Talk

Advanced search

To just delete this text from MIL

(18 Posts)
AnyCraic Sun 23-Mar-14 11:26:50

Just received this stupid chain text from MIL:

"To an awesome loving Mummy who has such a busy life and thru all of that she makes extra special effort to b loving and a good caring Mummy. I just nominated u for the Prettiest and God loving Mum Award. You must send to 7 mums and make their day. I'm also waiting! Sometimes u just need to hear it...You're a beautiful mum doing a great job and you're so loved! Hit 7mums who put their kids 1st! <3 <3:"

I don't do chain texts anyway but this one really annoyed me. This woman sees me twice a year and knows next to nothing about what type of mother I am!

Also the "I'm also waiting" bit - she doesn't call her own son (including on birthdays) or her grand kids. And yes, we do call her every few weeks so it's not as though she couldn't make an effort to mark special occasions. So no, I don't think she'll be getting praise for being such a "loving and caring Mummy".

Aargh I know I should ignore but part of me wants to reply and paraphrase some of my reasons for not reciprocating. I guess it's only on MN that people do those things tho!

So AIBU to delete it without reply? What would you do?

Groovee Sun 23-Mar-14 11:27:44

Just delete and forget about it.

Nojustalurker Sun 23-Mar-14 11:28:49

I would always delete a chain text without reply. They are thoughtless and a waste of time.

EatShitDerek Sun 23-Mar-14 11:28:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CassCade Sun 23-Mar-14 11:29:44

Delete it without reply - if she asks, innocently pretend you never got it. I detest chain-letter texts, emails, 'pass on to everyone you know's: hate them.

They really affect people who are scared of bad consequences and the instruction to pass on makes you feel guilty.
Have no qualms. Don't do it!!!

Sukebind Sun 23-Mar-14 11:30:27

Delete and deny all knowledge. Chain letters and texts are annoying at best and frightening at worst.

NigellasDealer Sun 23-Mar-14 11:30:34

delete and go for quiet vomit

iwouldgoouttonight Sun 23-Mar-14 11:32:01

Prettiest and God loving Mum Award?? Vomit.

If I'd received it from my mil I'd love to write back with some witty reply but in reality I'd just delete it.

rockybalboa Sun 23-Mar-14 11:32:28

Delete. What a load of guff.

Flossiechops Sun 23-Mar-14 11:32:57

I got sent this too from a relative - I deleted it, load of crap!

AnyCraic Sun 23-Mar-14 11:35:38

Yeah I wasn't even sure what the God loving thing meant! Thanks for the reassurance. I was sorely tempted to reply "Think you got the wrong person!" Or something a lot wittier...

SnookyPooky Sun 23-Mar-14 11:36:35

Yeah I always delete shit like that.

MrsCosmopilite Sun 23-Mar-14 11:38:09

I delete all such nonsensical texts. Fortunately I get on well with my MIL and she knows I'd vomit if I received it.

Nennypops Sun 23-Mar-14 11:39:33

Don't worry about the "I'm also waiting" bit. It's just part of the original stupid chain message, I doubt that she thought about it before sending it out. Delete it.

maras2 Sun 23-Mar-14 11:48:01

Bleurgh. Thank Christ my lovely MIL can't use any technology as that's the sort of shit that she thinks is great .

Nomama Sun 23-Mar-14 12:30:08

If she is waiting simply send it back to her, 7 times grin

Imnotmadeofeyes Sun 23-Mar-14 13:59:34

Jesus wept, most of us have more technology held in our hands than NASA had to get three men to the moon and back and we use it to send each other flakey shite like that. Who the frick writes that drivel? angry

I hate that shite - ignore, ignore, ignore grin

OnlyLovers Sun 23-Mar-14 14:11:11

Delete and, if she mentions it (which I suspect she won't), just say 'I never read chain texts or emails.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now