Talk

Advanced search

To think the owner of the house attached to mine should have mentioned disruptive works before they started?

(7 Posts)
CoolaSchmoola Fri 28-Mar-14 13:34:56

We own a semi detached house. I am, I think, very easy going and don't mind quite a high level of noise (lived in Army quarters for years, I'm used to loud neighbours!) that would possibly drive other people to distraction.

The house next door is a buy to let property, under a letting agent, and I have never met the owner. On Monday morning three big vans turned up and constant LOUD noise started 8am to 4pm every day since.

I finally cracked yesterday and rang the letting agent because a picture fell off my wall with the vibrations in my living room. Apparently they are having a full rewire and are stripping of plaster, down to the brick, with some sort of pneumatic drill and a hammer. It's going to be at least another week.

To give an idea of the noise level I can't hear my tv even up full blast, I can't hear my DD if she is at the opposite side of the living room, let alone in another room, she can't nap because the noise is so loud, my elderly, terminally ill dog keeps leaping up and barking because she is being startled - and most of all I can't work, which I do from home, and I'm approaching year end.

To add insult to injury, at least four of the workmen smoke, which they are doing in the front garden, in rotation, which means I can't open the playroom windows as it's coming in and every time I go out the front door I get a lungful. Yes I know this is petty but on top of the noise it's giving me the RAGE.

I have also had to ask them not to block my driveway.

As I said, I have a high tolerance for noise, never complain about day to day living, weekend parties etc but this is really beyond the levels of anything approaching normal.

I completely understand that the work needs to be done - I have no issue with that, we all have to work on our property at times. But if they had told me in advance I could have made alternate arrangements, such as putting dd in childcare, putting the dog in kennels to minimise her stress and rearranging my workload. As it is I have a load of work to do, a very stressed jumpy barking dog and an absolutely shattered dd who I can't leave alone at all because I can't hear her.

AIBU to be seriously pissed that they couldn't take five minutes to knock on my door or even shove a note through just to make me aware that there would be increased noise, thus giving me the option to make other arrangements?

MissMarplesBloomers Fri 28-Mar-14 13:39:43

Letting agents wouldn't think of that, even if the owner might have if present.

YANBU to expect a bit of courtesy & maybe a quiet word with the letting agent to agree a few rules ( not smoking near your open windows for one) but I don't suppose they would do anything.

Let's hope the buggers are efficient & quick with all the noisy stuff at least.

Woobeedoo Fri 28-Mar-14 17:29:08

We had the same problem about 18mths ago, neither the letting agent, new owners or builders (who worked 7 days a week from 9am til 8:30pm). At one stage the noise was so bad, my OH who works from home, had to simply up and leave the house for the afternoon.

Oh, and there was also the time that after they plastered the interior, they left an industrial fan on all weekend. The incessant hum nearly drove me insane.

Not to matter now though as we have lovely neighbours who roughly every two weeks have a full-on scream & shout fight, followed by a game of 'let's throw heavy furniture against the wall'. The joys of living next door to a rental.

I wish you luck!

Nomama Fri 28-Mar-14 18:44:50

My boss broke her foot last year. We went to her house to get some work done. She apologised that her neighbour was having work done - it was really loud.

As we sat there a drill came through the wall, twice! I had to go round (remember her foot) and get them to stop! The builder was horrified, but the new home owner was really, really rude.

Not sure where I am going with this. But I don't think that some people give a millisecond's thought for other people when they are in 'my nest mode.'

The builder offered to fill and fix the damage once he had finished the house. He painted the whole room and put some shelves up for her too (her DH is not a handyman). The neighbour hasn't been a problem since, they aren't friendly or chatty though.

halfdrunktea Fri 28-Mar-14 19:39:52

I agree they should have let you know. It is only polite but I think less likely to happen with an agency. Having said that we forgot to tell our neighbours we were having work done until the day before although we have a detached house and the noisy bit didn't start straight away.

Woobeedo I wish we had your builders! Our work would probably be finished by now if they worked such long hours!

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 28-Mar-14 19:49:44

It depends on the nature of the work being done, but you legally have to be notified of sone stuff under The Party Wall Agreement Act (specifically foundations, I think).

CoolaSchmoola Sat 29-Mar-14 12:04:30

I checked re the legal requirement for notification and it applies if they touch the brick. I'm loving the quiet the weekend has brought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now