Talk

Advanced search

what do you do on the weekend/day off?

(77 Posts)
Moomey Fri 28-Mar-14 07:12:04

My sil and bil spend most of their weekend in their pjs in front of telly. I know they work hard during the week but this just seems like a waste of a weekend :/... It also seems unfair on the small kids!

GertTheFlirt Fri 28-Mar-14 07:14:51

Why don't you take the kids out for her?

There is also such a thing as micro managing which is also very unhealthy. Quality family time lounging about - nothing wrong with it at all. Not everyone want to be up with the sparrows fart, off to pony club, followed by ballet, archer, mini soccer and other enforced activities all bloody weekend.

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 28-Mar-14 07:17:14

I am off today. I plan to get my hair coloured this morning, then pick my toddler up from playgroup, take her to m and s cafe for lunch, do some grocery shopping, then head over to my daughters school for Mother's Day assembly. I am going out for dinner tonight for a friends 40th. This is a fairly typical day off for me.

Moomey Fri 28-Mar-14 07:23:06

They live 4 hrs away gert.... Plus do you really think that is the solution? Why can't they take their own kids out?

Moomey Fri 28-Mar-14 07:24:48

Plus I'm not saying they shoukd be doing loads of managed activities.... But it just seems lazy!

WanderingAway Fri 28-Mar-14 07:28:00

My 9 year old & i dont do much at the weekends. She loves playing out with her friends on the street or playing on the computer.
After a long week neither of us want to do anything coz we are both tired.

WanderingAway Fri 28-Mar-14 07:29:19

What should they be doing then?

soundedbetterinmyhead Fri 28-Mar-14 07:29:22

It depends what the kids have been doing all week. Mine have to do breakfast club, after school club five days a week, so out between 7.45 and 6pm when they don't see either of us. Nothing wrong with watching films in PJS together on Saturday. That's better for the DCs than me running round the housing cleaning. If they're at home all day in the week though, they could probably do with some fresh air.

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Fri 28-Mar-14 07:39:50

I'm off today. During the week we're (me, dp and ds just gone 2) are up and out from 7.15am - 6.30pm so by Friday we're shattered!

Today we're slobbing in front of Postman Pat - we'll stay on the couch till he gets restless but atm I'm enjoying him snuggling into my legs :-)

I need a bath - ds might jump in too.

Then we're walking to Lidl then meeting my mum in town for lunch.

I'd like to say we're going to the toddler group round theccorner at 9 am - I say we'll go every week but we never make it!

I'd like to say we're going swimming or to a museum this afternoon but we're not. I'm knackered and so is ds so we'll slob instead.

GlassCaseofEmotion Fri 28-Mar-14 07:40:57

On Wednesdays I have a day off and I do housework in the morning, then shopping with baby DS in the afternoon and then his toddler group.

Saturdays we are up early as DH plays golf while DS and I go swimming. A quick whip round the house, then lunch and the rest of the day is usually an outing.

Sundays are lazy days. Late breakfast, church and then I get to catch up on my rubbish TV whilst DH sorts out dinner and DS. Lazy works for us!

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 28-Mar-14 07:47:45

Saturday- in the morning DH works, dd goes to drama, ds1 and 2 go to football training. I catch up on housework and study for a bit.

In the afternoon we do nothing. Watch tv, play ps3, watch a film, bring the duvets downstairs, sleep for a bit, whatever else involves not moving if possible.

Sunday we are up at 7am, 2 football matches, come home, have lunch, relax until about 6/7 when I cook dinner and DH does the ironing.

It's bloody lovely to do nothing.
Me and DH are at work all week, ds2 has football training twice a week, ds1 trains 3 times a week, dd is revising for GCSEs with a lot of after school classes, sometimes you need to do nothing

worldgonecrazy Fri 28-Mar-14 07:50:32

We work in a part time job about one third of the weekends, another third of weekends we do National Trust, the other third is visiting family or doing other nice stuff. We have about 2 or 3 "slob" days a year when we don't get ready until about midday.

simonelebonbon Fri 28-Mar-14 08:07:30

Do you work full time, Op?

My weekend activities have varied wildly depending on whether I have been at home, worked part time or worked full time. There have been days when I have been working full time when I have spent a full Sunday in my PJs. I regularly used to come home late and walk straight into bed.

