Talk

Advanced search

On a scale of 1-10, how cheeky is this....

(64 Posts)
IhaveNoOpinion Sat 29-Mar-14 19:38:40

My NDN is using my wireless without my permission.

My DD and her DD (lets call her P) regularly play at each others houses. They each have a tablet. So that P can play on her tab when she is here, I put in my wireless code into it.

When P was round here the other day playing, she told me that her mum had taken the wireless code from her tablet and put it on her computer. P told me that their wireless was broken and her mum didn't want to be without the internet.

I am not necessarily concerned about security, I don't think she is computer savvy enough to find and look at our traffic and I have good firewalls in case her computer is affected by malware, but I am rather pissed off.

I don't want her using my wireless to be honest, but I also don't want a fall out as our DDs are so close. As I can't change the wireless password on my hub, I have contacted bt and have upgraded to the new hub and saved a bit in the meantime. WIBU to not let P have the password again meaning that she can't play on certain games when she is round here in the future?

WWYD?

ikeaismylocal Sat 29-Mar-14 19:41:27

Yanbu. Just say that you can only put the code into a certain number of devices and you have used up all the alloted code spaces, this is true for our wireless.

Bananapickle Sat 29-Mar-14 19:43:01

Are you sure her DD is telling the truth? I only ask as I've just looked at all three of the devices I have near me and on none of them can I see the passcode for the wireless.
Even if it is there normally it is astrixed out or just dots.
If she is managing to use it YANBU. ALthough if it was for a temporary time while she gets her own internet fixed she could have asked you if you were ok with it.

riskit4abiskit Sat 29-Mar-14 19:43:37

About a 6. Change your wifi name to 'feckoffyoufeckersnextdoor

GiraffesAndButterflies Sat 29-Mar-14 19:43:55

Depending on the tablet, it may be possible to get your key to only show up as stars, so that NDN can't lift it. P would probably catch on and tell her mum though, I think the 'used up all our spaces' line is better.

ByTheWishingWell Sat 29-Mar-14 19:44:09

Do you have unlimited useage? It's cheeky either way, but if you do, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you don't, I'd bill her.

And it's very reasonable to not give your password out if you don't want to.

Cheeky mare grin

BikeRunSki Sat 29-Mar-14 19:44:56

I'm going for 8

InAGrump Sat 29-Mar-14 19:46:05

Yanbu!

And on the scale I agree it's a 6

LadyMaryLikesCake Sat 29-Mar-14 19:46:50

There's a password on a wireless router, it's on a sticker which is usually on the back.

You need to change the password. If she downloads anything illegal it will be registered on your internet connection so you'll get the crap for it. If it's downloads (illegal ones like pirate movies) then you could be fined for these, etc.

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Sat 29-Mar-14 19:47:01

Very cheeky, but I've used ndn, unlocked wireless before now.

Lomaamina Sat 29-Mar-14 19:48:02

BTW I also have unlimited usage, but AFAIK, if I download too many movies I could go over the fair usage limit. Two households might quite easily do so.

YANBU

LadyMaryLikesCake Sat 29-Mar-14 19:49:01

'nofreeinternetheregetyourown'

This is a 8.5 for cheek.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 29-Mar-14 19:49:10

10. Change your password

SauvignonBlanche Sat 29-Mar-14 19:51:00

CatsAreLikeChocolates Sat 29-Mar-14 19:52:24

Oooh! Definitely an 8 on the ole Cheek-o-meter. <hoiks judgey pants>

I wouldn't be giving out the new password to little Miss P in future if I were you. As others have said, the fair usage clause means that they could cause you to be charged extra even if you have unlimited downloads.

wheresthelight Sat 29-Mar-14 19:52:30

definitely 10!!! change the password and don't give it to the daughter

IhaveNoOpinion Sat 29-Mar-14 19:52:31

Ikea Good idea. I can get away with that as I am getting a new hub

Banana I thought that, but I can't see why she would be lying/mistaken. She didn't come to me telling tales as such, it was more a passing comment when we were talking about the internet. She is 11 so I think her comprehension of events is generally quite accurate. I am still puzzled myself.

wishingwell I do have unlimited (but regulated by fair usage policy)

I cant change password. I have already checked with bt. the hub is separate from the router and although I can change the router passwords, the wireless aspect I cant. But in a few days, I will get a new hub with a new wireless code.

TravellingToad Sat 29-Mar-14 19:52:45

If it is unlimited usage I wouldn't give two hoots.

LynetteScavo Sat 29-Mar-14 19:53:35

8 /10

If I experienced buffering when watching a film I would be very cross!

I'd be clicking the router off whenever I wasn't using internet.

MikeLitoris Sat 29-Mar-14 19:56:36

I live next door to MIL and wouldn't use hers without asking.

Change the name. Ours was called 'HMRC surveillance van 5' until we got a new one and Dp named it 'I'm under your bed'. I made him change it in case it scared the neighbours children.

TeaAndALemonTart Sat 29-Mar-14 19:57:09

10. Call your new WiFi something like Mine,you cheeky cunt.

LadyMaryLikesCake Sat 29-Mar-14 19:57:30

bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10990/~/how-can-i-change-the-admin-password-on-my-bt-home-hub%3F

bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9825/~/how-can-i-change-the-password-on-my-bt-voyager-router%3F

I've no idea which router you have but do a google search of 'bt wireless router change password' and click on the right one. smile

IhaveNoOpinion Sat 29-Mar-14 19:57:56

I didn't know you could change the name. I can see me having fun with the new one.......

IhaveNoOpinion Sat 29-Mar-14 20:00:35

LadyMary It is not the admin password on the router, but the wireless code on the hub itself. BT told me that the wireless code on the hub cannot be changed. All the other codes can.

carabos Sat 29-Mar-14 20:02:11

Agree with lynette except that I would say its a 10.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now