Advanced search

AIBU to be confused about council tax?

(14 Posts)
LilJinx Fri 21-Mar-14 20:08:15

Right, so I moved into a new place a couple of months ago and I am the only person on the tenancy agreement. I am going to be living alone in this property- no flatmates or sublets.

However, I have my mum visiting from abroad. She's been here a little under two months and is going to stay here another 3 weeks or so.

Where does this fit into the whole single person's discount? I have only paid one instalment of council tax yet and I didn't claim a discount on it. However, after that I did call to confirm bill amounts and during that conversation (when asked) I did declare that I was going to be the sole occupier of this property and mentioned that I had a visitor.

Does anyone know how long someone can visit before it starts to become issue in terms of council tax? I heard some where the limit was 3 months.

round2 Fri 21-Mar-14 20:14:36

6 weeks in Wales. Probably best to check with your Local Authority. Have you checked their website? The information you need is more than likely on there.

LilJinx Fri 21-Mar-14 20:19:14

I can't find the info on their website. I can only see something about how it's fine for someone to stay as long as their "main residence" is elsewhere. In this case it is.

LilJinx Fri 21-Mar-14 20:23:45

And I'm not in Wales so I don't know if the 6 week thing applies.

LilJinx Fri 21-Mar-14 20:29:52

I'm not exactly sure of what I am supposed to do anyway- do I then pay the full amount of the council tax of claim a discount?

gordyslovesheep Fri 21-Mar-14 20:31:51

google your local council

click on Council Tax

Find the telephone number for the office

ring them on Monday and ask them

LilJinx Fri 21-Mar-14 20:35:07

For various reasons I'd like to know now if possible, which is why I asked. Even I know I can call and ask them.

OddBoots Fri 21-Mar-14 20:41:35

I can't find anything on a national site but many local council sites say someone can stay with you without paying council tax provided your house isn't their main residence.


LilJinx Fri 21-Mar-14 20:45:03

Thanks, that helps. I found something similar but I imagine that there must be some time limit on this. otherwise people could get someone to move in for months and just say that this wasn't their main residence to claim the discount.

LilJinx Fri 21-Mar-14 20:45:48

I was hoping someone might have had a personal experience with this sort of thing and would be able to tell me how it works,

round2 Fri 21-Mar-14 20:52:19

Sorry, yes if they have a sole and main residence elsewhere you should be entitled. The Local Authority may want to ask some questions to verify this isn't their main home.

LilJinx Fri 21-Mar-14 20:56:30

Thanks, this helps. So am I obligated to tell them? Or since it's a visitor with a main residence elsewhere should I just carry on as usual?

round2 Fri 21-Mar-14 21:12:00

I would not be informing my local authority every time I had a visitor to my property. It's not the persons main and sole residence so therefore you are entitled to the discount. If they're notified there is another adult in the property they would have a duty to investigate it. I personally would make a courtesy call to explain the circumstances but I wouldn't say you were obligated to inform them unless there was a change in your circumstances.

LilJinx Fri 21-Mar-14 23:11:32

Thanks round2!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: