Talk

Advanced search

Re calpol in 2mo

(12 Posts)
Anydrinkwilldo Tue 25-Mar-14 13:28:46

Ds2 has caught man flu a cold from ds1. He's 2 months old. He won't sleep for more than 20 minutes and when awake wants to be carried or feeding. He screams like he's in pain every so often. I know he's still quite young but do you think it would be ok to give him a small amount of calpol. I'm having mammy guilts

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Tue 25-Mar-14 13:30:35

Has he had his 8 week jabs? They say you can give a small dose after those so tbh I'd give one 2.5ml dose over a longer than usual period. From memory I think the sachets of proper calpol used to say 2months but the bottle said 3.

ICanSeeTheSun Tue 25-Mar-14 13:31:08

CALPOL® Infant Suspension contains Paracetamol, can be used in infants from 2 months old (weighing over 4kg and not premature).

Follow the correct dose.

Goldmandra Tue 25-Mar-14 13:33:23

I would take him to the GP first, just to be on the safe side because he's so tiny. The GP will advise you on how best to administer Calpol.

Anydrinkwilldo Tue 25-Mar-14 13:42:27

Have GP appointment for tomorrow. He doesn't have his jabs-due to get them this week but have to put them off for the cold. I'm going to give it my heart is breaking for him, he's so cross sad. Thanks for your advice, I need take pain relief really so I'm afraid to give it to the ds's

ICanSeeTheSun Tue 25-Mar-14 13:45:49

Before doing anything call nhs direct or your GP

Ghostsdonttalk Tue 25-Mar-14 13:51:11

Calpol is available to buy for babys 3 months and over and also for post immunisation pyrexia (temperature) in 2 months olds.

For babies younger than three months old it is considered a prescription only medicine ie you can only give for jabs unless you have a GP advice to give it for a different reason.

Beanymonster Tue 25-Mar-14 13:59:30

Not sure if it's relevant, but if there is snot, babies can't breath very well through their mouths.. So he is probably crying to breathe as opposed to feeling rubbish?

Bellyshelf Tue 25-Mar-14 14:12:32

Give your GP a ring first. DS is 3wo and has a cold, the GP prescribed Calpol for his temperature but the dose prior to has to be worked out by weight when they're below the age limits on the bottle - for DS this was 2ml, twice a day, for no more than three days in a row.

Saline drops and a nasal aspirator are good for clearing a stuffy nose (and its oddly satisfying when you manage to suck out a big one.....)

Lucylouby Tue 25-Mar-14 14:20:33

I'm also going to say I would speak to the gp before giving calpol for a cold in such a tiny baby. We used saline drops to help baby breathe at that age, i think I had them in a spray form, made baby scream, but they would then manage a good feed and be a bit happier. You can buy them over the counter rather than wait to see the doctor. Maybe go to the pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist, see what they say if you don't want to wait to see the gp tomorrow.

IdaClair Tue 25-Mar-14 14:28:58

Have you got a snot sucker?

I wouldn't give anything to a baby that young. Dc2 had a cold at 2 weeks and snot sucker was the way forward. That and the usual steam, eucalyptus, lots of milk,try feeding him upright with head tilted back, almost siting on your knee facing you with your hand supporting his neck as he feeds, but be prepared for constant unlatching as he breaks off to breathe.

I suspect calpol wouldn't do much anyway. Just time and keeping airways clear.

Disclaimer I do not like calpol for babies at all as I have read the ingredients list.

DoJo Tue 25-Mar-14 14:44:10

Which of the ingredients concerns you IdaClair?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now