Talk

Advanced search

to dislike DP's greed?

(45 Posts)
springconcert Sat 29-Mar-14 15:51:33

Whenever we go out for a meal DP eats so much and just piles it in. We've been to a harvester and he had 4 bowls of salad which included loads of creamy sauce, pasta, rolls and butter and dried fruit and so not exactly healthy, a massive portion of chicken with jacket potato and veg plus an ice cream. Plus beer!

But it's not just the amount but the way he shovels it in and pesters the waiter and gives then disapproving looks if they take too long.

I hate it - aibu?

pussycatdoll Sat 29-Mar-14 15:53:06

Ew sounds gross !

dexter73 Sat 29-Mar-14 15:53:13

I don't know where some people put the huge amounts of food they eat! I find it a bit unpleasant tbh.

pussycatdoll Sat 29-Mar-14 15:54:36

I think I'd just stop eating out with him
If he asks why tell him his behaviour embarrasses you

daisydoo222 Sat 29-Mar-14 15:55:24

YANBU

My ex used to be like that, it used to make me feel a little nauseous watching him.

It's just not good manners is it?

I would especially be unhappy about him doing that in front of the kids.

Morgause Sat 29-Mar-14 15:55:46

If he can't eat in a civilised way, don't eat out with him. He sounds awful.

Nancy66 Sat 29-Mar-14 15:56:12

Got to a buffet in Vegas and you'll feel a lot better about him....

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 29-Mar-14 15:56:49

Some people just go out of control when faced with an 'all you can eat' option, even if it is a salad bar. They don't choose to reign themselves in at all. I'd hate eating with somebody who can't wait or hold a conversation - and there have been a few!

Nancy66 Sat 29-Mar-14 15:57:54

I used to stuff tomatoes in my pockets at the Pizza Hut salad bar. I was a broke student though.

HowContraryMary Sat 29-Mar-14 15:58:13

Does he have 'food issues'? everything is a bloody issue these days I pulled my friend up in an unobtrusive way about her hovering up leftovers in a restaurant. She isn't in financial straits but she cant bear waste because there was little money when she was growing up and they frequently didn't eat for two to three days at a time and she cannot get out of that mindset.

NettoSuperstar Sat 29-Mar-14 16:01:56

Ewwwwwww, no way would I eat with him.
It's not so much the amount, if he eats it politely, but the shovelling.

Sparklysilversequins Sat 29-Mar-14 16:02:41

Is he overweight?

IsSpringSprangedYet Sat 29-Mar-14 16:16:09

One of my ex-boyfriends did/does that. He was a part-time rugby player and was built like one, and a bit more. Lovely ish guy but he would order 2 large fish, 2 large sausages, 2 saveloys, 3 pukka pies and a large and small chips for him. And one more sausage to eat while we waited.

I think some of that excessiveness was to do with his step mum being a bit abusive though sad

Comeatmefam Sat 29-Mar-14 16:18:41

My dh and I are both greedy pigs and eat at a rate of knots (sp?) - we're both slim and relatively healthy. We just love food and wine and get overexcited! Does your dp turn you off in other ways or just this?

MrsSteptoe Sat 29-Mar-14 16:27:50

<typical MN overreaction alert>
In combination with the attitude towards the waiting staff, I would be wondering if he's a compulsive eater, OP. I would absolutely hate it too, so you have my sympathy, but the bigger problem is whatever it is he's dealing with through food.
I eat superfast, but I don't eat massive amounts.

AwfulMaureen Sat 29-Mar-14 16:28:25

I can't stand it to be honest. People acting like the food's running out. It slightly disgusts me. I like food but wouldn't ever eat more than one plate.

DurhamDurham Sat 29-Mar-14 16:40:12

I have to avoid places such as Toby and Harvester as I cannot bare to see people ploughing through piled high plates, it makes me want to heave.

The worst places are those Chinese buffet places, even walking past them makes me feel queasy. Plates piled high with all manner of gloop. Give me one plate of delicious food over several plates of substandard crap anytime.

With regards to your partner, I'd have to say something, or you will just seethe about it and you may end up hating him.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 29-Mar-14 16:46:21

Does he eat like that all the time I just at those sort of places?

Sicaq Sat 29-Mar-14 16:54:34

Doesn't seem that much for a man (or is he a small man?) on a meal out. Is he greedy in general? I am usually too busy stuffing my own face to monitor other people's intake.

Shonajoy Sat 29-Mar-14 17:18:19

Reminds me of an all inclusive resort. People grabbing food over people's heads, taking two desserts each, and then not even eating it all. Hate it.

CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 17:23:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

formerbabe Sat 29-Mar-14 17:28:42

Sorry I don't think that is that much food for a man.

EatShitDerek Sat 29-Mar-14 17:31:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fortysomethingwinelover Sat 29-Mar-14 17:32:24

I'd have said something there and then. My DH had the manners of a pig when I first met him 10 years ago. I avoided eating with him in the beginning. He asked why I never ate with him. I was blunt and told him his manners embarrassed me, he ate like a pig and I just wouldn't sit there and watch him fill his face to extremes. He's learned manners and to behave when food is around otherwise I wouldn't be in his life.

MostWicked Sat 29-Mar-14 17:40:26

Is he overweight?
If he is, he needs to do something about it.
If he isn't, then it is just about manners. Have you ever spoken to him about it? Not just criticised or complained about him being a pig, but actually had a conversation about good manners?
At an all you can eat salad bar, he is entitled to eat several bowl fulls if he wants to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now