Talk

Advanced search

to not get pregnancy hormones excuse.

(50 Posts)
ICanSeeTheSun Sat 22-Mar-14 00:25:54

Please can someone explain in simple terms why this is acceptable.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 22-Mar-14 00:28:15

Excuse for what?

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 22-Mar-14 00:29:45

like it may be my hormones speaking

wobblyweebles Sat 22-Mar-14 00:32:33

I don't get PMT myself, but it doesn't mean no one else can get it. Pregnancy hormones on the other hand were often overwhelming.

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Mar-14 00:33:19

It's not an excuse, I really didn't think in a rational way some of the time when I was pregnant.

Like going out for 30 odd mins to pick up DD1 from school when I was pregnant with DD2 and leaving the chicken cooking (thankfully on low) on the stove shock

I'm not scatty at all and had never left anything on to burn before or since. Poor dog cowering in the corner of the kitchen when I got back, she knew something wasn't quite right grin It was the thick smoke that gave it away.

Do you have children OP?

What made you post the thread?

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 22-Mar-14 00:39:16

Lots of pregnant women do get tense or cross or weepy when normally they wouldn't.

I once walked to Safeway to buy bread walked home forgot the bread,repeated that action 3 times so spent the next hour crying.

Normally I would not cry over bread.

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 22-Mar-14 00:42:47

Maybe because nobody pointed it out to me

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 22-Mar-14 00:44:50

I have 2 children btw

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Mar-14 00:47:00

Because nobody pointed out that hormones can fuck with your head?

Why would they?

Are you pregnant at the minute or has someone said it to you?

TheTerribleBaroness Sat 22-Mar-14 00:48:36

Because sometimes, when you are pregnant, the hormones fuck so totally with your brain that you really don't know what you are doing.
A bit like committing a crime but then being found to be of diminished responsibility.

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Mar-14 00:48:44

'Normally I would not cry over bread.'

That would make an 'Overheard on the bus' comedy gold grin

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 22-Mar-14 00:50:11

oh god not pregnant, as i said I do not get it.

TheTerribleBaroness Sat 22-Mar-14 00:50:53

We need more information. What has somebody said or done, to whom, and who is pregnant?

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 22-Mar-14 00:53:05

I want better understanding, when i was pregnant i had hyperemesis gravidarum and all i did was sleep, be sick and more sleep.

TheTerribleBaroness Sat 22-Mar-14 00:57:13

But lots of people don't 'get' HG. They just tell you to eat a ginger biscuit and get a grip on yourself. People are all affected differently.

OlympiaFox Sat 22-Mar-14 00:57:37

It's not an excuse, it's a matter of fact that hormone changes affect mood. I developed empathy when pregnant, I never in my life had a feeling or sense of concern about anyone/thing, suddenly I was crying at the 'cruelty' of parents giving out to their naughty children, a picture in the paper of a sad looking gorilla, sad news items, movies..... Bizarre. I also became more aggressive, the thought of anyone harming my baby, anybody else's baby, a puppy etc... would send me into a rage.

Magmar Sat 22-Mar-14 00:58:55

When I was pregnant I put my washing in the oven and turned it on.

I flushed the toilet instead of going for shower and cried because I obviously couldn't do both hmm

DH forgot to bring me a cauliflower home so I cried for 3 hours then went to put on Family Guy and it had started an hour early and I'd missed an episode. It was like the world had ended.

Pregnancy hormones are awful. It happens to many women whether you "get it" or not.

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 22-Mar-14 01:03:19

Really hope i have not offended anyone in this post.

TheTerribleBaroness Sat 22-Mar-14 01:04:35

I'm not offended. smile

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Mar-14 01:05:20

If you want to see what hormones can do to a someone's mood just come round and watch my 13 YO DD for an hour look at what adolescence can do to what was a previously lovely, friendly, compliant child.

Or the menopause.

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Mar-14 01:06:06

I'm not offended either...but then I'm not pregnant grin

TillyTellTale Sat 22-Mar-14 01:08:18

Hormones affect people differently. I didn't have any emotional effects during pregnancy, but I spent most of the time throwing up until week 18, and towards the end I ended being hospitalised for a rare condition (less than 1% of pregnant women) caused by an overload of hormones.

Oh, and on hormonal contraception, I have morning sickness.

Minshu Sat 22-Mar-14 01:08:40

I used to cry at the sight of small babies confused

Piscivorus Sat 22-Mar-14 01:13:11

My friend put her DH's shoes in the freezer and a packet of frozen peas on the shoerack. He hobbled into work the next day! grin

TillyTellTale Sat 22-Mar-14 01:14:55

Oh, and I've had depression twice in my life so far. Each time, it began while I was using hormonal contraception, and it lifted a few weeks after I stopped. I don't know it was those hormones. There were other, positive, events that coincided with me stopping the pill, and that could have been what dragged me out of the hole.

Or maybe the pills so far didn't give me depression on their own, but worked together with other events to cause depression. Maybe I became better the second time because I suspected (wrongly) that it was the pill, and thus enjoyed the placebo effect.

But I'm definitely sure the morning sickness was due to the pill and mini-pill.

So, y'know, kind of inclining towards sticking with condoms for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now