Talk

Advanced search

To Ask A Parent To Turn Down A Child's Electronic Device?

(10 Posts)
SquidgeOps Tue 25-Mar-14 15:48:43

In supermarket cafe just now. Sat 3 tables away from 4 year old who was playing the most irritating game at full blast. The mum and a friend were sat at the same table nattering. This went on for the 15 minutes I was sat there. I then went and did my shopping and could here the racket a couple of aisles away.

Very tempted to say sth but walked away instead. Has happened before and have said sth which was well received.

CoffeeTea103 Tue 25-Mar-14 15:49:40

Yanbu. You should have said something. Very irritating indeed.

OlympiaFox Tue 25-Mar-14 16:19:14

You should have told them to stop being so rude and turn it down, if it didn't go off immediately, you should have made a complaint to the manager. People only behave like this because nobody challenges them.

wonderingsoul Tue 25-Mar-14 16:21:52

ohh its the same with people who play with thier ringtones..

its just wrong on so many levels!

MrsPear Tue 25-Mar-14 16:26:23

I agree it is annoying. That is why ds1 who wears aids has given up asking to watch stuff on my phone when we are out.

WaitMonkey Tue 25-Mar-14 16:52:35

YANBU. Though I probably wouldn't have said anything.

edwinbear Tue 25-Mar-14 16:57:18

There was a woman on the bus with a 4/5 yr old hammering away at a game on some device at full blast a few weeks ago. The woman was chatting on the phone and said to whoever she was talking to 'yes, that's X playing a game you can hear, the whole bus can hear actually but I don't really care, as long as it's keeping X quiet I don't care if it bothers anyone else'. Nice. YANBU.

withextradinosaurs Tue 25-Mar-14 17:25:06

Maybe you could have bought some headphones and handed them over!

amicissimma Tue 25-Mar-14 17:38:28

MrsPear, have you seen these 'loop' earhooks? They actually work.

LucySnoweShouldRelax Tue 25-Mar-14 17:54:14

I asked a couple to turn off the sound on the iPad their child was playing with at the place where I work. In their defense, they were lovely about it, and where I work has high ceilings and annoying acoustics and any noise like that really travels. I've said it to adults watching videos and stuff on their phones as well, people just don't realise how abrasive those tinny electronic noises can be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now