Talk

Advanced search

microgynon 30 ed tablet

(16 Posts)
theutterend Tue 25-Mar-14 22:52:19

neice confused. she's been given the pill with 3 rows of the active tablets and a row of inactive ones.

does she take the first active pill on the first day of her period or the first inactive one on her first day?

thanks need quick advice.

ACatCalledColin Tue 25-Mar-14 22:56:00

Don't understand what you mean by inactive and active pills, sorry.

ACatCalledColin Tue 25-Mar-14 22:57:41

Do you mean the 'inactive' ones are sugar pills? I know in some countries they give you sugar pills to take during your weeks breakthrough bleeding whereas here we just don't take any pills at all during that week.

In that case I'd imagine it would be the active pills you would take on the first day of your period.

theutterend Tue 25-Mar-14 22:58:12

you take active pill for 21 days and an inactive pill for 7,

fanoftheinvisibleman Tue 25-Mar-14 23:02:09

Yes, 1st active pill on the first day of her period. The inactive pills is when her 7 day break would have been.

ACatCalledColin Tue 25-Mar-14 23:02:22

I see.

In that case it would be the active pill you would start with.

wowfudge Tue 25-Mar-14 23:02:27

Theutterend is right. There is a detailed leaflet in every box so why the confusion? Plus her GP should have briefly explained how to take them. ED stands for every day because you take a pill every day.

wowfudge Tue 25-Mar-14 23:03:29

Now I'm really confused! Why are you asking if you know?

theutterend Tue 25-Mar-14 23:03:39

great so just to confirm as she's making me swear here. the first active pill of the pack on the first day of her period. I.e today?

ACatCalledColin Tue 25-Mar-14 23:04:05

Is taking inactive pills instead of having a 7 day break the norm now then? I only came off microgynon a year ago and I simply didn't take any pills during those 7 days.

Tmrgl Tue 25-Mar-14 23:04:29

from net doctor
Ideally, you should start taking this pill on day one of your menstrual cycle (the first day of your period). This will protect you from pregnancy immediately and you won't need to use any additional methods of contraception.

if it works straight away then you must have to start with active pills

ACatCalledColin Tue 25-Mar-14 23:05:09

the first active pill of the pack on the first day of her period. I.e today?

Yes.

theutterend Tue 25-Mar-14 23:06:00

I am asking for teenage neice so want to be doubly sure. she's got confused I think as she would take the inactive pills on her bleeding days so she thought she started with them.

I see what she means but have corrected her.

theutterend Tue 25-Mar-14 23:06:51

thanks thanks thanks lots. can reassure her now and check she's got it. brilliant mumsnet.

Caitlin17 Tue 25-Mar-14 23:08:17

The 7 inactive pills are there because it makes it easier for people to just take one every day rather than take 21 , none for 7 days and then start again.

Isn't there an instruction leaflet in the packs?

I think you start with the active pills on the first day of your period but it's a long time since I took the pill and it was always the traditional 21 day pack.

theutterend Tue 25-Mar-14 23:20:13

Caitlin yes I was on the pill years ago and had the 7 day break.

think these are supposed to be idiot proof!! ha ha .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now