My Mum never used to understand it either. Then again she never worked in a full time demanding job. I used to ignore her..

cottonwoolmum Fri 28-Mar-14 08:14:56

We do a bit of everything. There's usually one day each weekend when DC are loafing in their PJs until midday (or all day!) watching TV and playing games on computers and doing their homework. I usually chuck them out into the fresh air for an hour or so on that day. The other day we are either sociable with friends or go out as a family - into London or into the countryside.

I go to running club too. DC used to do sport but that's folded sad . But we have lovely local bike rides or invite friends round for Sunday lunch etc.

Sometimes go to cinema or theatre or art gallery as a family.
Sometimes stay in and have pizza and film night.

Thattimeofyearagain Fri 28-Mar-14 08:22:39

Weekends usually sleep in til 8 ish, gym \ swim , housework with dh . Afternoons visiting/ having visitors / telly/ reading/ running mum taxi service wink

Thattimeofyearagain Fri 28-Mar-14 08:23:30

* sleep in till 8 - weekdays up at 4:45 .

Fifyfomum Fri 28-Mar-14 08:24:33

I think its just as dangerous to have children that are constantly entertained/need entertaining. Kids need space to do their own things, school is pretty hectic for them!

Ledkr Fri 28-Mar-14 08:39:11

I'm off today. I'm in holey pjs toddler dressed as upsy daisy watching peppa pig me watching g house of cards on I pad.
We have speech therapy at 1 then ballet at 3 which we wil have a nice walk to. In out tonight so will shower this mornjng and just do hair and make up later.
I have fairly busy weekends though and work 3 days a week

TheDoctorsNewKidneys Fri 28-Mar-14 08:39:57

No DC here.

I work 3-4 days a week. On my days off, I do a mixture of housework, grocery shopping, reading, watching TV and relaxing.

DP and I have one day off together. We normally laze in bed until 8-9am, have breakfast (either at home or we go out), and either slob at home watching movies/playing video games, or go out to the cinema/for lunch/for a day out.

No need to be doing something all the time.

I'm off today and I didn't sleep well last night, so I'm spending my day in bed doing nothing much. I'll meet DP after work to do the weekly shop, then we'll settle down with a bottle of wine and a film.

thebody Fri 28-Mar-14 08:47:29

absolutely adore a slobby day in pjs, coal fire lit, good telly or a film, under a blanket with dds home made pizza and lots of chat and cuddles.

we all work hard all week so it's luxury for us all.

I remember the football/cricket/rugby years with dss!! hard times.

chanie44 Fri 28-Mar-14 08:50:04

I always like to be active on my days off and couldn't understand why OH would 'waste' his days lying on the sofa.

Then I discovered Myers-Briggs assessments.

Part of the theory is that people have different preferences and some people recharge their batteries internally (eg doing nothing) and others need external stimulation (eg meeting friends etc).

NearTheWindymill Fri 28-Mar-14 08:52:16

I have Saturday and Sunday and DH is away this weekend (at his mother's, sorting her bills, garden, some building work, etc).

Tonight I'll do a big shop then dd and I are going out to dinner. Tomorrow I put away all the laundry, tidy up, do dd's bed, generally potter, probably go to the shopping centre and I have girl friends coming for dinner.

Sunday is church, pottering, something with DD and having a rest.

I need a bit of a rest at weekends; life is full on. But when they were tiny it was all go all the time.

CheesyBadger Fri 28-Mar-14 09:03:33

Weekends and weekdays when we have nothing in particular to do, dd (3) and I love to stay in pjs and cook, watch tv, play in her room, take it slow. We like to potter about at home. I honestly believe my mum letting us just be helped me to be the happy person I am

ILoveWooly Fri 28-Mar-14 09:04:13

I am off today grin.

This morning I am taking DD2 to Sainsburys and Aldi to do the weekly shop then home, put it all away and grab a bit of lunch. This afternoon we are going to bookbug club. My PIL are popping in for a coffee after school.
Tonight we are babysitting for a friend so full house.

Tomorrow is set aside for delivering mothers day gifts to my mum and gran, mil will get hers tonight. Then quiet night to recover from the babysitting.

Sunday morning mass then tennis lessons. Sunday afternoon will involve a nice walk and some form of mothers day eating.

justasmallone Fri 28-Mar-14 09:07:17

I work weekends and have baby ds all week. I class the week as my time off I guess?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now