Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think the cost of these tickets are a bit steep?

(10 Posts)
BerylStreep Fri 28-Mar-14 12:45:09

So DD's school are putting on a play. She is 8.

Tickets to see the play are £10 for adults, and £5 for children.

My friend told me the other day that she has shelled out £60 for her, her DH and both sets of GP to go and see the play.

My DS's school has just had their school play, and they charged £2.50 for tickets.

I don't mind making a contribution towards the set / costumes etc, but is it just me, or is this a bit steep?

flipchart Fri 28-Mar-14 12:46:41

It would probably be cheaper to go to a production at your local theatre and see a decent show tbh.

Dinosaursareextinct Fri 28-Mar-14 12:46:42

Definitely profit-making. Will parents boycott it?

ImAlpharius Fri 28-Mar-14 12:49:30

What are they performing?

BerylStreep Fri 28-Mar-14 12:58:45

It is Peter Pan (hope that's not too identifiable).

It's hard, I don't think parents can boycott, because the children will want to see their loved ones in the audience. They have worked really hard for this. (A little too hard IMO, to the detriment of school work. The older ones have been spending 3 full days a week for the last 3 weeks rehearsing, as well as a full day on Saturday - however I know it is good for their confidence etc).

However, had the tickets been a more reasonable price, I would have brought me, DH, GP x3, and DS along. However, I couldn't justify spending £55 on tickets. As it is, only I am going.

BackforGood Fri 28-Mar-14 13:03:31

I think that's massive. I think it's fine to sell tickets rather than let everyone in for free, as there are expenses to cover, but I think tha'ts a lot to ask

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Fri 28-Mar-14 13:05:39

Where are they performing the show? If it is in a proper theatre there will be over heads that the school can't always absorb.
Jason Manford did a show at our local theatre - he said that it cost him £8 per seat to put his show on (our tickets were £12 each as a warm up gig - well worth it!). So when DN did a dance show at the same local theatre I wasn't shocked at the £9 ticket price.
If it is in the school building though I would expect it to be more reasonable.

kim147 Fri 28-Mar-14 13:08:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kim147 Fri 28-Mar-14 13:10:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BerylStreep Fri 28-Mar-14 16:37:30

I spoke with the teacher today. Apparently they are having to pay for the venue, along with lighting staff and refreshments. Usually the parents' association do tea & coffee, however the venue won't let them do it.

I'm glad that at least I have raised my concerns with the school. I wonder if many other parents have said anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now