Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be freaking out about A&E

(32 Posts)
Andthentherewere2 Fri 28-Mar-14 05:30:10

Our tiny 9 day old needed a follow on blood test yesterday and due to clinic closures etc we were advised to bring her to A&E to get it done.

Lots of sick kids in the waiting room. We were put in a little side room as baby is so young, but I am terrified that she will have caught something ... anything from the vomiting bug to whooping cough to pneumonia are all going through my mind (no sleep in not helping)

I am furious with myself for putting her at risk for something non-essential.

Please please help put my mind at rest and tell me the risks are very low ...

SecretWitch Fri 28-Mar-14 05:41:06

Honey, she is in the right place. You are doing your absolute best to take care of your sweet baby ( congratulations btw!) Let the medical staff take care of her and you should be looking after yourself as well. I hope you have some snacks and fluids with you (especially if you are BF, such thirsty work!) You are only 9 days postpartum, so I imagine you must be exhausted from the birth, worry and lack of sleep. Is there someone with you? I am sending tonnnes of good wishes to your little girl..let us know how things go...xx

UnicornCrisps Fri 28-Mar-14 06:10:13

Mine was in childrens A&E at 8 days and back and forth to hospital with me for the next few months and she is fine. I completely understand the anxiety, but try not to worry and look after yourself aswell as your baby. I hope all is OK flowers

AgentProvocateur Fri 28-Mar-14 06:10:22

SecretWitch, did you read the OP? Your post sounds like a computer generated message in response to the words "A&E" and "baby" hmm

Andthentherewere2, your baby will not have caught anything in the waiting room. Shocking that clinic closures have led to that though - that's not what A&E should be doing. Enjoy your baby and look after yourself.

Sirzy Fri 28-Mar-14 06:24:16

Locally it is normal for peads a and e to run the bloods clinic - makes sense really because they have the specially trained staff to do it.

Try not to worry. The hospital took steps to keep your baby away from the others, I am sure all will be fine.

SecretWitch Fri 28-Mar-14 06:33:58

AgentProvacateur, I read it and offered words of comfort. Your kindness in pointing out my failure is very appreciated. In the meantime, fuck off..

slartybartfast Fri 28-Mar-14 06:42:49

are you breast feeding op? or did you? because that will protect her. but I am sure she will be fine.

Aeroflotgirl Fri 28-Mar-14 07:49:30

Nothing wrong with secretspost completely fine, and a really lovely post. I know the feeling op, I would be reluctant to take a young newborn to A&E unless it's absolute emergency. If this can wait until Monday and go to the Antenatal ward or can't the Midwife come and do it. I am saying that as I was waiting in walk in doctors at our hospital, there was someone with D&V, no windows or ventilation, and lovely and behold I caught it a week later.

Aeroflotgirl Fri 28-Mar-14 07:51:20

Or take to A&E and mabey triage nurse who usually sees you in the first half hour in children's A&E can do it there and then.

StealthPolarBear Fri 28-Mar-14 07:51:48

Really? The ops baby is not in hospital! I thought the computer generated thing too

Mckayz Fri 28-Mar-14 07:52:58

I thought Secret's post was really bizarre. I am not sure they really read the OP as it doesn't make sense.

OP, I hope she hasn't caught anything, I doubt she will have if you were in a side room.

Andthentherewere2 Fri 28-Mar-14 07:54:34

Thank you all for your posts which helped through a long panicked night! Yes I am bf so hopefully that will help a bit.

It's nearly 24 hours since and she's ok so guess it's just a case of watching and waiting for the next week or so (while banging my head against the wall for not thinking straight)

littleomar Fri 28-Mar-14 08:06:09

I was referred to a&e with 3 day old ds2 with what turned out to be an entirely innocuous rash. Just like you I was terrified he'd caught something terrible from all the germs spluttering around the waiting room (January so lots of them) but he didn't. She'll be fine!

Turquoiseblue Fri 28-Mar-14 08:09:03

My son had cardiac issues and at 5 days old had to go to clinic in a busy children s hospital - outpatients queuing, up to lab, que again for an echo, bloods etc - he was fine. I m sur your little baby will be fine. Congrats on your newbie btw

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Fri 28-Mar-14 08:12:47

Op - your dc will be fine, children with serious illness symptoms are usually taken straight through so wouldn't usually be sat in the waiting area sharing germs.

Are you ok though lovely? I hope I'm not out of line but your worries seem a tiny bit extreme.

Marylou62 Fri 28-Mar-14 08:47:12

OP I had to take my 6 day old to A&E when his sister had an accident. We were there about 4 hours and although in the little room put aside for children, there were lots of sniffly ones and one little boy who obviously had a high temp and was sick whilst I was there. My LO was still ok so please don't worry. Even if they did 'catch' anything they will still be fine. My DD had her first 'virus'?(snotty, temp etc) at only 2 weeks old. And was fine.

Andthentherewere2 Fri 28-Mar-14 11:35:29

It's really good hearing that your DCs didn't catch anything much in the same scenario so thank you.

BobPatSam - was doing fine but this has completely thrown me, I am usually super-cautious with the kids and germs but wasn't thinking clearly enough to just leave. Am blaming myself for putting her at risk which was unnecessary.

RachelWatts Fri 28-Mar-14 11:41:06

I had to take DS1 to A&E for an X-ray when he was less than a day old. He was breathing rapidly and they needed to check his lungs.

He had an infection, which caused the breathing issues, but he didn't catch anything else.

Topaz25 Fri 28-Mar-14 12:33:29

I was really shocked by the venomous responses to secret's post! You can't post anything on here anymore, I thought what she said was thoughtful. She acknowledged the OP will be feeling fragile at 9 days postpartum so I don't see how that could be seen as computer generated when it is a response to the original post.

Topaz25 Fri 28-Mar-14 12:35:26

Also re-reading the OP I see it was a routine blood test but I don't think that was immediately obvious so I can understand secret's response.

Topaz25 Fri 28-Mar-14 12:37:36

OP, you followed medical advice to take her to A&E for the blood test, don't beat yourself up, you did the right thing. You would not have been given that advice if there was a high risk. The hospital will be used to dealing with this situation and took steps to keep her separate. Be kind to yourself, not furious with yourself, you are doing fine.

RainbowSpiral Fri 28-Mar-14 12:38:29

As long as you have enough distance for your little one not to get sneezes or vomited on, then I am not sure there is as much risk as you think of waiting areas. The risks maybe come later if your baby is in a day nursery - then a lot of things pass around.

But I also know how you feel as tiny babies feel so fragile and you want to keep them safe.

FederationPresidentBarryFife Fri 28-Mar-14 12:41:48

OP you seem very anxious in this post. Put this out of your mind, she hasn't caught anything, the odds are stacked against it. Plus she is a breast fed baby which adds immunity. Also, this is 'bracing' advice but: Just be thankful it was a blood test and not something more serious like other babies in that hospital.

As an aside: Bit off to pick on someone's response. Esp as it was totally harmless! You might not have written that but she did so butt out!

FederationPresidentBarryFife Fri 28-Mar-14 12:42:33

that last was to AgentProv et at

Twighlightsparkle Fri 28-Mar-14 13:14:30

I know exactly where you are coming from. My daughter has health issues which mean trips to A and e, and it worries we every time however in the 20+ times we have been she has never caught anything.

Hope you are able to relax now

many hugs

ps Agent , buzz off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now