Talk

Advanced search

To write to a zoo about them using the word handicapped on their website??

(22 Posts)
LottieJenkins Thu 27-Mar-14 19:47:48

and how do I word a letter that I want to write to them?
DS2 is as many of you know disabled and I think the word handicapped belongs in the dark ages!

LRDtheFeministDragon Thu 27-Mar-14 19:50:47

No, write to them ... that is a word I rarely see any more and they should know better!

What was the context? (Asking so you can word the letter, not because it changes my view on whether you should!)

BeerTricksPotter Thu 27-Mar-14 19:51:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissDuke Thu 27-Mar-14 19:52:46

I would write to them in a very polite manner, I expect whoever is in charge of the website content has simply missed it and not left it deliberately. It is absolutely worth pointing it out to them though, I would too!

LottieJenkins Thu 27-Mar-14 19:54:15

The wording is "Handicapped groups of any size, registered disabled, and carers, get the concessionary rate"

LRDtheFeministDragon Thu 27-Mar-14 19:54:57

YY, I think what beer says is good. Something like,

Dear [zoo contact person],

I visited today and noticed that on your sign at [details] you use the term 'handicapped' to refer to people with disabilities. I was surprised, as this is outdated terminology and many would find it upsetting to read, so I wanted to let you know how it might be received.'

I mean, zoos have an educational function, don't they, so IMO it is important they don't educate people while using the wrong words.

TeenAndTween Thu 27-Mar-14 19:56:33

While you're writing, could you mention the use of the term Adoption for animals rather than Sponsoring? It keeps annoying me but not enough to actually write.
I've adopted 2 cheeky monkeys already, we don't have another bedroom available for a tiger!

LRDtheFeministDragon Thu 27-Mar-14 19:56:34

Cross post.

How odd. confused

I've no idea what 'handicapped groups' are that make them different from groups of people with registered disabilities. I wonder if they're trying to make some distinction between people with registered disabiltiies and people who're struggling with something but don't have formal notification for it yet?

BeerTricksPotter Thu 27-Mar-14 20:01:34

traviata Thu 27-Mar-14 20:04:52

I suspect they mean people with learning disabilities perhaps? hence the distinction from people with 'registered disabilities'.

LottieJenkins Thu 27-Mar-14 20:05:58

Thanks everyone. I happened to see it on their website when recommending it to someone on here! I have taken ds2 there a couple of times when he was smaller and he loved it!

BeerTricksPotter Thu 27-Mar-14 20:09:42

BertieBotts Thu 27-Mar-14 20:10:29

Is it a UK zoo? In the US handicapped is the accepted term.

DrCoconut Thu 27-Mar-14 20:13:03

We were quite shock at seeing handicapped in use in the US when it is so unacceptable here.

LottieJenkins Thu 27-Mar-14 20:13:03

Very definitely a UK Zoo!!

stuckindamiddle Thu 27-Mar-14 20:15:26

YANBU - they need educating!

Meerka Thu 27-Mar-14 20:23:03

"handicapped" is associated in the UK with incapacity and invalidity ... mental pictures of disabled people who can only receive charity and can't help themselves, which is simply wrong for the majority of disabled people. Also associated with disabled people begging 'cap in hand'.

It's rarely meant badly but the majority of disability groups strongly prefer one of two terms 'disabled people' or 'people with disabilities' (depending on which theory behind the language you hold to).

Its a good idea to write to them and point it out, I reckon. It might help to point out that it's an old and disliked term associated with helplessness and discrimination, also that disabled people's own preferred terms are "disabled people/people with disabilities".

peggyblackett Thu 27-Mar-14 20:24:37

YANBU

It's not Noah's Ark is it?

stuckindamiddle Thu 27-Mar-14 20:24:55

Presumably a zoo has a professional communications person managing their website? If so, refer them to the language guide on disability produced by the National Union of Journalists.

LottieJenkins Thu 27-Mar-14 20:26:59

I am not naming the zoo.

blanchedeveraux Thu 27-Mar-14 20:28:27

It's used all the time in the US, you hear it on the TV programmes made there too. I feel a bit ill every time I hear it.

LeaveYourSisterBe Thu 27-Mar-14 20:32:33

(You don't need to name it. I've just found it through Google.) Write and point it out, I bet they just have no idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now