Talk

Advanced search

To think that you dont go visit people two days after you were discharged after major surgery? ( sort of lighthearted)

(33 Posts)
Quinteszilla Fri 21-Mar-14 23:40:22

So, my friend suggested lunch/dinner a few weeks ago, but as dh was away and her dh and my dh get on like a whole neighbourhood on fire, we decided to postpone until dh was back from India.

The arrangement is that they are coming for lunch tomorrow. I decided to experiment, and will cook a mahooooosive tortilla, a Spanish potato omelette, with salad, and with American broccoli salad and a gigantic New York cheesecake with raspberries on top. She is pregnant with their second.

He was discharged from major surgery yesterday evening, according to facebook, having his appendix removed, not keyhole, but the traditional way.

I have had my appendix removed. Dh has had his appendix removed, equally ds1. We know what this is like.

She is insisting they are still coming.

So, I have six broccolis in my fridge (thank you Ocado, I only needed 3) and I am not sure it is wise of him to come. She said "oh it is fine, he has been asleep since he got out of hospital and I am driving".

Hello. I love them both dearly. They are awesome. But I am worried that they are more keen to honour their invitation, than let him rest. sad He is my sons superstar, in fact he is the only Olympian we know, and he share my ds2s sport, so they usually spend hours together doing gymnastics. I am so worried that they are going to start doing gymnastics together, while he is 2 days post op!

And, not only that, I have 4 pints of buffalo milk in my fridge, which I think is going to make tomorrows breakfast interesting.

As you were.

hic.

pookamoo Fri 21-Mar-14 23:43:35

Just LOLed at this. I know that's not very MN but still.

It will be fine or they will cancel last minute. Then you have a LOT of broc to eat!

Goldmandra Fri 21-Mar-14 23:45:17

I got married 9 days after the same op and that was hard enough.

Even travelling in the car may be painful after 2 days.

Can't you just phone and say you aren't taking no for an answer and want to arrange another date?

Quinteszilla Fri 21-Mar-14 23:47:27

I dont even like Broccoli. (Love broccoli salad though)

ScarletLady02 Fri 21-Mar-14 23:49:37

Make some quiche...broccoli quiche is Ah-Maz-ING!

redcaryellowcar Fri 21-Mar-14 23:49:50

In an attempt to offload the broccoli, could you offer to take lubcg ti their house, seems risky suggesting you postpone with all that broccoli hanging in the balance!?

Goldmandra Fri 21-Mar-14 23:49:53

Broccoli salad?

As in raw broccoli?

What do you put with it?

scarletforya Fri 21-Mar-14 23:50:28

With that menu I'd drag myself off my death bed! Yum.

Quinteszilla Fri 21-Mar-14 23:50:30

I remember crossing the street 14 days after that op, and that was a nightmare as I was only half way across, when the lights turned red, and I was walking bent forward like a 90 year old.

I cant tell them not to come, that would be uninviting them. I have said to her "look, if he wakes up tomorrow morning and does not feel up to it, let me know and we will reschedule for next weekend."

pancakedayiscoming Fri 21-Mar-14 23:50:36

What's your recipe for the salad?

Martorana Fri 21-Mar-14 23:51:18

Can you post the recipe for the American broccoli salad, please?

[unenlightened self interest emoticon]

Martorana Fri 21-Mar-14 23:52:24

grin Great minds..........

Quinteszilla Fri 21-Mar-14 23:53:43

Broccoli salad (yes as in raw broccoli)

2 Broccolis cut into small florets, forget the stem
6 rashes of bacon, fried crispy, cut into pieces with scissors
2 tubs of creme fraiche (or creme fraiche mixed with mayo)
2 ts sugar
2 ts white wine vinegar
1 1/2 dl sesame seeds
1 1/2 dl raisins
1 1/2 dl pine kernels (yeah yeah, I know they are recalled due to toxic chinese imports so will do without)

It sounds like yuck, but is totally yum

ScarletLady02 Fri 21-Mar-14 23:55:08

Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen...

Quinteszilla Fri 21-Mar-14 23:56:43

Well, that would be the last thing he needs. sad

And, dh has suggested he drive to Winchester tomorrow for some Ducati event, and he promises to be back by noon. hmm Yeah right.

Goldmandra Fri 21-Mar-14 23:56:44

Thank you.

I've copied and pasted. We eat lots of raw cauliflower, cabbage, mushrooms, etc but haven't tried broccoli before.

Now I know why I can't find pine kernels in the shops as well.

A double education smile

Quinteszilla Fri 21-Mar-14 23:58:27

apparently, the toxic pine kernels caused an illness in the mouth that made all food and drink unpalatable for 9-12 weeks, giving a strange metallic taste...

the toxic pine kernels caused an illness in the mouth that made all food and drink unpalatable for 9-12 weeks, giving a strange metallic taste...

I had that four freaking times. Well, I had the same symptoms. Turned out to be a baby each time though.

WaitMonkey Sat 22-Mar-14 00:37:11

Raw broccoli. envy

AlarmOnSnooze Sat 22-Mar-14 00:43:46

flowers for the broccoli salad recipe.

a friend of mine (sadly have lost touch) used to make this, and I loved it.

now I can give it a go myself.

hope tomorrow works out ok, whatever happens.

crabb Sat 22-Mar-14 00:53:49

Quint, what measure is a 'dl'? (Thick emoticon).

Quinteszilla Sat 22-Mar-14 01:04:03

Deci liter , not sure what good is in oz.

JadziaSnax Sat 22-Mar-14 01:09:03

About 3 fl oz (ish)

JadziaSnax Sat 22-Mar-14 01:11:13

Raw broccoli is delicious, especially dipped in hummus or garlic & herb Philadelphia. Hope your friend is on the mend Quint, I wouldn't want to go any further than my bed after a major op like that.

crabb Sat 22-Mar-14 02:01:03

Thanks! 1.5dl = 150 ml.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now