Talk

Advanced search

Am I right to be cross or just overreacting?

(35 Posts)
Livingtothefull Sat 29-Mar-14 10:28:17

On Thursday morning we took in a delivery of several very large boxes which we thought was for the next door neighbour...it turned out that they were not for the current but the former neighbour who moved out nearly 2 years ago.

We asked the current neighbours when back home, if they had a contact no for the ex neighbour. It turns out they did as they regularly got deliveries for the ex neighbour, who runs a business from home & hasn't bothered to inform her suppliers of her new address.

We & also current neighbour texted ex neighbour several times, she has not replied or come to collect the boxes.

I should add that DS is still recovering from recent major surgery, he is wheelchair bound, our house is extremely small with no storage, and the boxes are very large, dominate the house & block the path of the wheelchair. Also MIL passed away a few weeks ago and DH is off sick with stress and depression. In fairness, ex neighbours don't know about the bereavement or DH though they do know about DS situation.

It so happens that DH is visiting same town as ex neighbours new address so he is going to drop the boxes off today. He will just dump the boxes on their doorstep if they are not there, and text her to let her know. Too bad if it rains. I am just so cross about us having to deal with this and I don't think DH should have to drop them off but we are desperate to be rid of the boxes now.

Tell me if you think IABU, overreacting & selfish about not wanting to do somebody a favour. I appreciate that our situation may be skewing my perceptions, am trying to get my head straight. Have I got the wrong perspective on this?

PatriciaHolm Sat 29-Mar-14 10:30:28

Honestly? I'd be tempted to ring the senders of the boxes and say they have been misdelivered and get them to collect them.

YouTheCat Sat 29-Mar-14 10:32:42

I'd be checking the name carefully in future and refusing delivery. Also text the ex neighbour and tell her to sort it out asap.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 29-Mar-14 10:34:17

I'd drop them at the neighbour's house and let them deal with it - if they haven't told them to sort it out then it's their issue.

Mouthfulofquiz Sat 29-Mar-14 10:34:26

Drop them on the doorstep and leave it at that. She clearly needs to just change her bloody address - no excuse.

Comeatmefam Sat 29-Mar-14 10:36:41

No you're not overreacting. Sorry about your son, hope he makes a full recovery x

CeliaFate Sat 29-Mar-14 10:36:55

I'd drop them off and leave a note saying any future deliveries will be refused and marked Return to Sender.

Livingtothefull Sat 29-Mar-14 10:39:27

Thanks all. Oh yes we will definitely be refusing delivery of their stuff in future.

And yes we did think of contacting the supplier and ask them to collect the boxes, the trouble is this would still also involve more hassle, waiting around for a collection etc. And realistically the boxes would only be picked up early next week & we want rid of them NOW.

Livingtothefull Sat 29-Mar-14 10:41:07

Thanks Comeatmefam, yes DS is slowly but surely on the mend.

Jinty64 Sat 29-Mar-14 10:41:38

Honestly? I'd be tempted to ring the senders of the boxes and say they have been misdelivered and get them to collect them.

Exactly and don't accept any other deliveries. If the old neighbour hasn't changed the address there may be something fishy going on. I wouldn't leave them outside. You have accepted the delivery and if anything happens to them you may be held responsible.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 29-Mar-14 10:42:22

Just take them next door to the actual address that they were delivered to.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 29-Mar-14 10:43:36

Because you have no idea if this other address IS their new address and you are not a delivery service.

JohnnyBarthes Sat 29-Mar-14 10:48:30

This is dodgy, surely? Ex neighbour is up to something.

Livingtothefull Sat 29-Mar-14 10:48:49

We tried that Funky but current neighbours don't want them....they are fed up enough with situation. We know for sure their address is the new one& can't put up with these boxes any longer.

YouTheCat Sat 29-Mar-14 10:52:38

Blimey! Why on earth have your neighbours put up with this for so long? How about a united front and just all refuse to accept these deliveries?

ShadowFall Sat 29-Mar-14 10:59:03

YANBU.

I'd also be tempted to tell the senders that they'd been delivered to the wrong address.

LongPieceofString Sat 29-Mar-14 11:01:37

Instead of texting I would ph

LongPieceofString Sat 29-Mar-14 11:03:16

Oops. Instead of texting I would phone so you can be sure the number is still right. And say their stuff is outside on your path/drive for them to collect.

Unless they are boxes full of chocolate in which case I would stuff my face and practise my innocent face for later...

Viviennemary Sat 29-Mar-14 11:05:26

I'd contact the firm who sent the parcels and ask them to collect. And I might even put a notice up saying no parcels for x to be left at this address or they will be disposed of. But I probably wouldn't!

PrimalLass Sat 29-Mar-14 11:22:40

Have you called rather than texting? I would try calling and leaving a voicemail to say come and get them today or I'll put then out on the street.

DoJo Sat 29-Mar-14 11:39:45

I too would contact the supplier, it's what I did for a delivery I received for the previous occupants of my house. I told the company that I would keep them until the end of the week (although this was a much smaller package than yours!) and then I would leave them outside to be taken by the bin men, thieves or anyone else who wanted them. After they failed to pick them up, I called to confirm that they were outside and I said I wouldn't be taking any steps to protect them from the weather and so if they wanted their goods back they would have to come and get them. Someone took them in the end, but no idea who it was as I was out.

Nomama Sat 29-Mar-14 12:18:58

What DoJo said. Do that and let then sort it out.

That is all you have to do.

mayorquimby Sat 29-Mar-14 12:28:16

he's dropping them to their house??????

Why the fuck? that's pretty much exactly what they want

Crinkle77 Sat 29-Mar-14 12:36:13

I can't understand why the neighbours don't refuse delivery and tell the ex neighbours that they won't take anymore parcels.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Sat 29-Mar-14 12:37:11

I'd dump out the front of my house and Let the ex neighbour know they are there and come and pick them up whenever. No way would I deliver the items to them even if I did happen to be heading to the same town they now live in!

And I agree that there is something dodgy here. 2 years and they haven't updated their address details with their supplier?! wtf are they being supplied with btw? <nosey>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now