Talk

Advanced search

Is it ever reasonable to join an Internet forum purely just to be nasty?

(37 Posts)
HoneyDragon Fri 21-Mar-14 20:11:07

Not controversial, not insult or attack particularly, not even consistently opiniated. But just be downright shitty ever time you post. Always.

Why?

Why?

confused

drnoitall Fri 21-Mar-14 20:14:12

Is this question aimed at something or somebody particular?

SirChenjin Fri 21-Mar-14 20:16:36

Because they are sad individuals with no life outside MN, and they like nothing better than to wind people up and then sit back and enjoy the resulting drama. The best thing to do is to ignore, ignore, ignore - in the same way we do when the DCs are being vile.

HoneyDragon Fri 21-Mar-14 20:16:47

No. Because I'm not like that. It's aimed at someone's across some places.

I usually kind of get that their are motivations for Internet oddity, but not this, I can't see the reward.

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 21-Mar-14 20:18:47

Because some people are cunts.

They just can't help it. I feel sorry for them.

Imagine going through life like that.

Mintyy Fri 21-Mar-14 20:18:58

Of course its not reasonable but plenty of current posters on this forum appear to have done it. Who knows what kicks they get out of it? Best to ignore and/or feel sorry for em, I say.

justwantitmadeforme Fri 21-Mar-14 20:20:06

Nope never reasonable. I think it's sad really if that's how they get their kicks.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 21-Mar-14 20:20:23

Some people are just mean spirited, and yes there's loads of them on MN.
I wonder what they're like in RL.

HoneyDragon Fri 21-Mar-14 20:22:17

But it's not an uncommon thing to see is it? It seems accepted that it will happen on the Internet more than in RL?

MammaTJ Fri 21-Mar-14 20:22:35

PM the the links and I can be nasty back!

No, it is never reasonable, unless it is me, in reaction to nastyness to people I like!

Who has upset you HD?

NewtRipley Fri 21-Mar-14 20:24:35

Not uncommon. I can understand it actually. It is power without responsibility. It is a way of expressing anger without consequence. Pretty sad actually.

HoneyDragon Fri 21-Mar-14 20:26:40

No one has upset me. It takes a LOT to get me really upset. grin

It's just after a bit you notice certain users and behaviours don't you? I've noticed if posters all ignore them they don't return again, they'll keep on moving on, like malevolent, slightly rabid Littlest Hobo.

EllaFitzgerald Fri 21-Mar-14 20:27:16

I think it's because there are no real consequences. If you behaved like that irl, it wouldn't be too long before someone pulled you up on it, or worse. But on here, someone can be as nasty as they like. Quite like bullying really, not picking on anyone who'll likely put you on your bum.

Quoteunquote Fri 21-Mar-14 20:31:25

this is interesting

If you think of it as keeping them occupied and the world a bit safer it one small positive.

We really should try to find out why we seem to produce so many unhappy people.

usualsuspectt Fri 21-Mar-14 20:32:00

They must get a kick out of it.

Sad fuckers.

Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 20:32:09

I know what you mean and I can think of a couple.

Much better to join my Renaissance clothes thread instead and fantasise about wafting through palazzos.

usualsuspectt Fri 21-Mar-14 20:33:14

But why don't more people challenge them?

Is it because you just roll your eyes and think 'what a dick'

Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 20:34:25

I've challenged some on threads then I go and forget their name until I spot them again

Mintyy Fri 21-Mar-14 20:34:29

I do tend to challenge them usual grin. Get plenty of deletions for my efforts! I've challenged one tonight.

Mintyy Fri 21-Mar-14 20:35:49

We should all remember to report people if we don't like their tone remember.

They don't have to break talk guidelines. If you don't like their tone, report away - HQ will love you for it.

GarlicMarchHare Fri 21-Mar-14 20:38:50

Oh, I dunno grin I sometimes come on here just to be grumpy. I find a thread full of IPOATS BVVU and have a go. It's cathartic!

Mumsnet used to have continual frequent Chat threads started for the sole purpose of randomly insulting one another. They were great smile Sadly, The New Mumsnet ™ doesn't understand mutually consensual rudeness <sheds a tiny tear>

usualsuspectt Fri 21-Mar-14 20:39:03

Well I challenge all the bloody time and think people think 'fucking hell it's usual moaning again' grin

Then I think 'is it me'

HoneyDragon Fri 21-Mar-14 20:39:35

That is interesting Quote, so maybe they trolling on the light side? Saves loved ones being subjected to their venom.

I do wonder if be causes it accepted that Internet society has these uses is the issue? But then again challenging them sees an escalation of malice rather than the behaviour ceasing.

GarlicMarchHare Fri 21-Mar-14 20:39:51

I dislike your TONE, Mintyy!

creampie Fri 21-Mar-14 20:40:27

Rabid littlest hobo! Excellent smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now