Talk

Advanced search

To want to put a sign on the door telling them to sod off?

(76 Posts)
dogscatsandbabies Fri 28-Mar-14 15:37:20

It is not usual for me to be at home during the day. Usually work full time but am now on maternity leave. In the past 3 days I've answered the door to 3 cold callers who have tried to sell me make-up, a Netflicks replacement and sign me up to a charity prize draw.

Is it going to be like this all the time I'm off? At least the huge bump is currently a great excuse to say I have no intention of spending money but seriously- should I put up a sign or just hope a chainsaw salesman comes round next and wield that in their faces?

Greenkit Fri 28-Mar-14 15:40:13

�1.99 from Amazon

CloverHeart Fri 28-Mar-14 15:42:20

Its not unreasonable at all!

We live in an area where cold calling is actually banned - enforced by a huge sign at the entrance to the cul-de-sac and our neighbourhood watch commitee - yet I still had to answer the door to Jehovas witness' last week and tell them they shouldn't be knocking on anyones door.

I find it completely disrespectful anyway, never mind when I've moved to a zone that specifies that it isn't allowed!

dogscatsandbabies Fri 28-Mar-14 15:46:23

That sign is genius. Although I would put a chainsaw in the hand for extra effect!

SergeantJarhead Fri 28-Mar-14 15:52:27

YANBU. I live in a high traffic street and get this almost every day ... not to mention the daily piles of fucking junk mail. ARGH. Thanks Clover I've bought the sticker plus a 'No junk mail' sticker now. :D

Xfirefly Fri 28-Mar-14 15:57:05

we got a sign off my money supermarket for free which says 'no cold callers, no salespeople or religious groups' . and it has worked. I've seen numerous salespeople and religious groups in the cup de sac and they don't come here grin

EatDessertFirst Fri 28-Mar-14 16:56:06

I just stand in the window and wave at them. Then walk off and continue what I was doing, which is usually cooking dinner. DS3 enjoys waving at them as well.

They get pretty narked when I don't open the door. Hilarious though slightly petty!!

EEatingSoupForLunch Fri 28-Mar-14 16:59:14

I deliver leaflets for a political party. I ignore the signs that say "no junk mail" on the basis that giving information to inform participation in democracy is not junk.

<off topic>

Objection Fri 28-Mar-14 17:06:04

How about this one?

Objection Fri 28-Mar-14 17:07:07

I think this one gets the point across quite nicely too

Objection Fri 28-Mar-14 17:08:26

I deliver leaflets for a political party. I ignore the signs that say "no junk mail" on the basis that giving information to inform participation in democracy is not junk.

I also ignore the no junk signs when delivering my "support Satan" leaflets on the basis that trying to feed my master souls can't be interpreted as junk.

jerryfudd Fri 28-Mar-14 17:10:30

Just don't open the door. I just look out of the window and if it's not someone I know I don't answer - there's no law that says you have too -I view it as call screening

FelixFelix Fri 28-Mar-14 17:11:50

I'm on maternity leave too, and in December we moved from an apartment (no cold callers or leaflets at all!) to a terraced house and I'm constantly answering the door to random people. I also get a stupid amount of takeaway leaflets and other crap posted through my door.

Luckily I look really young, so I just tell people who knock that my parents are at work grin

hedgehogy Fri 28-Mar-14 17:17:06

We've got a sign. We live on a quiet cul-de-sac but when I started maternity leave I also discovered that we get lots of cold callers. Do we want new double glazing? To give to charity? To change energy suppliers? Any iron to get rid of? Trees that need cutting? When baby arrived I could stand it no more as they disturbed her naps. The sign works.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Fri 28-Mar-14 17:33:27

This did my head in on maternity leave! Equally, junk mail deliverers when you have a sign saying you don't want any. I tried to give leaflets back to one guy delivering junk mail once, referring him to the sign, and he told me to f*ck off. So I rang every single company he'd delivered a leaflet for and told them just who they had out representing them. Most were relatively small local companies and were very apologetic, to be fair, but it still put me off using any of them.

starfishmummy Fri 28-Mar-14 17:35:43

When we moved here there was a sign already on the door. Most salesmen would still knock and then try to tell me why the "no salesmen" did not apply to them

sandiy Fri 28-Mar-14 18:47:32

I had a doorstep chugger get shirty with me because strangely enough at five fifteen trying to get in my front door with three starving kids after a long emotionally draining day at work I could nt spare five minutes to talk about cancer.Why the heck do these people fail to demonstrate common sence

randomfemale Fri 28-Mar-14 18:52:44

Greenkit I have that exact sticker on my front door - works a treat. Best couple of quid I ever spent grin

pigsDOfly Fri 28-Mar-14 19:50:28

Another one who had this today. Guy trying to sign people up for breast cancer research. As soon as he started with his script I stopped him and said if you're trying to sign people up I'm not interested because I don't give my bank details to people at the door and I give to charities of my own choice and went to shut the door; pretty clear, I would have thought.

But no, he started making weak jokes about being able to sign me up at the window if I preferred and so on and so on. I must have come across as quite disagreeable as I know I didn't smile or appear friendly. In the end he started getting a bit cross with me because I wouldn't let him have his say. I had to be quite forceful to get rid of him.

What the hell?

I need to get a sign.

EEatingSoupForLunch Fri 28-Mar-14 20:07:34

Right Objection and I suspect people who deliver pizza leaflets ignore the signs too on basis that their pizzas are nice and tasty. Basically, I don't think the signs work.

Xfirefly Tue 01-Apr-14 11:47:23

I just want ONE person to knock the door so I can refer them to my sign. But nope, it really does work!

MiaowTheCat Tue 01-Apr-14 12:44:10

They all just ignore the signs anyway. Had half the fucking Labour party on my doorstep annoying me the other Sunday morning. Now I'm all for political participation - but bothering me at 9am on a Sunday with a "I really can't be fucked doing this" facial expression and a clipboard that still has "X University Naked Volleyball Team" (I may be exaggerating about the team here - it was something more boring than that) tippexed on the back isn't going to get my vote.

It's fucking dubious "charity" bags that annoy me the most - they get scrunched up inside the letter box... oh and fucking kleeneze - despite me CONSTANTLY requesting no more books, with nicely addressed notes in the plastic bag - they keep on coming and then you end up with them lying on the front doorstep for three days becoming a nice slip hazard in the wet weather, a toddler distraction every time you enter or leave the house and DH keeps bringing the bastard things back inside "being helpful"

Welcome to the world of being at home during the daytime! I had half the street's parcels here just before Christmas - I don't mind that, it's the salesmen, chuggers and what-nots.... especially since they all do a return tour of the street in the evening to catch the after-work crowd so you get bothered twice.

pricklyPea Tue 01-Apr-14 12:44:17

I have this sign up that I just printed out and people still bother me. The bell is next to the bloody thing and it's huge and they still press the button. One woman did and then said "oh I just read the sign. ..sorry"

It's fine until you have a baby and sleep is actually precious. Then the rage appears.

Might be worth printing a sign that just says "Fuck off".

BigRedBall Tue 01-Apr-14 12:47:53

Yanbu! The worse is when they awake my sleeping babies. Feel like smashing their heads. Oh and I hate those charity bags too. We had 6 last week. What's so special about mid-late march?

fideline Tue 01-Apr-14 12:48:34

"I deliver leaflets for a political party. I ignore the signs that say "no junk mail" on the basis that giving information to inform participation in democracy is not junk."

Fair enough EEating especially as political parties do most of the work in encouraging electoral turnout nowadays.

Only exception i'd make though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now