Talk

Advanced search

Paying for petrol

(131 Posts)
PorkPieandPickle Sat 29-Mar-14 19:35:53

Is it ok to leave a sleeping baby in the car (locked) while you pay for petrol? My husband says its fine as you can see the car from the shop, but this parenting group on FB have been totally slating women who do this.
I usually have a sensible handle on things but this one is confusing me. I have always asked my husband to fill up so I don't have to avoiding the situation but he keeps telling me its fine to leave her (but humours me anyway and fills up!)

AnnoyingOrange Sat 29-Mar-14 19:36:39

Use pay at pump if you are worried

PorkPieandPickle Sat 29-Mar-14 19:39:03

Sadly they don't have pay at pump at any of my local petrol stations.

RedHelenB Sat 29-Mar-14 19:40:06

Of course it's ok if car is in sight & baby asleep.

MrsSpencerReid Sat 29-Mar-14 19:42:20

Personally I think it is safer to leave ds1 who is 2 and ds2 who is 12w in the car, it would be a nightmare trying to get them both out safely across the petrol station, in and out the shop and back to the car, I'd prob have to use the buggy which is stupid!! I guess you weigh up the pros/cons for yourself!smile

Jinty64 Sat 29-Mar-14 19:42:26

Yes, it's fine. Just be careful crossing the forecourt.

BrianTheMole Sat 29-Mar-14 19:42:45

Its fine.

OddFodd Sat 29-Mar-14 19:43:48

Yes of course. Your fb friends are idiots

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Sat 29-Mar-14 19:44:33

Yep fine.

PorkPieandPickle Sat 29-Mar-14 19:44:48

Phew, ok, I'm panicking over nothing! These women on Fb are calling it neglect and saying anything could happen... But I do not like to wake dd (3 months) when she's sleeping... That really would be dangerous!
DH will be pleased that mn has lifted his petrol duties!
Thanks!

Coveredinweetabix Sat 29-Mar-14 19:44:57

I do this but leave the car unlocked as think there's a slightly greater chance of something happening to me than of someone taking the DC. They're both in car seats with 5pt safety harnesses at the moment so can't get themselves out.

Bananapickle Sat 29-Mar-14 19:45:00

Absolutely fine. I've done it since DD was born and she is now 3. Just use a pump near to the door of the shop if you are worried about it.

Ronmione Sat 29-Mar-14 19:45:21

I do it all the time and always have, park as near as you can to the shop.

TheWiseOldElf Sat 29-Mar-14 19:45:54

I feel the same. I have mostly managed to avoid the situation by using pay at pump or going with DH but on the one or two occasions when I couldn't avoid it I did get sleeping DD1 out of the car with me just because something told me it was wrong to leave her (or that I would be judged!!). I'm not sure what though. And it definitely caused unnecessary stress. I now have 2 DDs and fortunately the situation hasn't arisen because it would be a nightmare with a toddler and a baby!!

AuditAngel Sat 29-Mar-14 19:46:34

I have 3 DC now aged 9, 7 and 3. I have never taken any of them out of the car while paying for petrol. Obviously now they are a bit older it is less of an issue,

I also never got DH to fill my car.

drnoitall Sat 29-Mar-14 19:47:49

Some people like to come up with ridiculous ideas to make others feel less worthy, I mean, I can hear the fakebookers, "ohhh, I'm a better parent, because I take my children out of the car to pay for my petrol, there is no way, I mean, no way, I would leave my child safely strapped in their seat whilst I pop in the shop, where I can see them anyway".
If they are safe enough to be driven in the car, they are safe enough to bloody wait 10 minutes max whilst you refuel ffs.

wobblyweebles Sat 29-Mar-14 19:48:01

Yes it's fine.

People who lug babies in carseats across the forecourt to somehow keep them safer baffle me.

pinkr Sat 29-Mar-14 19:48:10

I have never seen anyone trailing babies into petrol stations. Those people who do...I hope they are considerate enough to move their car away from the pumps beforehand... queuing takes long enough without waiting for some idiot to restrap their brood back into the cargrin

InAGrump Sat 29-Mar-14 19:48:11

Go with your instincts, if you feel it's better to leave her in go for it

TeaAndALemonTart Sat 29-Mar-14 19:50:30

Yes fine.

wheresthelight Sat 29-Mar-14 19:51:00

i try to use pay at pump when i can (or make DP fill it up) but if i do need to fill up at my local station which doesn't have pay at pump and DD (7mo) is asleep then i lock the car and leave her there as i can see the car and they are very quick

Bonkerz Sat 29-Mar-14 20:02:27

I used to think it was ok till I was a passenger in a car and sat at a pump while driver paid, a lorry drive in behind us and literally took the roof with him and the pump behind us started to bend. Thankfully he stopped but that roof could have come down on us and the pump could have snapped causing spillage. I was so scared that I drive to a petrol station further away now to use pay at the pump.

Princessolipops Sat 29-Mar-14 20:06:28

This shit pisses me off! Neglect?!that term insults kids that have had cases of neglect!!! I have done and will continue to pay leaving my child in the car! I even went to a police station for advice after some self rightous cowbag thought she should report me for it! Cops said it was ok as within sight and covered in CCTV. Stupid ignorant woman with nothing better In their pathetic lives to complain about x

Waltonswatcher1 Sat 29-Mar-14 20:18:20

Please don't do this . Car theft happens , cars also combust . Why would you take the risk ? Fill up when the babes awake .
I saw an Oprah segment years ago about some parents who did this - awful awful stories I can't bear to repeat . Just don't do it op .

formerbabe Sat 29-Mar-14 20:27:32

If you can see the car, then I think its fine. I do it all the time.

Waltonswatcher...you sound hysterical to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now