Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what's so bad about chips?

(95 Posts)
Dancergirl Fri 28-Mar-14 11:02:47

Well oven chips specifically. I buy the Mccain ones - two ingredients - potatoes and sunflower oil. So why do people think they're so bad?

TiggyD Fri 28-Mar-14 11:09:03

I don't think they're so bad.

They're not good if you only eat them, but as part of a balanced diet, fine.

MaidOfStars Fri 28-Mar-14 11:09:28

Because some people need to spend time peeling and chopping and basting and seasoning and roasting in prefer to feel smugly validated? wink

MaidOfStars Fri 28-Mar-14 11:10:05

prefer=order.

SaucyJack Fri 28-Mar-14 11:11:52

Because they only taste nice when they're deep fried and covered in salt and mayo.

I don't bother with oven chips. They taste like cardboard and I'd just as soon go without.

TiggyD Fri 28-Mar-14 11:13:10

Maybe they're seen as bad because they're often eaten by weeble women of the type you see in straining see-through leggings, showing their thong filled arses as they swing-smack their "little shits" round Lidl?

ILickPicnMix Fri 28-Mar-14 11:14:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UriGeller Fri 28-Mar-14 11:14:56

They're certainly better for you than Hestons twatty thrice fried potato oblongs or whatever twatty name he gives chips but there are people i know would sneer at McCain or Aunt Bessie and swoon over Hestons.

Dancergirl Fri 28-Mar-14 11:16:04

Ok they're not as bad as proper fried chips, but they're not bad.

I always put extra oil on my oven chips, otherwise they don't taste like chips IMO (spectacularly misses the point)

MeepMeepVroooom Fri 28-Mar-14 11:19:35

fiscal

Genius

<off to make a nice healthy lunch chips >

Dancergirl Fri 28-Mar-14 11:20:16

I think the key to oven chips is cooking them for long enough.

TiggyD Fri 28-Mar-14 11:20:20

I really want some now. Or tonight at least.

gobbynorthernbird Fri 28-Mar-14 11:21:51

Dancer the worst thing in the world is over done oven chips.

Birdsgottafly Fri 28-Mar-14 11:22:07

Personally, I need to eat a lot of chips to feel full, so that's what makes them bad for me.

They aren't just Potato and Veg Oil, as in the Veg Oul you can buy, because I'm Vegan and Oven chips aren't always even Vegetarian!

So I have learned that what goes into processed food, of any sort, isn't what we think.

I think that Chips are used as an accompliment to fish/meat etc and then only a veg, such as peas are added.

So as a regular meal, it isn't the best choice.

People getire creative if using Carbs in other forms.

But then some will have Salad and Chips, so it's individual.

You have to look at your whole daily choices, tbh.

Dancergirl Fri 28-Mar-14 11:27:42

But gobby under-done is even worse!

ComposHat Fri 28-Mar-14 11:27:49

Because what is dressed up as 'healthy eating' is often just an excuse to indulge in petty oneupmanship, class prejudice and baseless snobbery. It is rampant on Mumsnet.

For example frozen vegetables are equally if not more nutritious than 'fresh' ones, but frozen vegetables seem to make a section of posters clutch their pearls and think of the type of women tiggy mentions.

On mumsnet it seems that unless you've spent the proceeding 15 hours cooking 'from scratch' (whatever that means) whatever the middle class food fad is this week, whilst declaring it costs 2p per portion and will feed the family until the end of the summer holidays, you are clearly 'not one of us' will be responsible for turning your children into fifty stone behemoths and are probably better off on Nethuns.

ADishBestEatenCold Fri 28-Mar-14 11:28:10

I'll probably regret this, be forevermore banished from mumsnet, and never ever ever be able to live this down, but I'm going to 'come out' here.

I like Macdonalds chips.blush

OH MY GOD! I said it!!!! blush blush

UriGeller Fri 28-Mar-14 11:28:10

Parsnip oven chips are the best.

Dancergirl Fri 28-Mar-14 11:29:35

I like your post compos! smile

Badvoc Fri 28-Mar-14 11:30:15

Nothing wrong with them.
It depends how often you have them and what you serve them with IMO.

Badvoc Fri 28-Mar-14 11:30:34

Parsnip oven chips!?
Do tell!

JuniperTisane Fri 28-Mar-14 11:30:59

McDs fries dipped in strawberry milkshake are the best.

I don't mind oven chips every so often. My kids both ignore them on the plate though so I don't cook them much.

JuniperTisane Fri 28-Mar-14 11:31:25

or Chippy Chips with mushy peas. Yum.

Badvoc Fri 28-Mar-14 11:33:00

Chippy chips and curry sauce smile food of the gods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now