Talk

Advanced search

to think this is bad value and bad service?

(17 Posts)
Objection Sat 29-Mar-14 13:44:16

I went to X zoo a few months ago on a Zoo Keeper Day event and loved it. The keeper was wonderful and so were the other staff.
I came back today with the kids I look after at weekends: B10, B4 and G2.

We got here for just past 10, had a snack at the cafe and walked around to see the animals. Very few events were on so no luck there. Took the kids on one of the rides (merry go round) and then for lunch.

Lunch as atrocious - rock hard chips and inedible burger (burger and chips was almost £10 a pop) so bad that i took it back (very rare for me) ti which they just shrugged and half heartedly offered another plate of chips. They brushed me off and im pretty sure had a laugh at my expense when I left (i was extremely apologetic, "I'm really sorry but I don't think this is cooked properly. I don't want to cause a fuss etc etc"

we were at the zoo for 3.5 hours and in total it cost £155!
AIBU to think this is incredibly steep? Luckily the kids parents can afford it but I'd never be able to myself and don't know many people who could fork out that much for half a day trip.

I realise that they're a charity and do a lot of good but AIBU to feel a bit ripped off?

(note: i'm not expecting them to make the animals more entertaining before anyone picks on that. The animals have a right to live as naturally as possible)

Redcliff Sat 29-Mar-14 13:55:41

So £155 for you and 3 kids? That is really expensive and £10 each for a rubbish lunch is steep - I don't mind paying that for something nice but burger and chips!!

ilovepowerhoop Sat 29-Mar-14 14:01:44

a trip to the zoo is not a cheap trip so we rarely go - plus we have to travel 40 miles to get to it.

HannerHet Sat 29-Mar-14 14:03:38

That's why we usually take a packed lunch. You should have asked for a refund on your food

EurotrashGirl Sat 29-Mar-14 14:24:03

The zoo in my hometown is amazing and free of charge for everyone. The first time I went to a zoo somewhere else I was astonished at how much it cost!
I do think the price you mentioned is high, but people choose to pay it, nobody is forced to go. And from the way you describe it, it doesn't sound like people would be missing out by not going. You should have asked for a refund if you really thought the food was inedible.

Objection Sat 29-Mar-14 15:18:22

I did ask for a refund but the managers English was a little limited and she just kept repeating that she'd get another bowl of chips - which were the same standard.

NurseyWursey Sat 29-Mar-14 15:20:22

I went to a popular one on my birthday, 6 of us. Cost a fortune because it was peak season. None of the shops were open, none of the stalls, only a couple of the food places. Peak season hmm

TheCrackFox Sat 29-Mar-14 15:42:45

I think because of the cafe managers language difficulties it would be worth writing to the zoo stating your dissatisfaction and request a full refund for your burger and chips

Having said that, it is nye on impossible to get a good meal out in this country at a family day out type place - the catering at zoos, museums, theme parks are all woefully shit - with badly trained staff and not enough of them to boot being the order of the day. We always take a pack lunch/picnic.

Objection Sat 29-Mar-14 15:52:19

I think we'll take a packed lunch next time. I was so disappointed because I had such a high opinion of the place before

NotYouNaanBread Sat 29-Mar-14 16:20:39

We go to the Cotswold Wildlife Park sometimes & always bring a picnic. Their own food looks grim.

Besides, if I can be sufficiently parsimonious on the picnic front, I can angle for a yummy meal at the Burford Garden Company later. smile

arethereanyleftatall Sat 29-Mar-14 16:25:49

The zoo near us is crazy expensive for one day, but brilliant value for an annual pass. I guess that's their marketing strategy.

OwlinaTree Sat 29-Mar-14 16:29:48

The zoo near us has OK food, but everything is served on paper plates, plastic cups etc which annoys me as there is so much info about conservation of habitats everywhere else around the zoo!

pianodoodle Sat 29-Mar-14 16:47:35

We go to the Cotswold Wildlife Park sometimes & always bring a picnic.

This is one of the few places that is definitely worth the entrance fee we love it!

JodieGarberJacob Sat 29-Mar-14 16:51:45

Are you including petrol and parking in that total? Seems an awful lot of money.

softlysoftly Sat 29-Mar-14 16:54:55

If its Bristol zoo YANBU felt . thoroughly fleeced after going there! And that was with taking a picnic.

Objection Sat 29-Mar-14 17:44:58

Inc parking but not petrol.
It incs:

Entrance fee
Snacks and drinks
Lunch
One ride on the merry go round
Parking

no souvenirs, extras like "experiences" and the little one was free because she is under 3.

Shonajoy Sat 29-Mar-14 17:46:07

Do you have a farm park near you? We used to take ours there, the zoo has always been so expensive. That's utterly shocking though £155!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now