Talk

Advanced search

to think #nomakeupselfies shows women's attitudes to beauty to be totally false?

(73 Posts)
slugseatlettuce Fri 21-Mar-14 21:50:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeaAndALemonTart Fri 21-Mar-14 22:05:52

I think most people on mine look much better with it tbh so UABU.

IndiansInTheLobby Fri 21-Mar-14 22:09:33

I haven't got Facebook anymore, but I would guess people take a number of pictures before getting the right one. I also bet lots still have a bit of make up on. Plus people touch up pictures don't they with effects.

Sirzy Fri 21-Mar-14 22:11:38

I think it's sad that someone going without make up is seen as them being 'brave' and for some there is this assumption that the need make up which is a shame

ICanSeeTheSun Fri 21-Mar-14 22:14:38

there are other threads about this, why start another.

I have taken a selfie and donated to breast cancer this week and do you know what a silly fad over facebook has done, i have actually checked for lumps and bumps in my breast.

losercruiser Fri 21-Mar-14 22:16:22

Makes me think that we're doing it all wrong by covering our natural beauty with a load of slap

YABU.

It's pretty demeaning to refer to it as a "load of slap". Let people wear make-up, let people wear no make-up - I don't care either way as long as they person was happy in their choice.

Just worry about choices for yourself.

heidiwine Fri 21-Mar-14 22:17:35

Agree - all my friends are so much prettier without make up on, must be the gorgeous company I keep!

BadgersNadgers Fri 21-Mar-14 22:19:49

Some of my friends look shocking. I look like a babboon's arse.

BookFairy Fri 21-Mar-14 22:21:19

It takes less time to check your breasts than to put your face on in the morning. I believe that was the original point of the "no make up selfie".
The beauty industry spends millions making us feel like we need it, so of course we will start to believe it!

WeeSleekit Fri 21-Mar-14 22:24:22

I can catagorically state that I do not look better without make up. I wear natural 'slap' that enhances what I have and makes me feel better. Not wearing make up is not liberating for me at all and I am fed up getting badgered on fb to do, despite me already saying I've donated. The last thing I want to do is have a picture of me with no make up on the Internet for all eternity. Think of me what you will about that.

Shoopshoop2 Fri 21-Mar-14 22:34:28

No-one looks better with no make-up. It's a brave humiliation to go without.

Beamur Fri 21-Mar-14 22:37:37

The campaign has raised a fair bit of money and been a good talking point on a number of issues.
I don't agree with you entirely on this point, but would agree that many of my fb friends do look very lovely without make up on - more so probably than they realise.

TiredFeet Fri 21-Mar-14 22:52:34

I am a bit shocked that it is a 'big thing' to put up a picture of yourself with no make up on, I am pretty sure I'm not wearing make up in most of the photos of me on there.

I am also not sure there's a massive need to raise awareness, I'd say in fact it is something people are quite aware of

But I think it is wonderful how much money has been raised

ICanSeeTheSun Fri 21-Mar-14 22:55:03

Shoops are you that shallow to judge someone on their looks, then i suggest you are the problem

ScarletLady02 Fri 21-Mar-14 22:56:27

I love makeup but I do not think a woman without is a "brave humiliation"

TheScience Fri 21-Mar-14 22:56:41

Most people over 25 look better with make-up. Young girls look better without the layers of slap.

I almost never wear make-up so no point in a no make-up selfie for me grin

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 21-Mar-14 22:58:03

I almost never wear make-up so no point in a no make-up selfie for me

^^seconded.

monicalewinski Fri 21-Mar-14 23:02:11

The only reason a lot of people have looked 'better' is because they're not being entirely truthful about their 'bare' face.

E.g. most people have tinted lashes/brows so have lovely 'naturally' framed eyes, a bit of eye brightening eye drops, some skin brightener/radiance cream and a bit of lip balm, hair pulled back for the face so the face looks fresh and 'open' and several pictures taken before selecting the most flattering angle/lighting.

Et voila! A 'brave' make-up free selfie.

ScarletLady02 Fri 21-Mar-14 23:03:17

I generally do wear makeup, I'm an aspiring MUA and I'm 30 years old.

I do however think I look OK with no makeup as well

ICanSeeTheSun Fri 21-Mar-14 23:04:47

FFS, stop judging women about make up/ not make up.

who need sexism if women are happily discussing who looks better with out without make up.

How can a newborn baby girl be cute, a toddler girl be cute, preschool be cute, pre 13 be cute then a difficult age between 13-20 where they are cute/sexy ( or not this is the time)

grow the fuck up, stop judging women.

needaholidaynow Fri 21-Mar-14 23:05:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tilliebob Fri 21-Mar-14 23:16:58

I didn't post a make free selfie because 1) the word selfie makes me want to stab myself in the eye 2) I am usually make up free - no time,money or inclination for it 3) the idea of putting a photo of myself on my FB won't be happening and 4) I just donated money to a couple of cancer charities and didn't post about it. Although maybe I should have, to raise awareness? Just feels a bit smug and ooh look what a good person I am. Not my way, I'm afraid.

kelhen Sat 22-Mar-14 04:58:15

I'm so incredibly naive, I had no idea being make up free was such a big deal. I've only started wearing some tinted moisturiser and mascara regularly in the past six months, obviously I spent the previous 37 years looking like a hideous troll.

Tryharder Sat 22-Mar-14 06:17:56

I regularly wear no make up so they are fairly irrelevant for me also. But I am not going to put a picture of it on FB either. In my head I am gorgeous and don't need make up, I do not need the reality shattered grin

I am quite enjoying all the 'artful' poses. The best ones are my nephew's 14/15 year old classmates who tag him in their photos with a stoic 'here goes..' type comment like you've asked them to chop their own arm off. Followed by 3 million OMG your gawjus comments wink

SayraT Sat 22-Mar-14 07:38:41

Some of my friends definitely look worse without make up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now