leave kids in hotel room, would call hotel in advance, and book a babysitter. If they can't help I'd ask the bride/groom to help you find one. Think it's quite reasonable not to be happy with this arrangement.

foreverondiet Sun 30-Mar-14 20:51:51

Sorry realised not a wedding - either way, I'd organise a proper babysitter and not rely on listening service.

MyNameIsKenAdams Sun 30-Mar-14 20:51:55

I wouldn't leave them even with a listening service but I accept that ot is my opinion and not the only correct way to go about things.

If I were in your situation I would simply say that DH will he attending the dinner and I will be remaining in the Hotel bedroom. Id order room service and watch something or MN.

5 & 6 are old enough to get up and wonder where they are, try the main door when looking for the loo, but too young to know what to do if the littlest wakes and cries.

edwinbear Sun 30-Mar-14 20:52:35

I wouldn't leave them myself at that age. DS (4) let himself out of a hotel room last year whilst we were sat on the balcony, it was terrifying when I went in to check on them and he wasn't there.

sunshinysummer Sun 30-Mar-14 20:52:46

I am a bit rubbish-I know most people are happy with this but I have an irrational fear of fire and there is no way I could leave my 3 and 5 year old in a strange (to them) room without me. They don't let you go back upstairs in the event of a fire and I couldn't cope with that though. Most people do not have this worry- I know!
Also, I suppose it depends on how well your children sleep. My 5 year old would probably wake up wanting me and I know that 'listening service' means different things in different hotels.

Eitherway, it is up to you. I would not appreciate a family member trying to tell me how to care for my children. if it is really awkward you could always feign illness (I would just tell them though).

cheekyfunkymonkey Sun 30-Mar-14 20:52:57

Personally I wouldn't leave them on their own. Can you take your own babysitter for the night, a friend perhaps and pay for a single room for them to stay in once you are back? Are the rooms interlocking? Alternative would just be to take it in turns to dot with them and toss a coin for who goes to meal/ who has room service.

EverythingCounts Sun 30-Mar-14 20:55:20

I have used Sitters.co.uk when staying for an event in a hotel, and that worked fine. I didn't ask the hotel's permission, I just arranged it myself and gave the sitter my mobile no so I could come up if needed. The hotel can't insist you use the listening service. This meant I could relax and enjoy my evening and I strongly recommend you do something like this.

CheckpointCharlie Sun 30-Mar-14 20:57:09

Gosh, no way. I think a listening service only 'listens' in every half an hour or something, or at least that was the case in one hotel we stayed in.

YY to get a proper babysitter, or you stay at the hotel.

It is very unyielding of your elderly/ senior relative to expect you to leave young children effectively alone shock it is pretty unthinkable actually.

Please don't! It's making me panicky just thinking about it.

littlemissbrum Sun 30-Mar-14 20:58:51

That's too young to be left. I'd either book a sitter or not go. If the chips were down and I couldn't get a sitter, I wouldn't go.

Stuckonthebaby Sun 30-Mar-14 20:59:02

I've just returned from a week of using a hotels listening service for my 3 and 18m old - it was fine although they were outside the door if anything happened. I just made sure they were tired enough and have the older one a DVD to watch in bed. Was no problem at all - and at the end of the day, I was only downstairs if I was needed. Was a family hotel with kids of all ages doing the same - I don't see an issue with it at all myself.

shewhowines Sun 30-Mar-14 21:00:16

I wouldn't leave them either. You need to arrange a crb (or whatever the new name is) checked, proper babysitter.

I may have considered it with a baby who would sleep and not climb out of a cot, but they are too old, but not old enough iykwim

Ronmione Sun 30-Mar-14 21:00:32

No way would I leave my children alone in a hotel room on there own. My ds 4 would definitely come looking for me. He would wonder around shouting mum.

Honestly just say no!

changeforthebetter Sun 30-Mar-14 21:01:08

Fwiw you will get two viewpoints
A) you are a paranoid loony and not everyone is a pyromaniacal child-snatcher
B) leaving little kids on a hotel room with a "listening service" (aka underpaid teenager with other jobs to do also) is massively irresponsible because of I) little kids' astonishing ability to puke without forewarning Ii) fire.

If it makes you feel sick to the stomach, don't do it. Easy! Get a babysitter or don't go. No way in hell would I leave my kids in a hotel room to which I would be denied access in the event of a fire!

jamaisjedors Sun 30-Mar-14 21:02:37

Get a babysitter to sit in the room. If the hotel can't provide one, maybe look online (I did this once and went through a Netmum's local site - the MN ones weren't up and running at that stage). I found a local mum who took my boys out for dinner at her house with her children and then sat in the room with them until we got back (it was a wedding).

Tinkerball Sun 30-Mar-14 21:05:03

No way would I do this with young kids, and I'm generally very relaxed about lots of things.

tripecity Sun 30-Mar-14 21:05:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GreenLandsOfHome Sun 30-Mar-14 21:06:19

What does a listening service involve?

I'm imagining someone pressing their ear up against the outside of a locked door and just listening that all is quiet? Surely not though?

goldenlula Sun 30-Mar-14 21:06:38

My dc are 8,5 and 2 and there is no way I would leave them in a hotel room with a listening service. For one thing, I would not trust ds2, he has a knack of finding trouble in the safest of environments. I would investigate alternatives.

Stuckonthebaby Sun 30-Mar-14 21:07:41

Although if a listening service meant a check every 30 mins I would think differently!

StampyIsMyBoyfriend Sun 30-Mar-14 21:11:12

I'm pretty laid back... but I would not be comfortable doing this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now