Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to put off telling my GP I am pregnant ?

(34 Posts)
mythical Sun 23-Mar-14 22:24:40

Last pregnancy I called up at 6 weeks and after the receptionist INSISTING I cannot book a midwife appt unless I spoke to a doctor I was told (by said doctor) "oh but you are so early. I guess we can book the appointment for you and you can always cancel if you're not pregnant by that time. 1 in 3 pregnancies end up in a miscarriage anyway." I spent the 20 min walk home bawling my eyes out.

I'm being ignorant this time (got bfp yesterday) and I just want to know if I'm being an idiot. But just thinking about it makes me extremely anxious shock

Goldmandra Sun 23-Mar-14 22:27:31

YABU if you ever go to that GP again!

Can't you find a better one?

mythical Sun 23-Mar-14 22:29:48

I don't live in the area anymore so it will be a different one but it has just put me off so much. Am I able to bypass the GP and book straight with the midwife do you think?

creampie Sun 23-Mar-14 22:30:41

We can bypass the gp here and go straight to the midwife. You need to go early here, I left it til 8 weeks last time and the earliest appointment she had was when I was 11+ weeks and so my 12 week scan wasn't until nearly 14 weeks

CailinDana Sun 23-Mar-14 22:30:42

You need to put in a complaint about that horrible GP. I contacted the mw direct for my last pregnancy. You might be able to do that. Switch GPs whatever you do though.

Sallyingforth Sun 23-Mar-14 22:31:08

mythical That is awful! I'm afraid I can't advise you on this but I had to say how sorry I am for the distress the GP caused you. It must have been a male doctor!

ImperialBlether Sun 23-Mar-14 22:31:58

My doctor said to me, "i'd say congratulations, but really this is just a late period."

However, I will say to you, congratulations!

Chasdingle Sun 23-Mar-14 22:32:01

at my docs you book straight on with the midwife you don't have to see a doctor first. I don' think you have the first appointment till about 10 weeks though (whenever it is they take the first bloods) but i rang up about 4 weeks before and made the appointment.

ProlificPenguin Sun 23-Mar-14 22:32:09

In the UK the standard advice is to book an appointment for when you are ten weeks pregnant with the midwife, I know people turned away earlier too. If any symptoms or worries before that then ask to see a GP. Don't give the receptionist the reason for GP appointment?

ICanSeeTheSun Sun 23-Mar-14 22:33:12

On both of my pregnancy I rang my GP spoke the receptionist who asked if I planned to continue the pregnancy. I said yes and she put me on the MW list.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Sun 23-Mar-14 22:34:51

Are there any nice GPs at your surgery? Or how about a Nurse Practitioner? Surely a Nurse Practitioner can look at a pregnancy test and refer you?
YANBU to not want to see that GP again, it was a horrible thing to say to a patient.
I guess there is nothing to stop you ringing the Midwife led team and asking them directly for an appointment explaining why you don't want to see your GP, but they may say they need a GP.

Pigletin Sun 23-Mar-14 22:35:11

You can self refer to your nearest maternity hospital. Call them and ask what the procedure is. Some hospitals have this information on their website. The GP does't really do anything except refer you to the hospital anyway. I wouldn't delay calling the hospital though as some get booked really quickly (I'm in London and this seems to be the case with the better hospitals here).

JuniperHeartwand Sun 23-Mar-14 22:36:33

Have you checked your hospital website? For both of mine (different hospitals) I self-referred to the midwife team via a form on their website, didn't bother the GP. So yanbu.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Sun 23-Mar-14 22:38:44

Just read your second post OP.
I have never had a nasty comment from a GP when announcing a pregnancy. Both GPs just said "are we happy about the news?" I replied yes, and they said "well congratulations, on your way out book in for your midwife appointment at 9 weeks."
I think you just got a tactless GP last time.

Goldmandra Sun 23-Mar-14 22:38:58

I'm glad you won't be going back to that one, OP.

You clearly can bypass your GP but it would probably be a good idea to see them. You probably just need to find out that the new one isn't a heartless b*****d and you'll feel better.

Purplepoodle Sun 23-Mar-14 22:42:12

My gp does a pregnacy test then refers to mw at 11 weeks.

Loopylouu Sun 23-Mar-14 22:47:04

In my area you book in yourself with the midwives at the hospital.

I've not seen a GP at all, never contacted them.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 23-Mar-14 22:52:07

Both times the GP has referred to the mw, so maybe it depends where you live.

They don't routinely test you again, shop bought tests are just as accurate. Both times the GP was lovely. Some are so insensitive, I don't know why.

This time I've got medical problems so I had to go via the GP.

bouquetofpencils Sun 23-Mar-14 22:52:38

Congratulations!

I was in hospital with hyperemesis at 8wks pregnant, before I had seen a midwife. Appointment was booked for when I was 9weeks.

This meant I had no green notes which caused all kind of confusion for the hospital.

Luckily I had already told my gp at 6 weeks so when I couldn't stop being sick she saw me straight away and got me admitted for a drip to rehydrate me/anti sick meds.

Staff can be so blunt. At my first midwife appointment at 9weeks (clutching a sick bowl) I was instructed not to be sick in the basin in the room, and as I have a hearing loss I asked her to look at me when talking so I could lip read her and she replied "well I can't look up when I am writing can I?". I complained and my next appointment it was a different member of staff.

Good luck, hope you get somebody lovely.

mythical Sun 23-Mar-14 22:55:42

Contact us

Just found out you are pregnant?

If you have just found out you are pregnant and don't know who your Midwife is, either contact your GP or your local Midwives on the numbers below:

Our Community Midwives are available Monday-Friday 8:30am to 5:30am and they will be able to tell you the name of your Midwife and arrange an initial appointment.

Took the numbers out for privacy reasons

Sounds like I could just give them a call directly ?

MrChow Sun 23-Mar-14 22:58:47

GP like to see you so they can be paid.

You should just be able to self refer to the mw, call your local community mw office.

ICanSeeTheSun Sun 23-Mar-14 23:08:56

I think it silly to have to go to a GP to get a MW appoinment. There are people who need that slot because they are unwell.

I understand if people are problems in early pregnancy such as HG need to see a doctor.

mythical Sun 23-Mar-14 23:10:34

Unfortunately in some areas you cannot bypass the GP at all. I am hoping I can x

divegirl77 Mon 24-Mar-14 08:28:32

Bullshit about GPs needing to see you to get paid!

However it is incredibly helpful to your GP if they know you are pregnant not only if you have any problems but also as things like flu/pertussis jabs are done by them rather than midwives and if they don't know you're pregnant they won't get in touch to arrange them.

Gen35 Mon 24-Mar-14 08:39:00

Blimey I had my booking appt by 8.5 wks and phoned midwives (on advice of gp surgery) an hour after doing the test. I had my scan booked on that day too. Get it all booked and cancel later. That gp was an idiot...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now