Talk

Advanced search

to think my colleague should not have told not to say this??

(215 Posts)
sweeterthanhoney Sun 30-Mar-14 12:07:47

So we were talking about relationships at work and I said - I can't believe I've been with my partner for 5 years, that shit cray"

My colleague gave me this look confused and said don't ever say that again and then laughed.

Aibu to think I can say what I want.

WorraLiberty Sun 30-Mar-14 12:10:07

It's cringingly embarrassing but yes, you're entitled to say what you want I suppose.

meganorks Sun 30-Mar-14 12:10:42

Really? You at getting annoyed at that? Clearly they were making a jokey comment about you using silly slang. Some people can't abide it. Not worth getting upset about is it?

ilovepowerhoop Sun 30-Mar-14 12:11:03

Maybe he doesn't like swearing or making jokes about mental health issues

cleofatra Sun 30-Mar-14 12:11:42

sorry, what is "that shit cray"?

Jengnr Sun 30-Mar-14 12:12:03

Can you repeat it in English?

Lj8893 Sun 30-Mar-14 12:12:20

Haha to be honest I would say the same thing to anyone that used that, unless they were of course kayne west or jay z!

LoopyDoopyDoo Sun 30-Mar-14 12:12:47

I have no idea what you mean confused

WorraLiberty Sun 30-Mar-14 12:12:57

Sorry OP but I now have a mental image of you wearing a back to front baseball cap and drinking from a mug that says, "I'm crazy I am" blush

aermingers Sun 30-Mar-14 12:13:04

Say what you want. But don't be surprised if everyone you works with thinks you're unprofessional, uncouth and immature.

sparechange Sun 30-Mar-14 12:13:32

Cleo,
I think it is young people speak for 'isn't that a funny thing' when they are too lazy to say 'that shit is crazy'

WildThong Sun 30-Mar-14 12:15:22

Eh? Translate into English please?

cleofatra Sun 30-Mar-14 12:15:25

Ah thanks...can't say I've ever heared that before!

cleofatra Sun 30-Mar-14 12:16:21

heared? lol

Mintyy Sun 30-Mar-14 12:16:38

Yabu to think you can say what you want without having consideration for the people you are speaking to or within hearing of.

If its always ok to say what you want I would be sorely tempted to stand up on the lower deck of the 185 bus to work and shout at the top of my voice "will some of you please splash out and invest in a packet of fucking tissues and stop sniffing, also eating fried chicken and throwing your litter on the floor, speaking loudly on your phones and putting your shopping on seats you bunch of utter cunts". That's what I'd like to say sometimes, but I realise that it would be unwise and offensive.

LizzieVereker Sun 30-Mar-14 12:21:45

Of course you can say what you like, but to be honest I would raise an eyebrow at "That shit cray" unless you were:
a) 15 years old.
b) Kanye West.

But, whatevs, you go girl! (Does snake neck, flicks fingers and raises eyebrow at self.)

ilovesooty Sun 30-Mar-14 12:23:29

Yes you can say what you want I suppose. If you want to look like a knob.

NurseyWursey Sun 30-Mar-14 12:23:35

Why are you wanting to talk like you're in the stereotypical 'ghetto'

Casmama Sun 30-Mar-14 12:26:32

I would think you sounded like a twelve year old trying to be cool but by all means say what you want. I think your colleague was actually trying to help you realise that you sound like a tool but by all means ignore them.

Viviennemary Sun 30-Mar-14 12:27:39

Never heard of the expression. But I take it that it's not complimentary.

MrsSteptoe Sun 30-Mar-14 12:28:02

OP, it's possibly forgivable if you are, in fact, eighteen years old and are trying to sound hip and are experimenting with speech patterns that, at a guess, sound like you're trying them on for size (hint: your colleague's reaction suggests that this one didn't fit). Otherwise, I suspect the colleague you criticise was simply trying to stop you from looking like an absolutely massive berk.

gringringringringrin Mintyy

MrsSteptoe Sun 30-Mar-14 12:28:46

Ah, x-post.

WooWooOwl Sun 30-Mar-14 12:28:54

You can say what you want, but you can't expect everyone to take you seriously if what you want to say is ridiculous.

sooperdooper Sun 30-Mar-14 12:29:54

I think your colleague was probably embarrassed on your behalf for you trying to sound cool, which sounds like it came out a bit cringey

Marylou62 Sun 30-Mar-14 12:34:32

I got told off by my DD 19 for saying 'OMG'!I was offended but she pointed out that its not 'cool' to try and talk like a teen when you are 50+! And I still cant help but get offended by the C word. I try never to swear at work...but am a nanny!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now