Talk

Advanced search

...to want to just walk without pain!

(47 Posts)
Icantstopeatinglol Sat 22-Mar-14 20:15:59

I'vw got arthritis and I've now got inflammation in my right foot so bad it's agony and I'm struggling to walk. I'm 36 with 2 small kids so not good at all. I think I have a tailors bunion just to top it off!
Don't know what to do?! I'm between consultants cos didn't feel my last one was listening to me so now I'm off drugs (apart from anti inflammatries) with no support at all sad
Anyone else been through this? Am I best going to gp or chase the hospital?

agedknees Sat 22-Mar-14 20:33:13

YANBU. Arthritis sucks. I would go to your gp and have him/her chase up your referral or do a new referral to a consultant.

Can't add anything more but I can sympathise.

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 22-Mar-14 20:38:59

Thanks agedknees...like the name ha!
Think I'll ring gp Monday if I can still walk! Rang rheumatology on Friday and the woman I spoke to said if I'm poorly go to the 'walk in centre'!?? Like they can help! I've got codeine and tramadol, that's all they'd give me. I think I need a foot X-ray to see what's going on.

HicDraconis Sat 22-Mar-14 20:48:21

A foot X-ray isn't going to show much information if it's soft tissue inflammation / arthritis you're struggling with. It'll show no fractures but without a trauma history there's no reason to suspect fractures.

You'd be better off with an MRI if you think your foot needs imaging.

Anti inflammatories are probably better for arthritis than opioids like codeine and tramadol, but within that group are lots of choice so it's worth making sure you're on something that works for you. There are also lots of newer drugs for arthritis (well, new for where I work but suspect not so new in the UK) which can work wonders, definitely get a referral sorted out.

Losthearts Sat 22-Mar-14 20:48:38

flowers

Purplefrogshoes Sat 22-Mar-14 20:52:08

I sympathise, I have it in my hip but my consultant is very good, I can call his secretary and she gets me an urgent appointment. I think you should go back to your gp and get him to chase them up, are you on the new anti inflam drugs? I found a change to these really helped

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 22-Mar-14 20:55:45

Hi hic I'm on etodolac already for my arthritis so can't take anymore anti inflammatries. Sorry should have said. The reason I'm thinking X-Ray is cos I suspect the inflammation etc has aggravated a tailors bunion which is causing me a lot of pain. Added to that plantar fasciitis in the other foot and things are hard work to say the least.
I've had a year of sulfasalazine and methotrexate with no help and I've asked to change consultants as I feel another clinic are better equipped to deal with my various issues so I'm currently in limbo and don't know who to go to with my current problems sad

innisglas Sat 22-Mar-14 21:34:41

A neighbour of mine stopped the progress of her arthritis using naturopath medicine. She is 81 now and became a naturopath forty odd years ago. You can see that she had very bad arthritis because her fingers are knarled but she never complains about and she would if she had reason to.
I hope that is useful as I live in Mexico and I don't know what access there is to naturopathy where you live.

NurseyWursey Sat 22-Mar-14 21:37:36

I hope you get some adequate medication soon, my patients with artheritis tell me it's deeply painful. thanks

Go to your GP XX

spongebob13 Sat 22-Mar-14 21:40:25

I'm 33 and have arthritis and take injections for it. the pain in my back, hands, feet and shoulders every day is chronic. I am hoping these injections will kick in soon. I feel for you I really do. was hobbling like a lil old lady in Tesco earlier n limping. its horrible. I really sympathise.

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 22-Mar-14 21:41:12

Feels weird saying this but thanks nurseywursey ha! Yea it can be very painful but frustrating more than anything! I'm young(ish) and I just want to exercise, run round with my kids etc! Is that to much to ask? I don't care that I can't wear heels etc (ok I do a bit but hey ho), I just want to be able to be 'normal' sad

NurseyWursey Sat 22-Mar-14 21:43:02

It's not too much to ask at all, and I think many people seem to think artheritis is just something that comes with age an should be put up with. It's not especially as it's having an impact on your life! Be assertive and hopefully you'll get what you need. X

pancakesfortea Sat 22-Mar-14 21:43:29

No advice I'm afraid but lots of sympathy from here. I'm 38 with two small kids and some days I feel about 85. Fortunately the methotrexate does a good job for me - not perfect but I can get on with life.

