Advanced search

Aibu, to not pay this guys rent?

(21 Posts)
ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Tue 25-Mar-14 16:57:11

We've sold our house the week of Jan 14, and we were advised that we would have a completion date at the end of Feb as everyone in the chain wanted/needed a quick sale. However it is now coming up to the end of March and we've now been told it's going to go though at the end of April, that's because the person at the bottom of the chain has only just today given 4weeks notice on a rented property so will not complete until that time ends. However he has said that if everyone in the chain pays his rent he will complete this week.
Our issue is that we have moved out and our now paying rent and the mortgage, another month doing this will cripple us. Especially as I've been off work due to illness. We are the top of the chain, some of the people in the chain have already said no to paying this guy rent. We have idea what to do its put us in really difficult place, we could pull out of sale and rent the house out but it would only cover costs so if no one in it we would lose out again, however the house is very desirable so really shouldn't have any issues in renting it.
No family to ask for a short term loan.
What on earth should we do?
Aibu in not paying this guys rent and pulling out of the sale which would mean no one in the chain woukd get their house?

Braganza Tue 25-Mar-14 17:05:25

I say call his bluff. He has paid out survey and solicitors fees which he will lose if you pull out. He's trying it on. Just check with your estate agents whether you are liable to pay their fees on exchange or on completion though. What is the housing market like where you are? Could you threaten to raise the price if he delays another 4 weeks?

Fairenuff Tue 25-Mar-14 17:06:03

Why can't everyone in the chain wait four weeks?

2sugarsmeans3 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:06:12

Aw that's awful I'm really sorry. If you can't lend the money to pay his rent, and you can't cover another month of mortgage and rent, then maybe make this clear to your buyers to see if they can stump up the cash to save their house purchase from you? I think honesty with them is the best policy.
It's so difficult for all of you though. Would you really be able to rent out the house straight away though?

2sugarsmeans3 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:07:28

Sorry I didn't word that well. Hope you understood it!

dinkystinky Tue 25-Mar-14 17:08:48

He's trying it on ! Call his bluff

ivykaty44 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:09:47

We had similar but our mortgage ran out on 6 of the following month as everything had taken so long, we said if that's the case we will have to wait another two months whilst it is all sorted out

Suddenly everything moved and we moved in on the 6 of the month

Thing is they don't realise other people are all so shelling out money etc and they only think about themselves, until they are shown there actions may backfire and effect them

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Tue 25-Mar-14 17:12:46

There are about 5 us in this chain, the rent would be split between us who are willing to pay it. The person who is buying our house needs to move asap as well as her house isn't suitable for her disabled daughter and is effecting her health. So its not just money, we are already 4 weeks behind anther 4 weeks would make it 8 weeks behind.
As to renting out our house we've had a few enquires when it went up for sale, ie people knocking on the door asking to rent it.
The housing market is very good our house has gone up by £1000 since Jan and a big development down the road is due to finish this spring g which will bump up the sale price as well.

overmydeadbody Tue 25-Mar-14 17:13:15

No don't pay his rent.

Groovee Tue 25-Mar-14 17:15:40

I'd call his bluff and tell him he needs to pay your mortgage!

ENormaSnob Tue 25-Mar-14 17:19:03

No i wouldnt pay.

Cheeky fucker.

Fairenuff Tue 25-Mar-14 17:29:07

No don't pay his rent. If it's a choice between 4 weeks or losing a sale/purchase and all the associated costs going down the drain, then most people would choose to wait 4 weeks.

But make it clear that if he stalls any longer, you are out.

Nomama Tue 25-Mar-14 17:59:32

Your reply should be as Groovee has said.

"We will not pay your rent, but would like you to pay our extra mortgage payment if we have to wait another month. Do I take it the move in date stands?"

Everyone who is renting when they buy has to balance the rent/mortgage thing. He should have done his homework better. The extra month is definitely his to swallow - we will be in the same position shortly, so I am not being unfair.

Tell the agent/your solicitor, contact anyone else in the chain that you know, you can usually pass messages up and down the whole chain in a day. Get everyone to agree to wait for 4 weeks if necessary. But don't pay the cheeky feckers rent.

Exchange NOW, completion in 4 weeks gives everyone a nice ling time to pack.

specialsubject Tue 25-Mar-14 18:14:27

sounds like you don't have exchange yet if the completion dates aren't fixed. Everyone needs to exchange.

tell him where to go, that you want exchange tomorrow and completion is...when you want it as I'm a bit confused!

CrazyOldCatLady Tue 25-Mar-14 18:35:10

He's a chancer. He wouldn't get a penny from me!

Musicaltheatremum Tue 25-Mar-14 19:04:02

Oh how complicated it is in England. We don't have chains in Scotland. Seems much easier. Good luck OP.

MrsSparkles Tue 25-Mar-14 19:29:23

Def don't pay it - it's how the cookie crumbles. We're in the middle of a 6 week overlap between completing and our rental finishing, not ideal but it's one of those things. If the rest of you know when you want to complete go with that, and if he pulls out he pulls out.

On the plus it's the ideal time for getting any work done - if they're planning to - maybe point that out?

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Wed 26-Mar-14 18:18:39

Had some good news the agent that is dealing with us is also dealing with another 2 of the sales (small town) and bless them are going to lower their fees so no one has to pay any extra and to keep the chain going. So this guy now his rent paid, cheeky sod but fingers crossed it will be done with and dusted with by friday

spindlyspindler Wed 26-Mar-14 18:36:15

Excellent. I was going to say just do whatever costs you less money - if paying your mortgage and rent another month was cheaper do that, if paying his rent to complete faster was cheaper then do that - but you've got yourself a very nice estate agent by the sounds of it so congratulations smile

kicksandgiggles Wed 26-Mar-14 19:04:37

I was going to say, call his bluff, as if he has given his notice, he may find himself with nowhere to live if his purchase collapses. I can understand why he waited so late to give notice, as the completion date is so often a moving target and he probably didn't want to end up temporarily homeless, but it should be him who absorbs the financial implications of his own living arrangements, not everyone else. He would probably be out of pocket more if his purchase collapsed than if he was the one having to pay both rent and mortgage that month.

This happened to us; we were living in temporary rental accommodation and still paying the mortgage on the property we were selling, and our flat required two months' notice, so we had to put that in before a firm completion date had been set. We still ended up having to pay a month's rent on the temporary place and a month of mortgage on the new place, but wouldn't have dreamed of asking the other party to pick up the rent or jeopardising the sale at that stage (as it had taken quite some time to get there).

ShinyTurd Wed 26-Mar-14 21:46:16

If I have understood this correctly, he is basically trying to blackmail you all shock. Very tough one though tbh as there is no way of knowing whether he would really pull out so close to the end as he would lose money, fees etc. Not sure what to advise, sorry but hope it works out ok thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: