Advanced search

To think they should make the change with no charge?

(8 Posts)
superlambanana Mon 24-Mar-14 18:47:05

Having a reasonably big extension done at the moment which architect is project managing. We've been very impressed with both the builder and the architect so far - everything on time, done well, no unnecessary mess or inconsiderate workmen.

I was chatting to the builder last Friday and he asked me in a sort of 'by the way' fashion if the windows would be as they were on the drawings. I said I wasn't sure, as we hadn't discussed it with the architect and I didn't know what he'd drawn (architect said we could make decisions on things as we went along), and that I'd check. He said he was ordering them 'soon' (didn't say when).

Went through the window configurations with architect on Friday and altered a lot - not sizes, just which ones would open and whether they'd be small or large openings. I was very definite about these, having had burglars come through open windows in the past!

Architect told us today that the windows had been manufactured last week so couldn't be changed. AIBU to think that either the builder should have told us he was ordering them - given that in our last conversation I said I didn't know what they'd be like - and/or that the architect project managing should have told us by when we needed to make a decision, and that we should be able to change them without charge? I've no wish to fall out with them, especially as they've been great up to now, but I do feel they've gone ahead without asking us!

superlambanana Mon 24-Mar-14 18:56:58

Sorry, that was longer than I'd intended!!

mymiraclebubba Mon 24-Mar-14 19:05:57

I would have thought those sort of key decisions should have been made at the point you signed off on the architects drawings. If you have it in your contact with the architect that you could sort things as you went along then he should be footing the bill if he didn't discuss with you

Rauma Mon 24-Mar-14 19:38:00

Sorry not the builders fault, he'll have ordered as-is to ensure the project kept on schedule as he's the first to get the blame when it isn't. Architect should have had you make this decision weeks ago and as a customer who presumably wants this finished on time and to budget, you should realise it takes weeks or months to manufacture windows.

Clients making this sorry of mistake is what pushes up costs..

Joules68 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:40:01

Your responsibility to tell them in the first place..... Not at this late stage!

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 24-Mar-14 20:25:01

The thing is the windows would had been made specifically for order. If the cap is to wide perhaps get window restrictors

That way if it wide opening windows you can have them wide open while using the room and use the restrictors when leaving the room.

drnoitall Mon 24-Mar-14 20:25:30

Looks like someone has made a bit of an "assumption" but won't own up. If you don't take the windows it will cause delay and cost more.
Your next move depends on if you want to compromise on either of the above.
IME I'd keep the windows locked when necessary and keep to schedule.

superlambanana Mon 24-Mar-14 22:23:07

Thanks. It's the first time we've done anything like this so perhaps we were a bit naive, but that's why we asked the architect to project manage - we've said all along to please let us know when we need to make decisions about things as we want to be as cooperative as possible. I honestly didn't realise that when we were saying we were happy with the plans we were talking about those details - we thought it was for the layout, position of windows and doors, sizes of walls etc. I think the architect should have kept a closer eye on the project though and should be aware of the timelines - it's really hard to know when you have no experience, despite having researched as much as possible!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: