Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

aibu in wanting my GP surgery to have somewhere to change babies?

(16 Posts)
judgejudithjudy Mon 24-Mar-14 20:43:02

GP surgery covers a large area & a 10 minute drive from my house. dd had done a poo & i had to change her on the floor in the walkway (couldnt change her in the car incase ds was called in). there are two tiny toilets but no disability toilet or changing area. aibu?

guineapig2014 Mon 24-Mar-14 20:45:04

Yes yanbu very poor. I'd complain if I were you shock

Weegiemum Mon 24-Mar-14 20:48:28

Should at least have a pull-down table in the loo.

They might be breaking some regulations not to (I'll check as my dh is a GP I know he has a facility!)

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 24-Mar-14 20:49:30

I thought all public buildings had to have disabled toilets to follow the DDA.

Musicaltheatremum Mon 24-Mar-14 20:50:49

It depends on the age of the surgery. Many are old premises which are not fit for purpose but there is no money to improve them or to build new ones. Some surgeries are really cramped for space too. Not enough consulting rooms. So you can complain but maybe there was no alternative.

EverythingsDozy Mon 24-Mar-14 20:54:23

It is the same at my surgery, also covers a large area so you'd expect more than one tiny toilet with a questionable lock!! We can ask to go into the patient registration room where there is a changing mat and some toys. The receptionists keep an eye out for who is called in so will let you know if your name comes up. Is there no where like this in your surgery?

candycoatedwaterdrops Mon 24-Mar-14 20:56:33

Might there be somewhere else to go but you have to ask?

ShadowFall Mon 24-Mar-14 20:56:38

YANBU.

I'm more surprised at lack of disabled toilet though - I would have assumed that they'd be legally obliged to provide a disabled toilet?

CrohnicallyChanging Mon 24-Mar-14 20:57:19

Our surgery is also large and covers a wide area. We have one toilet that is accessible and has a pull down change table. You would think that they would take out the two toilets to fit one accessible- that's what they did at my workplace.

quietbatperson Tue 25-Mar-14 13:19:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grennie Tue 25-Mar-14 13:23:43

Our surgery doesn't have one or a disabled toilet either. Buildings only need to have a disabled toilet if they can reasonably accomodate one. Some old buildings because of planning regulations, etc, simply can not.

NurseyWursey Tue 25-Mar-14 14:15:30

YANBU

some of the GP's surgeries around here are very old though and like grennie said can't accommodate them. Which doesn't help you much!

sam86 Tue 25-Mar-14 14:48:30

I mentioned it to my GP after having to change my sons nappy on the little travel mat I had in my change bag, on th toilet floor. They now have a pull down change table so it is worth mentioning it, or put it in the suggestions box if they have one?

They won't put bins in the toilet though as they said they don't get emptied daily so have to take nappy home with us.

Nomama Tue 25-Mar-14 16:06:37

Mine only has one large disabled loo.

It is for everyone and includes a changing table.

thegreylady Tue 25-Mar-14 16:29:46

Sounds a bit like a swap shop where you can change your baby for a different one smile

Musicaltheatremum Tue 25-Mar-14 16:37:19

Oh yes, please don't leave dirty nappies. We thought we had a toilet block until we discovered someone had put a dirty nappy in the sanitary bins which only get emptied once every few weeks.
You can only have accessible toilets if the building allows for it. We built our surgery 13 years ago and don't have a lift which we would have to have now.(no patients upstairs but would need it to comply these days in case disabled worker) we are now desperate for the health board to expand our premises but there is no money to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now