Talk

Advanced search

To not understand when people they've name changed or they might out themselves?

(19 Posts)
pyjamaramadrama Mon 24-Mar-14 14:57:10

I can understand name changing and changing your ds to a dd or other personal details.

But sometimes posters are describing a very specific set of circumstances such as something a teacher has said or a row with a neighbour.

Surely if the person is reading they'll know it's about them regardless of whether they can look up your mumsnet history.

TravelinColour Mon 24-Mar-14 14:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 24-Mar-14 14:59:11

Yus, but if I want to post about something that makes me identifiable, I don'twwant the others to know my normal posting name on here and give them accesss to that anonymity.

WorraLiberty Mon 24-Mar-14 14:59:17

Yes, it's to prevent their posting history being read by that person.

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 24-Mar-14 15:01:29

Obviously of you're posting about a situation which clearly, if the other involved saw MN would identify you, then you've already done the risk assessment that you don't care that they know you're posting online about it. Iykwim?

pyjamaramadrama Mon 24-Mar-14 15:02:55

Ah I see.

I'm now shaking my head at myself in a wasn't that obvious sort of way.

The penny has dropped.

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 24-Mar-14 15:04:15

If I was posting something that identifies me to rl friends I may not want them to know how I keep my lady garden if that were the sort of thread I contributed to.

That's all it is really.

pyjamaramadrama Mon 24-Mar-14 15:07:16

So they don't mind the teacher knowing that they've pissed them off.

But don't want the teacher then knowing that they wash/don't wash their fanjo before sex, or whatever else they've posted.

blush

pyjamaramadrama Mon 24-Mar-14 15:08:10

Cross post.

lesbican Mon 24-Mar-14 15:09:40

If I was posting something that identifies me to rl friends I may not want them to know how I keep my lady garden if that were the sort of thread I contributed to

pmsl

Birdsgottafly Mon 24-Mar-14 15:10:15

I have read posts that have been very similar to my life events.

I have looked up the poster and found that I couldn't know them.

I am open about where I live etc, so I don't agree that you would recognise yourself from a thread, just by the scenario given.

I can identify with many parking/bus/neighbour etc threads, but they live no where near me, iyswim (as well as previous posting issues).

pyjamaramadrama Mon 24-Mar-14 15:12:43

That's true I suppose bus.

Someone posted about a work situation recently which was almost identical to mine, I was thinking shit I hope my boss doesn't read that and think it's me.

daisychain01 Mon 24-Mar-14 15:14:25

I can identify with many parking/bus/neighbour etc threads, but they live no where near me

Me too.

It just goes to show how much we all get wound up by similar sorts of things in life <nods philosophically>

MardyBra Mon 24-Mar-14 15:36:03

I am mardy for general stuff. I have another (less frequent) posting name for stuff which I know will out me.

mrsjay Mon 24-Mar-14 15:51:34

what i don't like if poster who say i have namechanged i am a regular blah blah and they go on to be downright prattish about something I always want to say dont NC love let us all know what a prat you are grin apart from that I can see why folk namechange

kim147 Mon 24-Mar-14 15:53:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 24-Mar-14 16:49:17

how do you look at poster history?

if someones nc'd then they want to stay nc'd, not be identified as another nn?

EurotrashGirl Mon 24-Mar-14 16:59:16

I understand why people name change, but I don't understand why they announce the fact that they have done it.

Kikithecat Mon 24-Mar-14 17:05:31

I think that's so they don't get accused of trolling (cause obviously only a first time poster would do that! confused)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now