Talk

Advanced search

What would you do if your 15 year old came home from a friends and said he'd watched The Human Caterpiller film?

(116 Posts)
AnnieMaybe Sat 22-Mar-14 21:44:29

As far as I know this film is some sort of horrible horror torture film

Ds2 is 16 in June and thinks he was old enough to watch it.

I'm annoyed but am I overreacting? Teenage years are hard

JonSnowKnowsNothing Sat 22-Mar-14 21:46:55

LOL

JuniperTisane Sat 22-Mar-14 21:47:10

I don't have a 15 year old I think I would be a bit annoyed but not enough to do more than shrug my shoulders. If I think back to all the shite I watched as a teenager, it never did me much harm really.

EdithWeston Sat 22-Mar-14 21:49:32

No, not overreacting. I've not seen the film, but have heard it's pretty foul.

As yo are discovering, you cannot always stop teens doing something. But you can get them to think about their choices and help them develop the moral and ethical framework in which they make them. Now, maybe you won't succeed in inculcating your values and standards, but you can show your disapproval, explain why, and hope some of it sticks and counterbalances peer pressure.

wideon Sat 22-Mar-14 21:49:46

It's a shite film and many less controversial films are probably a lot "worse"
Btw it's centipede lol

AnnieMaybe Sat 22-Mar-14 21:50:29

why LOL jonsnow?

mineofuselessinformation Sat 22-Mar-14 21:50:38

Can't see all of your title (on my phone) but if you're talking about the human caterpillar, dd asked me to watch it with her (she was 18 at the time). I felt it was really rather sick and that there was nothing meritable(sp?) in it. I made her turn it off.
I got the idea from her that it was 'the done thing' to have watched it.
Have you asked him what he thought of it?

juneybean Sat 22-Mar-14 21:50:51

Oh I read the title as hungry caterpillar and couldn't work out why a 15 year old was watching it.

SolidGoldBrass Sat 22-Mar-14 21:51:09

Erm, it's probably the Human Centipede rather than caterpillar. (Banish all thoughts of the Very Hungry Caterpillar from your mind...)

It's a spectacularly gross and stupid horror film. Your DS and his mates probably howled with laughter when they weren't threatening to puke on each other. It's unlikely to have done them any harm. I don't see what you have to be annoyed about.

Caitlin17 Sat 22-Mar-14 21:51:18

I have not seen it but from all reviews it is a vile premise but I suspect it is so ridiculously bad and nonsensical it will not traumatise a 15 year old.

usualsuspectt Sat 22-Mar-14 21:51:53

I wouldn't really be annoyed.

It's a crap film, but it's pretty typical for 15 year olds to watch crap horror films.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Sat 22-Mar-14 21:52:44

Yes sorry, my LOL was a bit childish - I also confused your title with the Very Hungry Caterpillar.

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Sat 22-Mar-14 21:53:40

The Very Hungry Human Centipillar.

Could be a new crossover?

mrsbug Sat 22-Mar-14 21:53:44

It's the human centipede and it's very silly. Not ideal viewing but I have seen far worse.

ThatBloodyWoman Sat 22-Mar-14 21:53:56

I would think 'what's done is done' tbh, and probably just have a few words about choices and expectations in a trying to be a responsible parent sort of a way......

andsmile Sat 22-Mar-14 21:54:30

I loved horror films as a teen, they allow safe exploration of the darker side of human nature - talk to him about it

sooperdooper Sat 22-Mar-14 21:54:47

If he called it that I'd assume he was trying to be cool but failing massively since he's got the name wrong!

I watched worse when I was that age (dodgy copy of Animal Farm, god knows why anyone at my school had it!?) but in the long run it's done me no harm whatsoever

andsmile Sat 22-Mar-14 21:54:59

yew the first time he moves his bowels though omg.

londonrach Sat 22-Mar-14 21:55:21

Am I the only one who read it was the hungry caterpillar in the title and thinking it might be nice for my niece and nephew age 5 and age 2. Think I need to go to spec savers.....

GreenLandsOfHome Sat 22-Mar-14 21:55:39

It would be the last time my 15 year old visited that friend for a while tbh.

The human centipede is a disgusting film. Horror, human torture, the most twisted and disgusting film I have ever seen. We got not half way through (didn't realised quite what it was as it was a copy so no bumf on the back) and switched it off. It made me feel physically sick.

I am NOT a prude when it comes to films at all. I have a very lenient attitude towards age guidelines, and let mine watch films that are a few years 'too old' as long as i've vetted them first. I enjoy horror films.

But the human centipede is in a league of its own.

cafecito Sat 22-Mar-14 21:55:47

I would shrug and give out a list of really good horror films instead
he's nearly 16. 10, I would be less impressed

LessMissAbs Sat 22-Mar-14 21:56:40

Its not really that bad or that graphic. Its more the concept, but its done in a sort of Germanic/Continental black humour genre verging on the absurd (the grave of the dog!) which takes the edge off it. Something like The Shining I think is worse.

EdithWeston Sat 22-Mar-14 21:57:33

Yes, Animal Farm went round when I was in my teens, or at least loads of people claimed they had seen it. The one who said it was horribly fascinating, but not remotely erotic, may be the only one who really has seen it. My parents would have been utterly horrified had they known about it.

usualsuspectt Sat 22-Mar-14 21:57:57

He just wouldn't tell you next time, GreenLandsOfHome

cafecito Sat 22-Mar-14 21:58:20

why did he tell you though? is he trying to get a reaction? is he a bit messed up by it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now