Talk

Advanced search

to say that every parent should be made to watch this film?

(13 Posts)
cashewfrenzy Sat 29-Mar-14 09:09:19

Longer trailer is available on YouTube I think but you get the flavour from this one:

film.missrepresentation.org/

Feminine Sat 29-Mar-14 09:38:55

What is it about?

I don't want to watch anything nasty.

Hup Sat 29-Mar-14 09:42:33

It's about the representation of women in the media

ElleMcFearsome Sat 29-Mar-14 09:44:15

The trouble is, with all these films, it's preaching to the choir. The people who are going to watch that know what the problems are. They know the messages our young women see, and they try to act to balance them. The ones who think media representation of women are just fine will behave like the MRA being interviewed, when the problem with a female president is "PMS and mood swings"...

That said, it was a good short trailer. And it has Margaret Cho <bows down>

Dorris83 Sat 29-Mar-14 10:03:26

Yes a very interesting video that demonstrates the casual sexism that pervades our society as well as America's.
I've always been in favour of a meritocracy rather than any 'positive discrimination' to propel women into power, but a stat on the video shocked me- it will take 500 years for the balance of women in congress to be reached... Well that's not good enough is it?

cashewfrenzy Sat 29-Mar-14 10:13:53

80% of news stories are about men. Without getting women up there into powerful jobs how will we change that?

I think we can start by sharing films like this with orour husbands, brothers and male friends. This films is important because there is no hand-wringing, just stark statistics backed up with personal stories.

cashewfrenzy Sat 29-Mar-14 10:15:09

Sorry for bizarre typos, phone keyboard is dying.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 29-Mar-14 10:26:56

Anyone know when this is out in the UK or where I could get a copy? I think it would be good for some group work my project does with vulnerable women.

cashewfrenzy Sat 29-Mar-14 11:24:33

I think it's download only - looks like it is on Netflix too but not sure if that's UK. It must be available in the uk as my friend downloaded it.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 29-Mar-14 18:46:14

Thanks! Will have a go!

cashewfrenzy Sat 29-Mar-14 22:09:12

Yes it's on Netflix here smile

LimeLelloLizard Sat 29-Mar-14 22:33:47

YANBU

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sat 29-Mar-14 22:35:58

Have a read of today's guardian magazine, interviews with young feminists working with young people to combat sexism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now