Talk

Advanced search

To ask some questions about babies that may sound silly

(34 Posts)
ImaLooney Fri 21-Mar-14 19:39:52

Sort of things I have come across with my new 4 month old baby that I have been pondering, things I feel too trivial and silly to ask in RL.
Ok so here goes,
1, Do you wash all new clothing before baby wears? If so then up to what age?
2, What does a 4month+ baby put on feet? When out and about mainly
3, Is it poor hygiene not to wash mats that have dribble and or posset on? My play mat is not machine washable but it's material so cannot be wipe cleaned.
4, what does a baby wear when going swimming?

Thank you for your help MN!! As always

IndiansInTheLobby Fri 21-Mar-14 19:41:47

1)no
2) socks and sock ons. Also slipper type socks.
3) I just wiped what couldn't be washed.
4)my son just wore trunks

chandellina Fri 21-Mar-14 19:44:30

I would wash clothes, but I do that for my own too sometimes. Just do whatever feels right.
Socks.
Wipe with a sponge or cloth.
Swim nappy and swimsuit.

StealthPolarBear Fri 21-Mar-14 19:44:48

1) yes for as long as I can be bothered, post six months
2) babygro ends
3) IMO stuff that is material goes in the washer. Even if it makes noises or you have to bend it to fit!
4) swim nappy and beyond about a year trunks or costume

AlpacaLypse Fri 21-Mar-14 19:44:56

1, I didn't.

2, socks. Tights if they are inveterate sock-puller-offers.

3, just do your best.

4, special swimming nappies. They weren't ridiculously expensive and save the embarrassment of the entire pool closing and everyone giving you filthy looks.

Mumtothenipper Fri 21-Mar-14 19:45:24

Hi Ima,
You're not silly at all. I only figured most this stuff out by copying what was going on around me! So, my dd is 14 months and my opinions would be...
1). I wash most new stuff still before she wears it.
2) socks/tights if not in a babygrow. When my dd was 4 months it was pretty cold so when going out she'd wear an all in one bunny suit to eep warm.
3) spray with antibacterial spray and wipe with a damp cloth.
4) swim nappy, happy nappy, wetsuit.

HTH. smile

formerbabe Fri 21-Mar-14 19:45:27

1. For newborns, then wash. I gave this up at about 3 months. I know some people who wash all clothing before use even for adults.

2. At 4 months, mine were still in babygros so no 'foot' issues! If summer, they can have bare feet, or very soft booties if wearing an outfit in cooler weather.

3. I would wipe with a babywipe and forget it.

4. Swim nappy and a swimming costume for a girl and trunks for a boy.

cece Fri 21-Mar-14 19:45:45

1. No
2. socks
3. Either wash or wipe down whichever is easiest/possible
4. swim trunks and a swim nappy

StealthPolarBear Fri 21-Mar-14 19:45:49

Swim nappies let wee through. So learn from my experience they are not a good alternative to nappies when out and about

sittingatmydeskagain Fri 21-Mar-14 19:45:55

1. I did with first baby, but not second
2. Socks
3. Just wiped
4. Just a swim nappy

AlpacaLypse Fri 21-Mar-14 19:46:07

Also just because something says it's not machine washable doesn't mean its true.

Ploppy16 Fri 21-Mar-14 19:46:56

No
tights under pants if cold, socks and sock ons if warmer. All of mine went barefoot as much as possible in hot weather.
A wipe over with a baby wipe will be fine.
Swim nappies.
x

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 21-Mar-14 19:47:02

In my world,

1. When I could be bothered. We should all do it as adults really.
2. Socks, then off, then socks, then off <repeat>
3. I bought a mat that could be washed for this reason.
4. Swim diaper. Any cute thing you want is an optional extra.

Yonineedaminute Fri 21-Mar-14 19:47:17

1. Yes always wash new clothes. When ds was about 3 months I didn't bother to wash some vests and at the same time he developed a horrible rash which turned into fairly severe eczema. I think it could just be coincidence but have always washed everything since then.
2. My 4 month old almost always just wore socks. He did have some soft shoes but they were a bi of a pita. He also had these really cute socks that looked like shoes smile
3. Never washed the play mat I don't think, ds has always been very healthy!
4. Ds wears a swim nappy and one of those all in one suit things. I think a swim nappy On its own is fine, but those suits are really cute!

Hope that is helpful!

