Talk

Advanced search

to charge my workplace for taking the laundry home to wash?

(25 Posts)
insancerre Sun 23-Mar-14 09:37:22

I work in a very small nursery and we have no washing machine so it is expected that the manager takes the washing home and washes it.
We are talking tea towels, dressing up clothes, children's clothes that have been left when wet or soiled, rugs, etc.
So the manager is off and rather than leave the washing festering at work, I've brought it home to wash.
I think it is damn cheeky to expect us to do this, so I intend to present a bill for a load of clean washing on Monday.
How much is the going rate for a load at the launderette?

GertTheFlirt Sun 23-Mar-14 09:39:45

Were you asked or did you decided to take it? If the manager is off, who is expecting you to do it?

In all honesty, you either do it out of goodwill, or you make your working life difficult with no access to clean and dry items next week. It's not a regular thing.

Bluestocking Sun 23-Mar-14 09:39:53

Why don't you take it to the launderette for a service wash, then you will (a) not have to deal with it and (b) have a receipt so they can reimburse you?

AnUnearthlyChild Sun 23-Mar-14 09:43:21

You can claim tax back for this I think

insancerre Sun 23-Mar-14 09:44:53

I asked me to do it, as I am standing in for the manager grin
I just don't want to be taken advantage of.
I can't take it to the launderette as I don't drive and it would take too long to walk.

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 23-Mar-14 09:47:05

I wouldn't bother, how much will it really cost you, a pound for the electric and some laundry detergent?

Marcipex Sun 23-Mar-14 09:48:54

I am expected to do this too, on my tiny wages. If I don't take my turn it causes unpleasantness from management.

My issue is the items soiled or urinated on, if it's clinical waste on a nappy and we can't even put it in an ordinary bin, why should I have to put it in my washing machine?

Nomama Sun 23-Mar-14 09:50:18

You can claim tax back for it.

Your manager probably does.

soaccidentprone Sun 23-Mar-14 09:51:18

I took my duvet to the laundrette the other day. It cost £5 for a wash and £2.40 to dry, plus the cost of detergent etc.

Service washes are more than this though.

Tbh I would just suck up the cost myself as doing it at home costs a pound or something. Depends on how well you get on with your employer though.

insancerre Sun 23-Mar-14 09:51:56

I doubt my manager does claim tax back, she is just too nice.
Me, i'm just mardy.

Lucylouby Sun 23-Mar-14 09:56:57

I've had this from a nursery. Expecting extras like this, while paying a pittance. Ime nursery owners and management will take advantage of staff because they know staff can be replaced. I reckon the owner will ask why you took the washing if you weren't happy to wash it in the first place.

HannerHet Sun 23-Mar-14 09:57:01

I wouldn't 'present a bill', but I would maybe question if you are getting reimbursed for it. The managers where I work used to take tea towels home to wash. They used to buy a box of those washing machine tablets from petty cash and take some home if they were doing the wash.
Obviously this only covers part of the cost, but maybe a suggestion you could make?

insancerre Sun 23-Mar-14 10:01:28

I have raised the question of washing bedding with the owner. She said she would pay for a service wash. That seemed like too much hassle, so instead we asked parents to supply their own bedding for their child to use, which works well as they take it home to wash and children are not sharing bedding.
I like the idea of the washing tablets- I might suggest that, thanks, HannerHet.

ICanSeeTheSun Sun 23-Mar-14 10:07:50

I take it you are the assistant manager, so if it's the manager job to do this then as an assistant manager then to me it is part of your job.

Cockadoodledooo Sun 23-Mar-14 10:54:11

YABU not to send the soiled/wet clothes home in a bag with the child they belong to - as a parent I expect this, no idea why people would expect a nursery to do this for them?

Bunging a load of teatowels through once a week wouldn't vex me.

Has anybody ever asked the manager if she's happy with the set up, or was it just assumed of her too?

Marcipex Sun 23-Mar-14 10:57:00

It's soiled or wet nursery cushions and dressing up clothes that are my problem. Not allowed to ask parents to wash them, nowhere to wash them other than the painting sink, but I don't want it in my machine at home either.

spongebob13 Sun 23-Mar-14 11:00:25

OP if its a one off I think its a bit mean to present a bill. by all means say you did it and say you presume its a one off or you would have to be reimbursed.

Marcipex was it part of your job role from the beginning that you would be doing this?

SirChenjin Sun 23-Mar-14 11:01:00

I wouldn't be happy to doing this. I work for the NHS - we're not expected to take patient's laundry home. Isn't there some sort of H&S surrounding this - how do they ensure you're laundering it correctly?

It's your electricity, time and detergent - the nursery is taking the proverbial if they are not reimbursing you. Can you claim back through a tax return (although that's a faff) or agree some laundry 'mileage' charge for staff?

Ronmione Sun 23-Mar-14 11:01:50

This sort of thing really pisses me off, why on earth should staff have to deal with doing the nursing washing!

Why should they have to have other childrens shit tumbling round their washing machine.

You all need to stand together, ask the owner to either wash it thenselves, buy an washer/ dryer or someone takes it to the laundrette (during work time) or it doesn't get done.

Marcipex Sun 23-Mar-14 11:04:02

No, sponge bob, it wasn't mentioned at interview, but I don't have a written contact although I've been there years it has never been sorted.

A rota was put up one day as a done deal I suppose.

Tea towels don't bother me, it's the soiled things that do..

I don't know what other places do, the ones I previously worked in had laundry facilities.

spongebob13 Sun 23-Mar-14 11:10:44

yeah I see your point about soiled items. not on! I guess I pictured one bag of maybe few tea towels and maybe few tshirts and a cot sheet or something .. obviously I am way off. definitely needs to be addressed.

Preciousbane Sun 23-Mar-14 11:17:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marcipex Sun 23-Mar-14 11:21:32

I don't get a fiver, I don't get anything, including any thanks! It's not just the cost, tea towels shouldn't be in the same wash with soiled clothing etc anyway IMO. So it's more than one load.

I'm on nearly min wage too.

pixiepotter Sun 23-Mar-14 11:43:22

I didn't know 'service washes' existed outside of EastEnders.Seriously if you don't live in a big city there will be likely be no such places.I doubt I live within 30 miles of a lauderette

hoobypickypicky Sun 23-Mar-14 11:47:38

"My issue is the items soiled or urinated on, if it's clinical waste on a nappy and we can't even put it in an ordinary bin, why should I have to put it in my washing machine?"

I'd agree with you. If I were you or the OP I'd compromise and offer to wash towels, tea towels etc but refuse to wash soiled/urinated on items. What's the worst they can do? Call you a fussy, precious cow? Big deal, you wouldn't be alone! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now