Talk

Advanced search

to not know if it's wrong

(12 Posts)
ADishBestEatenCold Sun 30-Mar-14 15:15:37

... to look up somebody's old threads?

On several occasions in the past I have used the 'Search' tool to look up someone's old threads or past posts.

So often a thread might start with something like "For those of you who know me I've posted about this problem in the past ..." so, if I don't know what they're talking about (and it's an interesting subject) I might search using their Nickname.

Recently, however, I read a post which strongly suggested that searching someone's Nickname was contrary to mumsnet etiquette.

Is there a rule?

MoominsYonisAreScary Sun 30-Mar-14 15:18:17

I think people say its against mn etiquette to look up past threads to use them against a poster

Smilesandpiles Sun 30-Mar-14 15:18:50

I think it depends on the circumstances.

It's ok to search if trying to read a back story, but I know it's frowned upon to quote the posts if they are not related to the current thread.

If they are posting in Relationships about a problem with a long backstory, then that is fine to search and look that up.

If they are in chat and make a comment on a thread, but you quote them, by searching a post in another topic then that's not ok.

At least, that's what I've learnt.

LRDtheFeministDragon Sun 30-Mar-14 15:21:04

I think it's fine to look, but you have to bear in mind people change details for innocent reasons - it's not on to dash onto a thread in your super-sleuth cape saying 'ooh, two years ago you claimed to live in Leeds and now you're saying it's York, you must be lying about everything under the sun'.

fuckoffbeaker Sun 30-Mar-14 15:21:38

Of course it is, they wouldn't have the feature otherwise. Plus is interesting to note that a person is forever moaning about the same thing and not doing anything to sort it out, saves bother of replying

blanchedeveraux Sun 30-Mar-14 15:22:10

I think some people do it maliciously. If they're pissed off with a poster and "can't get the better of them" (usually in AIBU) they'll trawl through their old posts to see if they can then drag something up that contradicts the current argument. It's petty and childish.

I looked up someone's posts the other day as they sounded really distressed and I didn't know if they were a brand new member or if they had a history of depression and alcohol. But that's it, I wouldn't do it for any other reason.

mrssmith79 Sun 30-Mar-14 15:23:21

I sometimes do a search if I think the op may be trolling...just to see if its their first / only post and whether I'd be wasting my time typing out a nice sensible reply.

LRDtheFeministDragon Sun 30-Mar-14 15:25:30

People can also get extremely angry if you don't know backstory, though, so it is tricky.

ADishBestEatenCold Sun 30-Mar-14 15:30:12

These sound pretty much the sort of circumstances I might search under. I don't think I would use it maliciously. Though I have got to confess I did use it once because I thought a poster was bullshitting, so I guess in that instance I did sort of hope to catch them out, maybe not such a good reason.

Smilesandpiles Sun 30-Mar-14 15:34:52

If you have to go to the lengths of searching through old posts in order to catch another poster out, the best thing to do really is just ignore them or hide the thread.

ADishBestEatenCold Sun 30-Mar-14 15:53:59

I think your probably right there, Smilesandpiles, and I usually don't unless previous threads or events are referred to.

TwittyMcTwitterson Sun 30-Mar-14 16:08:45

It's not wrong but I remember I said I was new ish to mumsnet and someone said they had searched my name and told me how many times I'd posted. It really freaked me out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now