I hope you find some relief soon.

rootypig Sat 22-Mar-14 21:46:00

thanks OP, I have advanced osteoarthritis in my hip, am 30 with a toddler DD. sometimes I could cry to think about walking without pain or discomfort, it's such a perfect fantasy, and yet I see people doing it everywhere. It's been so long I can't remember or imagine how it feels, which makes me sad too. Mostly I get on with it, I bet you do too, but some days are overwhelming agony, and with DC you can't stop and rest. it's hard to be a good parent while in pain. I've had evenings sobbing, unable to move, after long days of lifting and carrying DD.

Just wanted you to know you're not alone x

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 22-Mar-14 21:48:27

I've rang the hospital 3 times last wk chasing my referral but keep getting told nothings on the system or they're short on secretary's or they're waiting for the new consultant to look at the letter to decide when to see me. I understand it's not an instant thing but I'm in pain?!
I'm going to spk to my gp Monday I think, failing that I'll get onto PALS. I nearly cried on Friday when the woman in outpatients said to go to the walk in centre if I was 'poorly'! I wish it was that simple!!!

NurseyWursey Sat 22-Mar-14 21:50:07

sad

I there any chance at all of you going private? I know it's expensive so a lot of us can't afford it. Hate the thought of you having to suffer with this pain.

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 22-Mar-14 21:53:40

Ah thank you rootypig and pancakes, I've got tears in my eyes just thinking someone might understand! It's hard for other people to comprehend what we're going through and it's not their fault but I do feel like most the time people just get bored if I even mention it.
Methotrexate kind of worked but I was left feeling ill for days afterwards. Felt hungover, constant mouth ulcers, my hair was snapping and my periods stopped! Felt like shit basically.....tho now I can't walk! Just hoping the other meds might help sad

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 22-Mar-14 21:55:31

nurseywursey I've actually got private healthcare through work but the one I saw referred me to the nhs cos he couldn't monitor my bloods as he'd retired and only had a clinic 1 afternoon per wk?

NurseyWursey Sat 22-Mar-14 21:58:59

That's no good is it! Surely there's another doctor? That's ridiculous in fact. What's the point of having it!

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 22-Mar-14 22:03:18

nurseywursey I know! Seems ridiculous doesn't it! Then that dr referred me to his pal who I also think is close to retirement so see him every 6 months! When he put me on methotrexate he shoved a leaflet at me then said the nurses would explain it all.
I do want to go to this new clinic cos the young consultant I saw when I initially went for scans etc and he's so enthusiastic about his job and I think that's exactly what I need. I'm hoping I get sorted this wk.

NurseyWursey Sat 22-Mar-14 22:06:32

Oh well that sounds much better! If you go keep us updated smile good luck thanks

rootypig Sat 22-Mar-14 22:20:14

No idea about the drug therapies as I have a different form, OP, but hope you get something sorted. Ime the treatment of chronic conditions really fails to take into account the toll on the patient of going round and round the system.... Gather your strength to push for proper treatment, though you shouldn't have to. Enthusiastic young guy sounds great smile

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 22-Mar-14 22:20:16

I will, thank you. Feel like a total whinge but I just want to get on as normal and at the minute I can't.
Couldn't even go out with the kids in the garden today cos the cold hurt my hands too much.
I'll update next wk x

NurseyWursey Sat 22-Mar-14 22:21:54

It's not a whinge at all you're fully entitled to want to be able to do day to day activities without pain. Okay OP good luck

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 22-Mar-14 22:23:22

Thanks rootypig you're right. I'm being referred to rheumatology then a gastroenterology and an ophthalmologist for my stomach and eyes when I know it's all the same thing. It's so frustrating! I feel like I'm wasting their time and I don't know who to turn to!
I know I'm going to cry once I get my initial appointment with the new consultants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now