Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think that everyone has started saying 'however' instead of 'but'?

(31 Posts)
xmasadsboohiss Thu 27-Mar-14 21:52:33

what's with that????

wheretoyougonow Thu 27-Mar-14 21:54:58

As a child I was told 'no more buts!' they said nothing about however wink

withextradinosaurs Thu 27-Mar-14 21:55:24

They've been to the same training course as me, when someone said "everything before the but is bullshit."

xmasadsboohiss Thu 27-Mar-14 21:57:01

so everything after the however is horse shit! i just don't get it.

Hoppinggreen Thu 27-Mar-14 21:59:32

Apparently it's more " positive" language - according to the course I went on ages ago!!

xmasadsboohiss Thu 27-Mar-14 22:03:02

ah that's interesting - a bit like calling problems 'opportunities'. i still prefer 'problems' and 'but'. negative me

DomesticDisgrace Thu 27-Mar-14 22:03:42

Oh my God this is so true!!

SwedishEdith Thu 27-Mar-14 22:06:51

Something can't help you any more either, it has to "inform your thinking"

TwittyMcTwitterson Thu 27-Mar-14 22:09:25

I just say it because it sounds posher and I feel more educated. However, that could just be me. wink

RevoltingPeasant Thu 27-Mar-14 22:15:59

"HOWEVER" IS NOT A CONJUNCTION AND USING IT AS THOUGH IT WERE GIVES YOU RUN-ON SENTENCES WHICH ARE GRAMMATICALLY INCORRECT.

I may have been marking essays recently. This may annoy me slightly.

blush

Buckteethjeff Thu 27-Mar-14 22:17:41

My boss does it all the time - to even just link sentences up. One big massive sentence connected by random howevers.

Bowlersarm Thu 27-Mar-14 22:18:01

Language evolves, it doesn't stand still. I use both, I think.

xmasadsboohiss Thu 27-Mar-14 22:25:15

thanks 'revolting' i knew it sounded wrong - good to have an expert to confirm my prejudices! it sounds to me like someone is reading an essay out loud!

Joysmum Thu 27-Mar-14 23:42:41

I tend to use 'however' when writing and tend to say but when talking.

Nennypops Fri 28-Mar-14 00:27:00

Language evolves, it doesn't stand still. I use both, I think.

But it's probably the world's most pointless evolution. Why write something with seven letters when you could use three? Why say something with three syllables when you could use one?

CheesyBadger Fri 28-Mar-14 00:34:03

Oh god I think I am one of these people... Super self conscious posts from now on!

horsetowater Fri 28-Mar-14 00:34:42

So when do you use however? It used to be quite formal and relatively rare to use it but/however, now it seems that anyone who has a point they really want to get across in a slightly bossy way, says it.

TillyTellTale Fri 28-Mar-14 00:40:21

I've been using 'however' for near on twenty years, though. Will I have to ramp up my use of 'nevertheless' instead?

Joysmum Fri 28-Mar-14 00:48:23

I agree, 'however',to me, is more formal, which is why I tend to use it only when writing.

Toadinthehole Fri 28-Mar-14 06:18:54

I use it all the time, and always have, normally to provide structure in essays.

Simple example: "The 281 will arrive first. However, the 33 is quicker".

Err.. yeah - I suppose I'd not say that - it sounds a bit stoopid.

katese11 Fri 28-Mar-14 07:05:04

That's fine toad! I think the problem is when you use it mid sentence e.g. The house is in need of some repair however it's a great opportunity ( I always imagine it's estate agents that misuse it) That's not discounting its other use, which I believe is grammatical e.g. "I'll get the work done however I can"

katese11 Fri 28-Mar-14 07:05:21

That's fine toad! I think the problem is when you use it mid sentence e.g. The house is in need of some repair however it's a great opportunity ( I always imagine it's estate agents that misuse it) That's not discounting its other use, which I believe is grammatical e.g. "I'll get the work done however I can"

xmasadsboohiss Sun 30-Mar-14 21:52:29

Why write something with seven letters when you could use three? Why say something with three syllables when you could use one?

Exactly! I'm not British but I'm a big fan of plain English.

BertieBotts Sun 30-Mar-14 21:59:05

DH uses it all the time and it drives me potty. I am a language teacher so tend to try and use simple language as much as possible especially when speaking to non native speakers.

He once answered the phone to DS' (German) kindergarten by saying "Ah, no, unfortunately Bertie isn't here, however I am in fact DS' legal guardian, if I can be of any assistance?" then was totally bemused when they said "Uh... is Bertie there??" Told him later he should have just said "No, but I am his father" and they would have been fine confused he ended up texting me to ask me to call them.

He also uses in fact randomly, as referenced in this conversation.

mrsjay Sun 30-Mar-14 22:01:16

However is a positive like you are saying it is OK But i think But is ok too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now