Talk

Advanced search

To ignore this even if google says it might make my arm drop off.

(18 Posts)
NobodyLivesHere Fri 28-Mar-14 20:17:12

I cut my finger a couple of days ago. The cut was minuscule, just a tiny nick with the scissors. But increasingly it's got painful and red and throbbing. The area is a bit swollen. Google says I probably have mrsa or septicimia or something. DP thinks I should go to the OOH gp, I think he's being ridiculous.

I'm not going to die am I?!?
grin

NewtRipley Fri 28-Mar-14 20:20:28

I would try tea tree oil on it of you have some. I've used it to clear up throbbing infected small cuts.

If you don't have any - go to the Pharmacist at the very least. It won't go away on its own.

I am not a Dr BUT i would piss about with my health. Did you look on an NHS website?

Dawndonnaagain Fri 28-Mar-14 20:20:43

Is there a red line coming from it?

Hoppinggreen Fri 28-Mar-14 20:20:52

If it's hot then it's infected. As long as red stripes aren't appearing up your arm though you should be ok until Monday .
Disclaimer - not a DR.

SolidGoldBrass Fri 28-Mar-14 20:21:01

Is it hot to the touch and do you feel queasy and dizzy? More importantly, is the inflammation spreading?

If yes to both, stop being a martyr and seek medical help. You might have cellulitis and that can kill you if it's left untreated, though it's more usually caused by insect bites than wounds. If it's just a small area of redness and swelling, and not getting any worse, you're probably OK.

BertieBotts Fri 28-Mar-14 20:23:32

It does sound infected. You should wash it out with some kind of disinfectant like TCP or dettol. (Not sure if you need to do this multiple times, maybe a couple of times a day?) If that doesn't clear the infection then go to the doctor.

NobodyLivesHere Fri 28-Mar-14 20:23:46

No red lines, I feel absolutely fine in myself, no fever or anything. I'm not be

NobodyLivesHere Fri 28-Mar-14 20:25:11

Oops! Being a martyr at all, I just don't think it warrants a drs appt on a Friday night, dp is prone to being dramatic. I
Will try tea tree oil though, thanks!

BertieBotts Fri 28-Mar-14 20:25:52

I'd still wash it out even if you feel fine. It should flush out any dirt that's lingering and help it heal quicker.

You can use salt water if you don't have anything else in. It will sting but anything will sting really.

Savlon might be antibacterial? I can't remember.

NewtRipley Fri 28-Mar-14 20:26:07

Cuts and Grazes

It sounds like it is infected. You may need antibiotics If you read, it says definitely take it seriously if it's on the palm.

YY to Cellulitis. Bloke on 24hr A&E had that from a cut had. V serious.

NobodyLivesHere Fri 28-Mar-14 20:30:20

You are freaking me out now people!
I have washed it, but will again and get some tea tree oil on it. If its no better by the morning I'll go see my pharmacist.

Only posted this to prove to do he was a drama llama, damn you sensible types. Lol

BertieBotts Fri 28-Mar-14 20:35:01

I doubt it's going to be anything serious, but you want to get some antiseptic on there smile Tea tree is fine.

missmagnum Fri 28-Mar-14 20:36:53

Just keep an eye on it, especially for red lines. Dp had an infected cut on his finger last week, ended up in a&e as he got two red lines tracking up his arm. It was very hot, throbbing and getting worse by the hour. He ended up with cellulitis and on strong antibiotics, after it was lanced.

For now lots of hot soaking, but go to ooh if it gets worse.

NobodyLivesHere Fri 28-Mar-14 20:38:15

Thanks everyone. I will keep an eye. :D

lastnightIwenttoManderley Fri 28-Mar-14 20:47:09

I nicked my finger with a knife once. Nothing serious but a couple of days later it was the size and appearance of a Cumberland sausage...

Phoned NHS direct who said 'that sounds nasty, go to walk in centre'. They said 'that looks nasty, go to A&E!

I was really blase about it but turns out it was infected ok, i was skinning a pork belly when i did it Had to have tetanus booster, something squirted in it, course of AB and hand in a sling for a fortnight to elevate and immobilise to stop spreading!

Not trying to scare you, I'm all fine now, just saying stupid things can be serious. If still swollen and red in the morning id at least speak to a Dr. Hope it gets better soon!

MelanieWiggles Fri 28-Mar-14 20:49:23

Soak it in very hot water with epsom salts, if you can get your hands on any. Keep an eye on it. I have had cellulitis twice - first time it began on a Friday and I managed to get into the GP v late that evening. She told me that if I had waited any later it would have meant two days in hospital on IV antibiotics.

eddielizzard Fri 28-Mar-14 20:51:04

iodine spray - savlon do one. it is absolutely amazing if you can get your hands on it. usually in chemists or waitrose sometimes have it.

Birnamwood Fri 28-Mar-14 20:58:18

oooh if we're doing horror stories...

my friend had a little cut on her leg, less than 0.5cm. Was fine for a week but then it got painful and inflamed. She went to the gp who prescribed antibiotics. 12hrs later she was in intensive care with necrotising fascitis (basically a flesh eating bug) and septicaemia. She was > < this far away from carking it at worst, at best, losing her leg.

Just sayin...

you'll be fine op, nowt to worry about

oh, sorry, forgot to say, she's fine now, apart from a massive scar from foot to knee but she's still with us thank god smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now