Talk

Advanced search

to think and hour is an awfully long time to be massaged?

(29 Posts)
hamptoncourt Fri 28-Mar-14 09:11:52

Hen weekend/Spa Break (whole other thread)

Going to extraordinarily posh Spa place and so I thought I would avail myself of a treatment. My face is a disaster zone so I had considered a facial.

However, as my work is very stressful I thought a massage might be a better choice for me. Anti stress massage is available 60 mins £75 or 30 mins £55.

I have never had a massage before so I am wondering if 60 minutes is a bit long? I will probably fall asleep and start dribbling.

As Mumsnet is clearly full of Seasoned Spa Breakers I thought I would ask your advice please?

milkingmachine1 Fri 28-Mar-14 09:14:04

Nope, not too long at all. I love a good massage. Have fun and enjoy!

Nooo!!! Not long enough, if you get a good massage you want it to go on for ever smile

londonrach Fri 28-Mar-14 09:15:47

Go for the hour if you can afford it. Enjoy your spa weekend and relax. X

FuckingFuck Fri 28-Mar-14 09:17:29

Definitely have the hour long one - it's not too long at all!

blanchedeveraux Fri 28-Mar-14 09:17:30

60 minutes is never enough for me. Best one I ever had was 90 minutes. Can't get enough massage, me!

MorrisZapp Fri 28-Mar-14 09:18:04

Aha, spa goers. Do you think facials are worth the money? Do they make your skin look or feel any different?

OP, I don't like long massages as I don't enjoy anything from waist down. Half an hour would be perfect for me as it would all be back, neck, shoulders.

CocktailQueen Fri 28-Mar-14 09:20:51

Definitely go for the hour! It always takes me a little while to relax into a massage.

Morris - depends which one you go for. I recommend the Elemis rejuvenating one that Champneys do - moisturising, exfoliating - my skin felt softer and smoother afterwards. But don't expect miracles....

SJLTM Fri 28-Mar-14 09:21:17

I give massage and in my experience it usually takes client about 15 mins to properly relax . So an hour isn't too long. If my client does fall asleep , I take this as a complement smile

samandi Fri 28-Mar-14 09:22:26

Not long enough!

ScarletLady02 Fri 28-Mar-14 09:22:31

Definitely go for the hour....I had an hour long hot stone massage, it was AMAZING, I could have just gone to sleep after

Bramshott Fri 28-Mar-14 09:22:56

I would love a 60 minute massage right now!

CoffeeTea103 Fri 28-Mar-14 09:26:46

It's definitely not too long, once it's over you will be wishing it was longer smile

extremepie Fri 28-Mar-14 10:02:58

I'm not a profession but when I do a full body I normally take about 2 hours! An hour seems a little short to me (but maybe that's just me taking too long :D)

extremepie Fri 28-Mar-14 10:03:21

^professional

Allergictoironing Fri 28-Mar-14 10:10:09

Ex-professional here. There's an awful lot of a body (even a small one) to cover, and if you break it down into body parts then it suddenly doesn't seem anywhere near as long. 5 mins per lower leg, 5 mins per arm. 5 mins per upper leg. That's half the hour gone just with limbs! Back, neck & shoulders you want at least 20-30 mins on. Then bear in mind there's the couple of minutes disrobing, getting comfortable, masseuse asking questions like areas to be concentrated on & depth of massage required. The time it may take you to drag your body back off the couch when all you want to do is lie there & drift away - though a decent spa will normally allow a few minutes after your treatment has finished before needing the room freed up.

Half an hour for back/neck/shoulders, full hour for whole body. If you can afford the time & money go for the full body, it is an amazing experience & you may find yourself addicted!

Allergictoironing Fri 28-Mar-14 10:11:10

Oh and if there's an aromatherapy option, assuming you don't have skin allergies, go for that for the full relaxing experience grin

YoDiggity Fri 28-Mar-14 10:11:29

No, not too long. In fact 30 mins is too bloody short.

hamptoncourt Fri 28-Mar-14 10:23:38

Thanks all so much for your speedy replies. I will spoil myself and book the 60 mins.

hamptoncourt Fri 28-Mar-14 16:09:58

OMG it is booked! Will report back.

minibmw2010 Fri 28-Mar-14 16:54:51

I love massages so much. Minimum I book is an hour, so lovely.

Pigletin Fri 28-Mar-14 17:19:54

OP enjoy! Once you have a massage you will want to go all the time. Speaking of which...must book one for myself next week!

pinkr Fri 28-Mar-14 18:34:47

I go for massages for an hour and get just my back and shoulders...I love a right hard massage with proper kneading etc. I don't like just being tickled... Guess my masseuse has to work for her money with me! !

SweetTeaVodka Fri 28-Mar-14 18:47:11

An hour's massage sounds like bliss! Enjoy it smile

traininthedistance Fri 28-Mar-14 19:13:06

Not long enough! If they offered 3hr massages I'd be there like a shot blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now