Talk

Advanced search

to now know what "trendy, leftish, hippyish" teaching methods are - even though I am a teacher?

(89 Posts)
kim147 Sat 22-Mar-14 15:56:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nojustalurker Sat 22-Mar-14 15:58:29

May ask a member of 'the blob'. If you are unsure who they are Gove will point you in the right direction.

peanutbutterhoney Sat 22-Mar-14 15:58:52

What??? Where was this? Where do I sign up for lefty hippyish teaching for my children as opposed to Right wing fascist teaching?

Shallishanti Sat 22-Mar-14 15:59:41

groups
children talking to each other
anything that's not maths and english
actually, even some of maths and english
anything where children's opinions are valued and there is no right answer

hth

soverylucky Sat 22-Mar-14 16:02:04

noblegiraffe Sat 22-Mar-14 16:02:28

I think he means child-centred learning where kids are left to figure stuff out for themselves.

But then spoon-feeding them what they need to know to pass their exams is apparently bad too.

kim147 Sat 22-Mar-14 16:03:35

edamsavestheday Sat 22-Mar-14 16:04:13

Give is an area and Wilshaw is an area too. Entertaining when they fell out though. HTH

Goblinchild Sat 22-Mar-14 16:07:18

Me. That would be me. grin
Where you give the child time and space to really grok the experience, allowing them to explore and understand and have new thoughts.
Multisensory, not always a predictable path.
Where grading and measuring them against the norm is an afterthought.
Where not every learning experience matches your LO and SC.

We camouflage ourselves a lot, and are good at riding the waves of new initiatives for a surprising amount of time. Children tend to remember many of our lessons years later with enjoyment.
I am a hippy, lefty teacher. However, not trendy ATM. But I believe that what I teach has value, and that's enough.

Finola1step Sat 22-Mar-14 16:07:58

I know where they are. They are sat at home on a lovely Saturday afternoon catching up on their marking and planning. Ignoring their own dc. or catching up with mn in my case because I am recovering from a visit from the big O

Oops. My mistake. I thought you meant bloody hardworking, committed teachers who are trying everything to help the pupils in their care. Trendy, leftish, hippy?

A very conveniently timed attack on the profession just before a NUT strike day.

lionheart Sat 22-Mar-14 16:08:15

Teaching based on decades of research.
Teaching based on decades of experience from generations of teachers.
Teaching which attends to the diffferent ways children can learn.
Teaching which is child-centred.
Teaching which is open, honest, non-regimented.
Teaching which encourages exploration, debate, discussion.

Or a more regimental Grove top down approach which disregards much, if not all of the above.

OrangeMochaFrappucino Sat 22-Mar-14 16:12:16

I am so confused. They have been pushing child-centred learning for ages! Don't tell me they are going to backtrack again and we will have to reinvent bloody everything for the millionth time! I wish they would stop looking for this universal single way to teach that we have to then apply to all of our lessons regardless of subject or type of student and just trust our professional judgement to do our job effectively without this constant hoop-jumping!

HesterShaw Sat 22-Mar-14 16:14:22

Group work.
Anything to do with mixed ability groups/pairings
Anything outside or remotely creative
Anything involving a bit of noise and mess

I could go on

Nojustalurker Sat 22-Mar-14 16:21:30

And here was me thinking Ofsted had only just realised guidelines saying that they did not want to see particular types of teaching methods as long as they worked.

Oh wait they did!

Why can't education and politics be separated? That way we can't just get on with the teaching and learning stuff.

JimmyJaz Sat 22-Mar-14 16:25:35

Anything that doesn't involve the kane and blackboards.

stargirl1701 Sat 22-Mar-14 16:26:15

Everything teachers do in Scotland gringringrin

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 22-Mar-14 16:26:23

I'm sure that once they figure it out they will tell us and change it again.

lionheart Sat 22-Mar-14 16:33:07

There are some things politicians should stay out of, that's for sure, Nojustalurker.

bochead Sat 22-Mar-14 18:32:51

Even better why do professional educators have to abide by the totally unqualified opinions of a bunch of very narrow minded politicians who don't even KNOW what they don't know about the science of learning?

Why can't we base state education on the best that evidence based practice and genuine academic research has to offer instead? Noone would allow a politician to man the controls of a nuclear power station, but we unthinkingly allow them to dictate the outcomes of our children.

Be honest - would you trust Gove to mind your toddler alone for a weekend? Labour and it's nanny state over parental choices for all did no better either.

AndreasVesalius Sat 22-Mar-14 18:39:09

I heard Wilshaw on the Today programme complaining that the thing that upset him about the DfE briefing against him was that they'd called him 'child centred'. Now I am a lefty, but honestly if you are involved in education surely it is exactly what you should be?

rollonthesummer Sat 22-Mar-14 18:39:42

What the hell else should education be other than child-centred?!

Tiger-centred, perhaps?

emmaliz Sat 22-Mar-14 18:41:33

Wilshaw is like Mrs Trunchball. The scary thing is he is real sad sad

Jumpthedart Sat 22-Mar-14 19:01:45

this school gets outstanding from ofsted

Totally brilliant school that meets the children's needs, all the teachers are amazing.

No bullying, very happy children who want to learn, being taught by people who are very creative.

We would massively improve education if we got rid of large schools, and had lots of small ones.

Jumpthedart Sat 22-Mar-14 19:05:49

this approach really works

Marylou2 Sat 22-Mar-14 19:12:28

Inclusion valued over academic success. Mixed ability groups. Encouraging creativity. Smells of hummus and carrys copy of the Guardian?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now