Martorana Fri 21-Mar-14 19:47:27

No
Socks or tights or nothing depending on the weather
Wipe down with a baby wipe
Swim nappy- either disposable or reusable.

JonathanGirl Fri 21-Mar-14 19:47:56

1. I always wash new clothing (on super quick 15 main cycle) as if when you spill something on brand new clothes it is harder to get the stain out.

2. Socks. We had a cosytoe thing on the pushchair in cold weather too.

3. I just put the playmat in the washing machine
anyway - came out fine.

4. We had a reusable swimming nappy. Think I got it in Boots.

CrohnicallyChanging Fri 21-Mar-14 19:48:39

I pre-washed the newborn stuff up to about 3-6 months size, but that was more a nesting thing as we had clothes in those sizes before having baby.
Socks or tights in the house, when out and about I had a couple of pairs of slippers from primark that had turn overs like socks at the ankles, they stayed on much better than any others that I tried.
I used baby wipes on everything!
Swim nappy is a must, i had a baby swim vest (like a baby wetsuit) when she was little, costume over the top when she outgrew the swim vest (I just had the one in 3-6 month size)

TheScience Fri 21-Mar-14 19:49:31

1. did with pfb, not so much with nsb
2. once they are out of babygrows then I like those little leather slippers or slipper socks
3. I put most things in the wash. Who sells not-cleanable play mats fgs?
4. I used a reusable swim nappy and a baby wet suit as DS1 got cold very quickly otherwise.

toomuchtooold Fri 21-Mar-14 19:53:19

1. Did it up till they were about 3m. Then non bio washing powder till about a year, and now they are two they get the stuff straight on their backs and their stuff is washed in the main bio wash with ours.

2. Babygros! I used to try and put socks on them but they always fell off DT2 still can't keep socks on and goes about the house with flappy clown feet

3. I chucked mine in the washing machine after they had norovirus (it was also wipe only but it was either that or chuck it) but generally I think you don't have them that long so they don't get too grotty. (You should see out buggy. And the back of the car. Jesus.)

4. Swim nappy - you can get disposables or reusables. and about 300 towels for them because they get everything wet

babybythesea Fri 21-Mar-14 19:53:37

1. Newborn stuff, yes. After three months, no.
2. Baby-gro or tights. DD1 had socks because it was summer when she was that age. DD2 has permanently cold feet, and is a practiced sock remover so she only wears tights.
3. Wipe if it's only a bit, machine if a lot or it has built up over time and is foul!
4. Swim nappy and then a Happy Nappy.

JimmyCorkhill Fri 21-Mar-14 19:53:37

2) Sainsbury's sell these lovely baby moccasin type things. Basically a stretchy sock with a soft leather sole. You put them on over the regular socks. They come in different colours for boys or girls. My DDs pair were used extensively and they still look new. You can wash them too. I can't recommend them enough smile Oh, and they're really cheap too.

adagio Fri 21-Mar-14 19:54:42

1) wash anything 'underwear' i.e. vests mostly. I do the same for adults having once seen a gruesome documentary about a parasite someone got on her boob from a new bra. I stopped washing new cardies/jumpers/'outfits' at about 5 months (when she could roll and was eating everything she could grab anyway)
2) socks tights or booties if not built in to gro/pramsuit or whatever
3) I am with Stealth and if it can be manhandled into the machine, it goes in once it gets manly enough - first few dribbles are baby wiped, if really bad, wash it.
4) Swim nappy, then 'UV' suit - basically bathers with a bit more substance as the pool tends to be chuffing freezing. Oh and I have recently added a wetsuit vest thing as another warm layer (got on ebay for 99p) to stop the baby going blue quite so fast...

adagio Fri 21-Mar-14 19:55:40

manky. Damn autocorrect I am yet to meet a manly baby item.

HorraceTheOtter Fri 21-Mar-14 20:03:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lucylouby Fri 21-Mar-14 20:06:16

1) for pfb all clothes were washed before wear until she was about 4. For dc3, I think I did the first size clothes and everything else she wore straight of the hanger.
2) socks, until the weather gets warmer and then bare baby feet are adorable.
3) wipe the mat with a cloth, but pretty much all material can go in the machine. Put it on a low temp, quick wash, fingers crossed it will be fine!
4) a swimming nappy. We had a shamble one, I think it was called a happy nappy by splash about. But the dds had a swimming costume too. Looking back I have no idea why they wore one, I guess I thought they looked cute in them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now