Talk

Advanced search

To think 3 is too young to go on a residential?

(29 Posts)
citruslemon Fri 21-Mar-14 23:26:24

Friend's daughter is 3 and at full time nursery. All the kids are going away for a two day residential trip, spending the night away from home.

I know I can be slightly pfb about my DD so wanted to see if others on here thought 3 was too young to be away from home without parents? I can't pinpoint why I wouldn't be comfortable with it, but I just would!

MarvellousMabel Fri 21-Mar-14 23:27:32

In the UK?

Never heard of this

Way too young

cheepsskram Fri 21-Mar-14 23:27:49

Without a parent? I've never heard of that before! My child would not be going.

sandyballs Fri 21-Mar-14 23:27:53

3!! No way, what is the point?

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Fri 21-Mar-14 23:28:10

Yanbu, I really can't see the point in this, surely it's only going to upset the 3 yr old?

notapizzaeater Fri 21-Mar-14 23:28:25

3 ? Not a cat In hells chance would I have let my ds go then and I'm not a helicopter parent

SummerRain Fri 21-Mar-14 23:30:03

That's insane shock

At least half if not more of those kids are going to be crying and wanting to go home at bedtime... Utter madness.

What on earth does a three year old get from a residential?

TheDayOfMyDoctor Fri 21-Mar-14 23:31:26

No I wouldn't have allowed it. DS has regularly stayed with GPs and godparents from a young age, but I wouldn't have been keen on this at all.

JodieGarberJacob Fri 21-Mar-14 23:31:45

Why on earth would a nursery want to do this? Does everyone sleep in the same room? What sort of place welcomes children this young? As a parent I wouldn't even consider it.

MissMarjoribanks Fri 21-Mar-14 23:32:51

3? Too young! My DS went on a sleepover at 4 and was fine but he wouldn't be fine with something like this.

Twilightsparklesmama Fri 21-Mar-14 23:35:27

Jeese no flipping way I was totally freaking out when my DD went on her Pre school trip for 4 hours 6 miles down the road over night away from home at 3????!!!!!!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 21-Mar-14 23:35:50

Thats insane!

Lucylouby Fri 21-Mar-14 23:37:50

Not a chance my dc would go. Is this in the uk? I have never heard of nurseries doing this, although unfortunately I probably know a couple of families who would take the nursery up on the offer. Although I can't think of any nursery staff who would be keen to have their nursery children over night. I know rainbow guides sometimes go on sleepovers at 5 and I think that is too young to be away. 3, no way!

OpalQuartz Fri 21-Mar-14 23:39:37

Far too young.

pookamoo Fri 21-Mar-14 23:39:50

DD1 had not even slept through the night by 3!

nancy75 Fri 21-Mar-14 23:41:59

At 3 my dd went to spain with my parents for a week, even I wouldn't have sent her away overnight with the nursery

ExcuseTypos Fri 21-Mar-14 23:43:55

This cannot be true. Are you sure your friend isn't pulling your leg?

ThePinkOcelot Fri 21-Mar-14 23:45:49

No way, that's ridiculous!

pillowaddict Sat 22-Mar-14 00:01:07

dd has had overnight stays with my df and stepmum before df died when she was tiny, and also with my dsis who adores her for a weekend, but as much as I love her nursery and the staff I can't see me letting them do that for at least another 10 years! how odd...

Goldmandra Sat 22-Mar-14 00:07:32

With my early years practitioner hat on I am shuddering at the paperwork and organisation involved in a venture like this. I'm also wondering who is meant to benefit? Is it the parents or the children? What exactly are the children supposed to gain from it?

With my parent hat one I'm thinking no bloody way!

Jemimapuddlemuck Sat 22-Mar-14 00:09:51

Surely she's got the wrong end of the stick and parents are going too? Even for day trips at DS's nursery parents are encouraged to come along.

PogoBob Sat 22-Mar-14 00:11:42

YANBU - DD is 3 1/2 and wouldn't hack this at all. As a previous poster mentioned, when her nursery had a day trip parents went too.

ErrolTheDragon Sat 22-Mar-14 00:12:46

>I can't pinpoint why I wouldn't be comfortable with it, but I just would!

I can - it's because 3 is too young for this sort of thing.

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 22-Mar-14 00:16:04

why not,the children are with the nursery full time why is the overnight an issue.

You either trust the nursery or you don't.

I am in the view that if you allow your child to spend x amount with a nursery then why not over night.

AlbertoFrog Sat 22-Mar-14 00:17:00

3 year old DS has never spent a night away from me (not pfb honestly, just not had the chance grin). Surely no nursery would sanction an outing such as this?

Are parents going too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now