Talk

Advanced search

'Are you alright with your packing?' Aibu?

(31 Posts)
CaptainTripps Sun 23-Mar-14 21:29:37

It wrong-foots me as I try to figure out how to answer.

I reply 'No'. They think that means 'No I don't want help'.
I say 'Yes'. They think that means 'Yes I am ok with the packing'.

It should be: 'Can I help you with your packing?'

If I do want help, I end up saying 'oooh yeah. I'd love a bit of help...' to be really clear.

But is it an intentional ploy on the part of the checkout operator? Cos they all seem to do it.

NiaceGuidelines Sun 23-Mar-14 21:34:32

Where I shop they just sweep everything through the checkout straight into the adjacent trolley. If you try and 'pack' your shopping you get told to go and do it in the packing area..

help with your packing?

how the other half live grin

EverythingsDozy Sun 23-Mar-14 21:36:08

"Yeah I'm alright thanks".
Less words? "Yeah fine thanks".
Less words? "Yeah fine".
I suppose you could say just "fine" but may come across as a bit rude! grin

CaptainTripps Sun 23-Mar-14 21:36:12

Tesco innit!

cwtchontoast Sun 23-Mar-14 21:37:57

"I'm fine, thank you"
or
"I'd love some help, cheers."
Usually work for me.

LovelyJubblies Sun 23-Mar-14 21:43:51

I say that. After 9 hours of asking customers if they need help it gets a little tiresome.
A simple 'Im ok, thank you or 'no, some help would be nice'' is enough of an answer.
Really its not that difficult.
If you don't want to be bothered by an illiterate thicko like a checkout operator either use self scan or scan as you pack.

Pipbin Sun 23-Mar-14 21:47:18

I shop online and let someone else pack it.

As Jubblies said, talk to the person earning MW on the check out and say, 'I'd love some help'. A bit of friendliness can make a difference to your day in a job like that. I know, I've had them.

ReallyTired Sun 23-Mar-14 22:04:14

lol..

Last year my arm was in plaster with a broken thumb and I still got the question "are you alright with your packing?" a few times. I found it hilerous.

CaptainTripps Sun 23-Mar-14 22:07:08

If you don't want to be bothered by an illiterate thicko like a checkout operator either use self scan or scan as you pack.

Are you serious? Is that what you believe I people think? How shockingly rude!

Won't use / don't use self scan on principle. Saving real peoples' jobs and all that.

ReallyTired Sun 23-Mar-14 22:09:44

There are checkout operators who have or studying for degrees. I don't know any checkout operators who are illerate or thick.

MyDHhasnomemory Sun 23-Mar-14 22:13:42

I think Lovelyjubblies is trying to make the point, as a checkout person, that some customers treat checkout people with that assumption.

drnoitall Sun 23-Mar-14 22:28:44

What I find really bloody irritating is the carrier bag opening technique tesco do, that and the "do you need bags?"
Errrr no, I'm going to put a weekly shop in my pocket....
Yes yes I know reuseables, I do use those.... But in Aldi and lidl.

haveyougotanyleechesforthis Sun 23-Mar-14 22:33:38

i always say... it depends how fast you are....they then take the hint and dont throw things at me at lightening speed... some of them think they are on supermarket sweep...

i mean... ive carefully stored it in my trolley so the delicates dont get squashed, then i've ordered it on the conveyor so that everything goes in the right bags.... the least you can do is give me a fighting chance to get the stuff in the bags, before you chuck stuff on top.

hiddenhome Sun 23-Mar-14 23:03:26

I hate them asking this. They've seen me putting it onto the belt ready to go through the checkout, so why would I need help packing it at the other end?

treesntrees Sun 23-Mar-14 23:17:03

I always feel slightly irritated when the checkout person asks me if I want a bag then ignores my 'No thankyou I've got a shopping trolley'. Wilkinsons seems to be the worse for this.

Topaz25 Sun 23-Mar-14 23:19:26

Hiddenhome, they have to ask and will get in trouble if they don't.

JonSnowIsAProperLover Sun 23-Mar-14 23:19:59

Just fall to your knees, sob hysterically and wail,

"Nooooo, I can't pack! I can't cope."

Bit dramatic but it would be worth it to see their confused hmm face.

wink

Or shop online/use the self service tills. Is easier since shopping has become this mad social ettiquette labrynith no one can possibly navigate.

noblegiraffe Sun 23-Mar-14 23:26:08

I idly looked at the till in Asda the other day and it had a note stuck to it with 'ways to reduce plastic bag consumption'
No fluffing of bags
Only give a minimum of bags
Ask if they need bags
Have no bags on display

So you can forgive them for asking about bags.

hiddenhome Sun 23-Mar-14 23:27:27

I know they have to ask, but it still gets on my nerves.

They also start chucking the stuff through really quickly and I immediately regret not asking them to pack for me grin

MissBattleaxe Sun 23-Mar-14 23:29:52

Don't be annoyed with the checkout operators, they have to ask. I'm a mystery shopper and believe me, they have to ask.

Oh and LuvelyJubblies IS a checkout operator, she wasn't slating them, she was being sarcastic to the OP.

JonSnowIsAProperLover Sun 23-Mar-14 23:32:03

Once I was struggling after an operation on my hand.

Tesco asked if I'd like help packing. I said, "Ooo, yes ^please!"

She rang a little bell.

I waited.

And I waited.

And I waited.

Yes, I packed it myself.

hmm

Seriously, why ask? They expect you to say no. They don't hire staff to float about packing bags.

RedSoloCup Sun 23-Mar-14 23:42:34

Really, why can't the checkout operator 'help with the packing'?

I just pack for the customers as I go, and I'm very careful with apples etc, nothing worse than bruised fruit, crushed bread or broken eggs....

noblegiraffe Sun 23-Mar-14 23:49:41

I would hate someone else packing for me. Once they did it and there were maybe 3 items in each of a billion bags.

I've got my systems, my food all lined up on the belt in order. Anyone else would just get it all wrong!

CalamityKate Mon 24-Mar-14 00:12:46

I usually say "I should be ok but feel free to join in if I start to look panicky!"

Lagos Mon 24-Mar-14 00:34:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now