Talk

Advanced search

Megablocks call of duty

(18 Posts)
merrymouse Fri 28-Mar-14 17:32:23

AIBU to be a bit confused about this? I don't know anything about call of duty except that it is Pegi 16 or 18.

Are there over 16's who like megablocks?

Apparently the megablocks are for over 10's.

Oakmaiden Fri 28-Mar-14 17:35:40

My 16 year old likes Lego/Megablocks...

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Fri 28-Mar-14 17:39:09

There are different types of Megabloks though, there are the ones that are big and suitable for toddlers, then there are the blocks like Lego pieces.
I guess it is a bit like Lord of the Rings / star wars Lego sets, which are not aimed at children, but more at the older teen or adult market.

Not something I will be buying, but can't say it would bother me, as long as the boxes make it clear it is suitable for an older audience.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Fri 28-Mar-14 17:39:46

(I still like Lego, and I am really old....)

AgaPanthers Fri 28-Mar-14 17:40:48

10 year olds play those games IME.

Not mine, but everyone else's so I'm told.

LongPieceofString Fri 28-Mar-14 17:44:54

Sneaky way of making the game seem acceptable for young kids? Kind of directing not too clued up parents to assume that its fine for their 10+ child to play because they have a toy related to it?

merrymouse Fri 28-Mar-14 18:21:27

I thought lord of the rings and starwars had 12 or less ratings?

I imagine that there is a big market for figurines, t-shirts etc. for many cult films and games. I'm just not convinced these megablocks are aimed at that audience.

I came across them because I was looking for a present for a 9 year old, them something about the name rang a bell. I'm uncomfortable about it because I get the impression that games have these ratings for a reason.

merrymouse Fri 28-Mar-14 18:24:09

Can't think of any lego themes that are listed as 10+ but relate to an older audience. Can't think of any 16+ lego licensing deals at all...

GinSoakedMisery Fri 28-Mar-14 18:26:24

Are you sure it's cal of duty and not Halo? Ds1 is 10 and likes the Halo mega bloks

merrymouse Fri 28-Mar-14 18:39:48

Definitely call of duty.

Goldendandelion Fri 28-Mar-14 18:45:46

I've just looked at it and it just looks like army sets. My 10 and 8 year olds have Halo megabloks but they don't play the game, they just like the sets.

MerylStrop Fri 28-Mar-14 18:49:45

YANBU
Those games are nasty
Star Wars and LOTR really not comparable in any way - they are films with y'know a plot and everything
What's next Grand Theft Auto playmobil?

merrymouse Fri 28-Mar-14 18:51:23

I think it's the fact that it looks like an action man army set that bothers me - if it's a collector's set aimed at older gamers why list it as suitable for 10 year olds? If it is aimed at 10 year olds why not just make an army set?

Call of duty, as far as I can make out is not action man.

Goldendandelion Fri 28-Mar-14 18:53:09

Oh and my 21 year old plays those games and loves lego, but he is a geek smile

BertieBotts Fri 28-Mar-14 18:56:00

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of confused

I suppose though it's similar to various superhero merchandise being aimed at kids even though the films are quite violent and 15 or 18 certificates.

I don't like it. I think adult interests should not be marketed as kids' toys.

wonderingsoul Fri 28-Mar-14 18:56:31

its for adult... i cant see what wrong with it?
if an adult lieks the game.,, why cant they have fun building it and displaying it?

its not aimed at kids.. if a kid ends up with it or playing it its down to the parents.

merrymouse Fri 28-Mar-14 19:05:02

I don't have a problem with an adult buying this set. However, based on the pack it is suitable for 10 year olds.

Oakmaiden Sat 29-Mar-14 18:39:23

because a 10 year old could play with the set and enjoy themselves? Whereas the game is not suitable for a 10 year old. Call of Duty is an 18(? or whatever it is) because of the graphic violence and swearing. I don't think Megablocks has that aspect, so it is available to a wider audience.

Merchandise for films has always been targeted at children outside the age range of the films. I find it irritating, but not really a big deal. ?I am quite capable of saying to my children "Yes, you can have the lego. No, you can't watch the film/pay the game."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now